Taylor Swift #2 Look What You Made Her Do (Taylor’s Version)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love Taylor Swift and am an absolute swifty and really love the political stance she’s taken in the last few years but I can’t help but think of the internalised misogyny she has within her also. I think someone mentioned in the previous thread about her female collaborations, how no female collab sings any verse/collab with her, they’re just background vocals as opposed to Ed Sheehan or Bon Iver who take equal partnerships in songs. Also I’m watching her live at the American Music Awards and she has two ballet dancers perform while she sings the song Lover, and they are completely under the spotlight, as in you can barely see them perform under the lighting. It’s like she chose to have the lighting on her playing piano rather than on the dancers portraying the emotion of the song . It reminds me of the backstage video of Shake It Off where she was trying on Pointe Shoes and all the ballerinas were encouraging her, I did ballet for 15 years and getting on pointe shoes takes serious work and dedication and she was there posing with them and they were all cheering her on, yet she was acting like she was such a bad dancer in the music video, I didn’t understand why she pretended to be so happy being a bad dancer when she was so eager to show how she can do the splits and try on professional pointe shoes 🤷‍♀️ I love Taylor but as much as she is trying to live this “men oppress women persona”, I think she has to recognise her own internalised misogyny . I mean hello, her whole Bad Blood video was a take down of Katy Perry (which she never took responsibility for, rather glorified the power she had in humiliating her i.e nominated for vmas etc...) I do love Taylor, but I wish she would take responsibility for her own doings rather then pin them on something else. The whole “media pitted me and Katy against eachother” narrative doesn’t sit will with me. She created that narrative, take control of that. I do love her but I don’t like the victim mentality she still holds.

Reactions: 12
I love Taylor Swift and am an absolute swifty and really love the political stance she’s taken in the last few years but I can’t help but think of the internalised misogyny she has within her also. I think someone mentioned in the previous thread about her female collaborations, how no female collab sings any verse/collab with her, they’re just background vocals as opposed to Ed Sheehan or Bon Iver who take equal partnerships in songs. Also I’m watching her live at the American Music Awards and she has two ballet dancers perform while she sings the song Lover, and they are completely under the spotlight, as in you can barely see them perform under the lighting. It’s like she chose to have the lighting on her playing piano rather than on the dancers portraying the emotion of the song . It reminds me of the backstage video of Shake It Off where she was trying on Pointe Shoes and all the ballerinas were encouraging her, I did ballet for 15 years and getting on pointe shoes takes serious work and dedication and she was there posing with them and they were all cheering her on, yet she was acting like she was such a bad dancer in the music video, I didn’t understand why she pretended to be so happy being a bad dancer when she was so eager to show how she can do the splits and try on professional pointe shoes 🤷‍♀️ I love Taylor but as much as she is trying to live this “men oppress women persona”, I think she has to recognise her own internalised misogyny . I mean hello, her whole Bad Blood video was a take down of Katy Perry (which she never took responsibility for, rather glorified the power she had in humiliating her i.e nominated for vmas etc...) I do love Taylor, but I wish she would take responsibility for her own doings rather then pin them on something else. The whole “media pitted me and Katy against eachother” narrative doesn’t sit will with me. She created that narrative, take control of that. I do love her but I don’t like the victim mentality she still holds.
Very true. She isn't the strongest of vocalists (she has a really lovely voice imo, but as we all know, it's not the reason she's as successful as she is, it's 5000% her songwriting and lyricism) and maybe feels she'll be outshone by more natural singers. She wouldn't though. Part of her appeal is her vocals. I can totally respect the talent of big singing voices, but many of them (ariana, Mariah, beyonce, leona, celine, Katy etc) leave me cold.

On a similar note, I love singing. I'm alright at it. I can sing many BIG songs well-ish but I really struggle with most of Taylor's back catalogue. It hits right in a range where I have no power.

Getting back to the criticism... as much as I love Taylor, and I do, she has made some shocking faux pas in the past. Not least some controversial single selections. 🙈🤔

Her enthusiasm for Me! is so evident in the Miss Americana doc, and I can see how it didn't start off terribly but just got to this awful place. But she had it in her head this was the lead single and she just ran with it. She maybe needs to take a step back and realise that the song is more important than the music video. Sometimes. I personally love LWYMMD, for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Yeah the whole Bad Blood song doesn’t sit quite right with me - I remember Miley Cyrus complaining about how Taylor could make a music video which basically had guns in it and receive no criticism and Miley wearing minimal clothing received more criticism and was viewed as “more harmful”. I can’t remember who it was - but I think at least one person declined to be in the music video as they did not agree with it. The behind the scene clips annoyed me as they were trying to make out it was all about “female empowerment” - and it just came across that they felt empowered by taking down another woman whom you have no actual issue with? I kind of have the same issue with Better Than Revenge in that she is basically attacking someone that her ex boyfriend then started dating?

