Taylor Swift

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think this is the final push for that grammy nod for Lover (the song), she seems to reeeeally want that to be nominated for song of the year. Hence why she randomly (and a bit cringily) bought up that if she threw a party for all the song writers on it, it would just be her on that Kimmel/Fallon show.

Hopefully after the noms are announced in a week, she'll promote the man as a single!

Also looking forward to the AMAs - apparently she's doing a montage of all her hits

Reactions: 1
I think this is the final push for that grammy nod for Lover (the song), she seems to reeeeally want that to be nominated for song of the year. Hence why she randomly (and a bit cringily) bought up that if she threw a party for all the song writers on it, it would just be her on that Kimmel/Fallon show.

Hopefully after the noms are announced in a week, she'll promote the man as a single!

Also looking forward to the AMAs - apparently she's doing a montage of all her hits
Yes, I am excited about the AMAs performance too. Maybe she will perform a new song?

Totally thought she was going to announce The Man as a new single as well given all the suits she has been wearing.

Reactions: 2
Yes, I am excited about the AMAs performance too. Maybe she will perform a new song?

Totally thought she was going to announce The Man as a new single as well given all the suits she has been wearing.
Looks like the Cats song is out tonight, wonder if she'll do that.

There are all sorts of rumours/theories that she's releasing something on her 30th bday too as it's Friday 13th

So Taylor is being awarded Artist of the Decade and is meant to perform a medley of her songs. You might remember, her old boss Scott Borchetta sold her music catalog to Scooter. Well, they've now said she cannot perform any of the old songs on tv. Poor her. She said she tried to work it out privately but can't. She was also meant to have a Netflix docu but they are not allowing any old music in that either.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 6
So Taylor is being awarded Artist of the Decade and is meant to perform a medley of her songs. You might remember, her old boss Scott Borchetta sold her music catalog to Scooter. Well, they've now said she cannot perform any of the old songs on tv. Poor her. She said she tried to work it out privately but can't. She was also meant to have a Netflix docu but they are not allowing any old music in that either.
I'm really glad she's calling them out for punishing her by not letting her celebrate her decade award.

I saw someone on Tumblr mention this idea but she should totally just stand there while her lyrics run across the screen in silence and then perform the Man.

Side note - cant wait for the Netfilx doc!

Reactions: 5
I do like her shining a light on the murky stuff. But at the same time I'm never sure if I can take what she says at face value, as she's been quite inventive many times.

I know nothing, but if the legal issue is it constitutes a new recording couldn't they resolve it by using a license arrangement for the performance or something? Seems funny that a for broadcast performance is seen as a new recording.

I do like her shining a light on the murky stuff. But at the same time I'm never sure if I can take what she says at face value, as she's been quite inventive many times.

I know nothing, but if the legal issue is it constitutes a new recording couldn't they resolve it by using a license arrangement for the performance or something? Seems funny that a for broadcast performance is seen as a new recording.

They are obviously very pissed that she is going to re-record everything they just bought and they know she has a huge fanbase supporting her so they are being petty with her using her own music without agreeing to not re-record.

They are obviously very pissed that she is going to re-record everything they just bought and they know she has a huge fanbase supporting her so they are being petty with her using her own music without agreeing to not re-record.
Oh definitely being petty, but I'm not sure if they can block the live performance. I'm thinking its the documentary she's pissed off with the most. Might as well wait another 12 months until she's allowed to finance the re-recordings and own them.

Can't she use covers like they used to play in pound stretcher, "in the style of" :D

Oh definitely being petty, but I'm not sure if they can block the live performance. I'm thinking its the documentary she's pissed off with the most. Might as well wait another 12 months until she's allowed to finance the re-recordings and own them.

Can't she use covers like they used to play in pound stretcher, "in the style of" :D
It's classed as a recorded performance, not a live performance because it airs a few seconds on delay. So they are using that loophole to block her from singing her old back catalogue.

I guess they could just keep doing this anytime she's due to "pre-record" (even if pre record means a few seconds earlier) a performance.