Reactions: 4
I don’t necessarily agree with all your points here but I can say as someone who has been a longtime fan and has followed her for a very long time now, she definitely has a lot of faults and there are many things that bother me about her. Some of them are just the kind of faults any person has, others are more glaring and really bothersome. (Also in response to one of your points, I do find it interesting that even fans are noticing that Taylor does not really collab with women and her projects are very driven by male producers. I think this is definitely due to internalized misogyny and this idea she has that being accepted by cool male artists is the greatest validation).

What I find odd is that after so many years of defending Taylor against what were genuinely misogynistic attacks, after defending even liking her music and sticking up for her talent, public opinion has shifted and now it‘s like all these people, some of whom even admit they were once ~haters~, now see her as a saint and any criticism as sexist, etc.,....... and most irritatingly there are a lot of false narratives around some of her latest issues and feuds. The hysteria around her masters and the obsession fans have that they’re sticking it to ‘Scooter’ (someone who they didn’t give a duck about a couple years ago) by streaming an updated LS is cringey to me. I feel like there is a lack of nuance and a tendency to obsession and she likes to stoke that tendency for her own benefit.

Reactions: 3
Taylor newbie saying hello here 👋

I’m a huge fan of The National, so when Aaron Dessner announced he’d produced/co-written Folklore, I was surprised. But I he’s such a talented guy, I was like “Yes! Get that Taylor Swift money!”

So I listened to Folklore (sorry, I hate the insistence that you use a lower case letter 😄) and was kind of surprised that I really liked it. I think Evermore is even better.

I really couldn’t have named many Taylor songs prior to last year, but one thing I was aware of now the way she seems to weave drama from her life into her songs. I’ve never known another songwriter to have all these songs that so clearly reference the writer’s celeb feuds and celeb exes. I kind of used to think that the drama was manufactured so she’d have material for her next hit, tbh. But maybe that was unfair of me (she’s definitely had a couple of showmances, right? I wanna know more!).

Anyway, I’ve been listening to the TS playlist on Spotify and enjoying some of her older stuff too.

Reactions: 2
Taylor newbie saying hello here 👋

I’m a huge fan of The National, so when Aaron Dessner announced he’d produced/co-written Folklore, I was surprised. But I he’s such a talented guy, I was like “Yes! Get that Taylor Swift money!”

So I listened to Folklore (sorry, I hate the insistence that you use a lower case letter 😄) and was kind of surprised that I really liked it. I think Evermore is even better.

I really couldn’t have named many Taylor songs prior to last year, but one thing I was aware of now the way she seems to weave drama from her life into her songs. I’ve never known another songwriter to have all these songs that so clearly reference the writer’s celeb feuds and celeb exes. I kind of used to think that the drama was manufactured so she’d have material for her next hit, tbh. But maybe that was unfair of me (she’s definitely had a couple of showmances, right? I wanna know more!).

Anyway, I’ve been listening to the TS playlist on Spotify and enjoying some of her older stuff too.
I'll be honest and say that I've never heard of The National or Aaron Dessner before the collaborations with Taylor - but Folklore and Evermore have proven, in my opinion, Taylor's ability to show her song-writing versatility. I did like Reputation and Lover - but a lot of the songs on both are skippable. I do prefer Folklore over Evermore - but I do need to listen to Evermore a bit more to get a better feel of the album.

I don’t necessarily agree with all your points here but I can say as someone who has been a longtime fan and has followed her for a very long time now, she definitely has a lot of faults and there are many things that bother me about her. Some of them are just the kind of faults any person has, others are more glaring and really bothersome. (Also in response to one of your points, I do find it interesting that even fans are noticing that Taylor does not really collab with women and her projects are very driven by male producers. I think this is definitely due to internalized misogyny and this idea she has that being accepted by cool male artists is the greatest validation).