This is a great explaination of why her re-doing her songs scares them so much (sorry I had to copy and paste cos it kept only coming up with one screenshot - it's from jdeeth on reddit)

Is this the first time Taylor has used the term "copycat" recordings? Maybe it came from Scooter/Scott, but that is a very interesting word.
This is about money. The re-recordings scare the crap out of Borchetta and Braun. I'm going to repeat what I said on several other threads last summer:
The real money in the deal is not in re-selling recordings to Swifties (streaming, download or physical) . It's in licensing the back catalog for movies and TV and ads and games and, yes, Netflix documentaries (that's gotta be an 8 figure deal). Taylor owns the songs, they own the recordings, and neither can profit without the other. When they bought the catalog they figured she would play ball for mutual financial benefit.
Re-recording screws the whole plan. Swifties, stop dreaming about re-interpretations and that 20 minute All Too Well. The re-recordings will be sound-alikes for licensing. Taylor will then only agree to license those sound-alikes, not the originals. Borchetta and Braun get nothing from that. They lose hundreds of millions of dollars if all they can do is just re-sell six old CDs to fans who already own them in multiple formats.
So Braun and Borchetta are playing hardball in an effort to block the re-recordings. The little bit about "stop saying mean things about us" is just smoke. They don't care what Taylor's fans think of them, and they don't believe, can't even imagine, that Taylor will simply refuse to do business with them at any price. They want to force her to the table to cut a deal for licensing, and they believe undercutting the marketing of the current era and undercutting her artistic control is the way to do that. I see this pushed even further, to the point where they make the spurious argument that any live performance of old songs is a "re-recording."
But the more they push, the more she digs her high heels in. (They underestimated just who they were dealing with.)
Taylor's business (and personal and artistic) goal remains the same: outright ownership of her back catalog with no strings attached. That IMHO is why she first brought up re-recording, and why she may have to follow through on what I believe was originally meant as a business threat. In Taylor's scenario, re-recording, and denying licensing for the originals, devalues Borchetta and Braun's investment to the point that they lose money, a LOT of money. That forces them to cut their losses and sell her the back catalog.
The downside to having to follow through on the threat to re-record is that it costs Taylor time she could have spent on other things, like a tour or work on TS8.
Does all this hurt Taylor on a personal level, of course. But that's not the point. Braun and Borchetta aren't doing it just to be spiteful. The money is the point.

Reactions: 4
I was wondering if it’s to do with the broadcasting rights of the live performance rather than the awards themselves? Like whoever’s bought that has it in the contract that the owners of all the songs agree to it being broadcast.

The AMAs has a delay which is seen as a recorded TV show so that is why they are saying it is "re-recorded." it is a loophole. They're just being dicks.

Yes. Taylor's music makes up most of Big Machine's money. When she rerecords them, no one will listen to the catelog they have and their investments will tank. She was Scott Borchetta's cash cow.

I was wondering if it’s to do with the broadcasting rights of the live performance rather than the awards themselves? Like whoever’s bought that has it in the contract that the owners of all the songs agree to it being broadcast.
I don't think so. They are just being difficult. She has already performed old songs on TV this year that were recorded. But suddenly now they have a problem with her doing it at the AMAs when she's being awarded Artist of the Decade.

Her publicist put out a statement refuting Big Machines claims that "the narrative Taylor created doesn't exist." That was in their statement and it is gaslighting to make her look crazy. Vile.

They also said Taylor owes them money... Well, her publicist is saying BM owe her almost 8 million in royalties. Pretty sure I believe her team over theirs.

Any thoughts on other big artists not saying anything? The fans are gunning for Ed Sheeran and Shawn Mendes in particular as her friends and collaborators.

Personally I dont really like Ed and his association with JB

Any thoughts on other big artists not saying anything? The fans are gunning for Ed Sheeran and Shawn Mendes in particular as her friends and collaborators.

Personally I dont really like Ed and his association with JB
I can't stand Ed.

I think they might not be saying anything as they may be in similar situations themselves. Look at how big Taylor is yet she is still dealing with this tit. Many of her peers aren't as big as her so they may feel threatened by their labels, etc.

I am not a huge fan of Selena's music but she is clearly a real friend to Taylor and always has her back. Think of all the people Taylor has taken up onto her stage and none of them have spoken out.