What I find odd is that after so many years of defending Taylor against what were genuinely misogynistic attacks, after defending even liking her music and sticking up for her talent, public opinion has shifted and now it‘s like all these people, some of whom even admit they were once ~haters~, now see her as a saint and any criticism as sexist, etc.,....... and most irritatingly there are a lot of false narratives around some of her latest issues and feuds. The hysteria around her masters and the obsession fans have that they’re sticking it to ‘Scooter’ (someone who they didn’t give a duck about a couple years ago) by streaming an updated LS is cringey to me. I feel like there is a lack of nuance and a tendency to obsession and she likes to stoke that tendency for her own benefit.
Completely agree. The stans make it so much worse, but it's the same for everyone who has an obsessive fanbase. #proudof_______ is the most cringey type. These celebs can do no wrong and if you stan this person you cannot stan this person etc etc.

I can understand her wanting control of her masters and I'm looking forward to the rerecords because I'd like better vocals on some of the songs, but you'd have to be naive to think that money isn't a big part of why she's doing this. But then, she definitely seems to be very generous with her cash to others. Not that she can't afford it, obviously.

Reactions: 6
Completely agree. The stans make it so much worse, but it's the same for everyone who has an obsessive fanbase. #proudof_______ is the most cringey type. These celebs can do no wrong and if you stan this person you cannot stan this person etc etc.

I can understand her wanting control of her masters and I'm looking forward to the rerecords because I'd like better vocals on some of the songs, but you'd have to be naive to think that money isn't a big part of why she's doing this. But then, she definitely seems to be very generous with her cash to others. Not that she can't afford it, obviously.
In complete agreement here. I think some fans do genuinely believe celebs can do no wrong - but nobody is perfect and people do have flaws.

I get owning her own masters and why she is re-recording but I can just picture all of the merch that will be sure to follow. I’m glad that she is re-recording her albums because I want to hear the change in production in her earlier albums. You can tell how much her production quality has improved with each album.

Reactions: 5
I see Taylor has called out Netflix/a show called Ginny and Georgia for essentially slut-shaming her. Honestly, no wonder she is sick of it. She's been through the wringer for this since 2010 or earlier. Not sure if anyone has seen this Ellen clip but she basically pushed Taylor to almost tears and I am surprised Taylor has reappeared with her. Ellen is known for being a nasty piece of work.

I see Taylor has called out Netflix/a show called Ginny and Georgia for essentially slut-shaming her. Honestly, no wonder she is sick of it. She's been through the wringer for this since 2010 or earlier. Not sure if anyone has seen this Ellen clip but she basically pushed Taylor to almost tears and I am surprised Taylor has reappeared with her. Ellen is known for being a nasty piece of work.

I feel like post-rep Taylor is saying all the stuff she wanted to say when she was younger.

I always wondered that about her Ellen interview too. I remember specifically calling it out (without naming Ellen but talking about a slideshow of men). I always thought her lover interview in the purple dress was so awkward.

Reactions: 9
I feel like post-rep Taylor is saying all the stuff she wanted to say when she was younger.

I always wondered that about her Ellen interview too. I remember specifically calling it out (without naming Ellen but talking about a slideshow of men). I always thought her lover interview in the purple dress was so awkward.
I am still seeing people say "well she sings about dating, what does she expect?"

Jesus Christ. She didn't date more people than a normal 20 year old and even if she did, so what? And she wrote songs about her love life... So what? So does Ed Sheeran, Adele, etc and they don't get half of the criticism Taylor does.

Taylor got picked on cause she was an easy target. She seemed meek and didn't want to clap back. Now she is calling them out on it, people are saying "she can't take a joke" etc. She can't win.

Reactions: 13
And on another note - if Taylor was to release a greatest hits album (not sure she ever would now because people can always make their own version) - what would you have on it?
In no particular order:

Cruel Summer (my ULTIMATE favourite track)
right where you left me
Dress
So It Goes...
Getaway Car
King of my Heart
Death by a Thousand Cuts
Long Live
Enchanted
The Way I Loved You
august
You Are In Love
I Know Places
the lakes
’tis the damn season
champagne problems
State of Grace
Only The Young

Controversial but I did miss out All Too Well. A great song in its own right, but it puts me off by how much people stan it!!

• Haha
  • Heart
In no particular order:

right where you left me
Dress
So It Goes...
Getaway Car
King of my Heart
Death by a Thousand Cuts
Long Live
Enchanted
The Way I Loved You
august
You Are In Love
I Know Places
the lakes
’tis the damn season
champagne problems
State of Grace
Only The Young

Controversial but I did miss out All Too Well. A great song in its own right, but it puts me off by how much people stan it!!
I LOVED All Too Well when it came out in 2012 but I don't think it is her best song ever... at the time it came out, yes. But like you, I find that it is way too "popular" now, hahah.

In no particular order:

right where you left me
Dress
So It Goes...
Getaway Car
King of my Heart
Death by a Thousand Cuts
Long Live
Enchanted
The Way I Loved You
august
You Are In Love
I Know Places
the lakes
’tis the damn season
champagne problems
State of Grace
Only The Young

Also... are you me??? These are all my fav

Maybe it’s about both - but we’ll probably never know. I just want to know if Taylor and Kim will start publicly being friends now that Kim’s filed for divorce from Kanye.

And on another note - if Taylor was to release a greatest hits album (not sure she ever would now because people can always make their own version) - what would you have on it?
Mine not be what people consider a "classic" Greatest Hits album, i.e. all her most well known songs. In my mind, these are some of her greatest creations. I will pick two from every album, haha.

1. Tim McGraw
2. Cold As You
3. Fearless
4. Love Story
5. Dear John
6. Long Live
7. State of Grace
8. Sad Beautiful Tragic (criminally underrated.... "you've got your demons and darling they all look like me" is one of my favourite lyrics ever).
9. I Know Places
10. You are In Love
11. Getaway Car
12. Dancing With Our Hands Tied
13. Cornelia Street or Cruel Summer (I can't pick)
14. Death by a Thousand Cuts
15. Invisible String
16. The Lakes
17. Oh my... it is so difficult to pick just two from Evermore. 'Tis The Damn Season
18. Champagne Problems (and Ivy, and Coney Island, and Long Story Short, and Cowboy Like Me, lol. Evermore is superior to Folklore in my mind now).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
am i the only one who thinks getaway car and delicate are way too overhyped? they're just eh for me

This would be impossible to do as she has about 200 songs and I love at least half of them.

I see Joe has been signed up to play Nick in Conversations with friends..

I have read the book, but haven't read Normal People (I have watched it though), so I'm not sure if the writing of the sex scenes was done in the same way. There's plenty of sex in the CWF book but it's not overly descriptive. There's a tonne of very intimate sex scenes in the NP drama... it almost felt intrusive. 🙈 So, I wonder we're gonna be seeing a LOT more of Joe soon.

It's a very gritty role, definitely. And should get plenty of attention. Could be his major breakthrough.
didn’t know they were adapting conversations with friends. They’ll have a hard job to make it interesting I found the book dull af. He’s an interesting choice, I always imagined Nick as older.

No Taylor song tops Mirrorball for me. It’s beautiful.
“You are not like the regulars
The masquerade revelers
Drunk as they watch my shattered edges glisten”

my heart 💔

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I’m really loving hearing everyone’s choices for a greatest hits album. I don’t get the hype with Delicate if I’m honest. I know All Too Well is a very very popular song - and for me I do like it -but I do understand why people may not like it.

I do worry about the re-recordings of certain songs as I feel the emotion I attach to these songs won’t come across when I listen to the newer versions.

I don’t understand why there is still an ongoing commentary about her love life - yes she does write about love but so do most other artists. It’s a cheap joke and it’s such an old joke that no one really finds it funny anymore. There is such a massive double standard within society about what dating/relationships should be and it’s wrong

am i the only one who thinks getaway car and delicate are way too overhyped? they're just eh for me
Getaway Car is one of those songs that just fill you with seratonin, like screaming “he looks up grinning like a devil”. Bring on one of those TS club nights in the UK!

I don’t get the love for delicate, but recently I have a new found love for Don’t Blame Me, her rendition live really did take me to church. It was incredible.

didn’t know they were adapting conversations with friends. They’ll have a hard job to make it interesting I found the book dull af. He’s an interesting choice, I always imagined Nick as older.

No Taylor song tops Mirrorball for me. It’s beautiful.
“You are not like the regulars
The masquerade revelers
Drunk as they watch my shattered edges glisten”

my heart 💔
Mirrorball is gorgeous.

"
And they called off the circus
Burned the disco down
When they sent home the horses
And the rodeo clowns
I'm still on that tightrope
I'm still trying everything to get you laughing at me
I'm still a believer but I don't know why
I've never been a natural
All I do is try, try, try
I'm still on that trapeze
I'm still trying everything
To keep you looking at me."

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.