Something doesn’t feel right with this. I feel like we’re getting half truths from both sides.

And Taylor’s drama queen history doesn’t do her any favours especially when her industry friends are keeping quite.

it feels a bit weird right now. Maybe I haven’t looked into it all enough 🤦‍♀️

Something doesn’t feel right with this. I feel like we’re getting half truths from both sides.

And Taylor’s drama queen history doesn’t do her any favours especially when her industry friends are keeping quite.

it feels a bit weird right now. Maybe I haven’t looked into it all enough 🤦‍♀️
Many of them probably fear the repercussions of talking out, as even someone as big as Taylor is getting tit for this. Unlike the Kanye situation, all of her statements will definitely have been run by her lawyers. This is a legal situation and her lawyers would have had to have "okayed" the statements. Her lawyer is Donald Passman, one of the most well-respected lawyers in the music industry.

I honestly think they're just trying to have the last control over her that they can have. She was BM's cashcow and she is no longer with them. The last thing they can grasp on to is her masters. She is going to rerecord them next year so the originals will lose their value. They said to her "you can only perform your old songs if you don't rerecord them." That is blackmail.

The same thing happened with Prince's masters and also Michael Jackson bought The Beatle's masters years ago. There were huge battles over it. Prince went and changed his performing name so that he could perform his OWN music.

Taylor's masters are valued at more than $300 million, of course, they don't want her to rerecord.

Thoughts on Beautiful Ghosts? I love it. The lyrics are classic Taylor. And I am big fan of musicals.

My favourite lyrics:
* Should I take chances, when no one took chances on me?
* All that I wanted, was to be wanted. - Flashback to her song Fifteen: "when all that you wanted was to be wanted."
* And the memories were lost long ago but at least you have beautiful ghosts.
* Visions of dazzling rooms, I'll never be let into.
* Scared to call them my friends, and be broken again. Is this hope just a mystical dream?
* I feel so alive with these phantoms of the night.
* And I know that life isn't safe but it's wild and free.

Last edited:
Many of them probably fear the repercussions of talking out, as even someone as big as Taylor is getting tit for this. Unlike the Kanye situation, all of her statements will definitely have been run by her lawyers. This is a legal situation and her lawyers would have had to have "okayed" the statements. Her lawyer is Donald Passman, one of the most well-respected lawyers in the music industry.

I honestly think they're just trying to have the last control over her that they can have. She was BM's cashcow and she is no longer with them. The last thing they can grasp on to is her masters. She is going to rerecord them next year so the originals will lose their value. They said to her "you can only perform your old songs if you don't rerecord them." That is blackmail.

The same thing happened with Prince's masters and also Michael Jackson bought The Beatle's masters years ago. There were huge battles over it. Prince went and changed his performing name so that he could perform his OWN music.

Taylor's masters are valued at more than $300 million, of course, they don't want her to rerecord.

Thoughts on Beautiful Ghosts? I love it. The lyrics are classic Taylor. And I am big fan of musicals.

My favourite lyrics:
* Should I take chances, when no one took chances on me?
* All that I wanted, was to be wanted. - Flashback to her song Fifteen: "when all that you wanted was to be wanted."
* And the memories were lost long ago but at least you have beautiful ghosts.
* Visions of dazzling rooms, I'll never be let into.
* Scared to call them my friends, and be broken again. Is this hope just a mystical dream?
* I feel so alive with these phantoms of the night.
* And I know that life isn't safe but it's wild and free.
I’ve never seen cats so can’t judge it on how well it goes with the musical but great lyrics as expected and I think she could do really well in that area. She has a real talent in writing other people’s stories it seems. Proof of that in DBATC too.

Her voice to me is a bit odd in this song cos she was trying to do a musical theatre voice. I look forward to hearing the actress sing it. But I can never fault her on the emotion in her voice.

Overall nice song but a bit forgettable. Eg “You” from Ghost, “For Good” from Wicked are songs that hit me straight away.

Where’s shawn mendes at!!!
Fake GF has spoke up, little Shawn has done a duet with her and nothing. 😏

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.