TalkTV & TalkRadio

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do we have enough takers for a thread for talkRADIO?

I'm an on-off listener, James Max early, Cristo Foufas in the evening (as long as he doesn't dwell too long on his bêtes noires of low-traffic neighbourhoods and cyclists).

If I find myself awake in the wee hours, Paul Ross is always interesting but speaks too frantically (although Darryl "Machine Gun" Morris makes Paul sound laid back!). I like Bob Mills on Saturday afternoon and Howard Hughes is fun sometimes on Sunday nights.

Reactions: 1
On Ian Collins the other day

Caller: most of talk radio is great, but some is awful!
Ian: I've listened to Christo also

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Do we have enough takers for a thread for talkRADIO?

I'm an on-off listener, James Max early, Cristo Foufas in the evening (as long as he doesn't dwell too long on his bêtes noires of low-traffic neighbourhoods and cyclists).

If I find myself awake in the wee hours, Paul Ross is always interesting but speaks too frantically (although Darryl "Machine Gun" Morris makes Paul sound laid back!). I like Bob Mills on Saturday afternoon and Howard Hughes is fun sometimes on Sunday nights.
I don’t listen at the moment but used to hear Ross and Max when they were on BBC London. Ross used to ‘partner’ with Middle Aged Minx once upon a time.

I don’t listen at the moment but used to hear Ross and Max when they were on BBC London. Ross used to ‘partner’ with Middle Aged Minx once upon a time.
Yes, I used to listen to them there. Jo Good often mentions that she used to work with Paul Ross but I've never heard him mention that he used to work with her! :LOL:

I enjoy the unexplained with Howard Hughes on Sunday nights especially when Paul Sinclair of the truth proof books comes on and updates us with the paranormal cases around north Yorkshire. I have also been enjoying Cristo this week he has been staying away from his obsession of cyclists at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Cristo was thrilled to have gone viral with the Calvin Robinson/Ken Hinds spat, it was a great listen.

I enjoy James Max, he has some good contributors (Reed Alexander reporting from the US is always interesting), even if many of them seem like his jolly good chums. However I have found myself tuning out when he keeps on with his more annoying utterances, eg "deeliiicioussss", "I need to de-fat", and "fizz" for sparkling wine. 😣

I often work throughout the night and have talkback radio on (I just find it comforting, listening to others talking, knowing they're awake too). I do notice the same-sounding people call in a lot with different names and seem to be world experts on whatever the topic might be.

• Haha
I often work throughout the night and have talkback radio on (I just find it comforting, listening to others talking, knowing they're awake too). I do notice the same-sounding people call in a lot with different names and seem to be world experts on whatever the topic might be.
I don't often work during the night but I usually wake up once or twice so listen to the radio without paying too much attention, it stops my mind wandering and gets me back to sleep. I don't find music has the same effect as talk. There are the usual suspects who call up, especially to LBC and BBC London, I often find myself half-remembering things during the following day.

I'm usually tuned to TalkRadio specifically overnight as I've probably fallen asleep to Cristo's 10pm show, so it's usually Paul Ross I hear overnight, with all his facts and figures and random subjects, I like his movie review guy Van someone, he has a lovely voice.

Last edited:
Currently listening to James Max via my iPad. Can’t find Talk Radio on Freeview. His producer is ex BBC London.

Surprised to note that Talk Radio make 25 pence from any text you send them. So you have to pay to text them. Cheeky.

Last edited:
Currently listening to James Max via my iPad. Can’t find Talk Radio on Freeview. His producer is ex BBC London.
Yes, producer is Phil Dave. When they were on BBC London they would record clips of them chatting while Phil was giving James a lift home in his Mini after the overnight show. I think they share a car home now, at least when JM is in North London, not his second home in Frinton. Phil used to appear during the day doing travel on the BBC and was a contributor on tech the "chic geek".

Surprised to note that Talk Radio make 25 pence from any text you send them. So you have to pay to text them. Cheeky.
Wow, that is cheeky. Even though I listen to a lot of radio that asks for input from listeners I have never phoned in, texted, emailed or tweeted anyone.

I rarely listen via Freeview but I do have one DAB radio (a very early model) that won't pick up TalkRadio, even after retuning.

Yes, producer is Phil Dave. When they were on BBC London they would record clips of them chatting while Phil was giving James a lift home in his Mini after the overnight show. I think they share a car home now, at least when JM is in North London, not his second home in Frinton. Phil used to appear during the day doing travel on the BBC and was a contributor on tech the "chic geek".

Wow, that is cheeky. Even though I listen to a lot of radio that asks for input from listeners I have never phoned in, texted, emailed or tweeted anyone.

I rarely listen via Freeview but I do have one DAB radio (a very early model) that won't pick up TalkRadio, even after retuning.
I thought JM lived in SW London - somewhere like Victoria.
Wasn’t the car recording done with Simon Lederman? He definitely was in North London.

Last edited:
I thought JM lived in SW London - somewhere like Victoria.
Wasn’t the car recording done with Simon Lederman? He definitely was in North London.
JM made a very big deal about moving from Chelsea where he'd lived for a long time to Highgate. (His doggies are lovely and he is always speaking about them).

He might've shared a lift with Simon Lederman at some stage but I'm sure it was PD he did the Mini clips with, but again I'll caveat my recollections of any night time listening by saying I am always 3/4 asleep and it was quite a few years ago!

Last edited:
What do you think of Mike Graham? I don't agree with everything he says, but he does make me laugh. I have him on for background company, rather than JOB who I find terminally depressing; or those 2 idiots on This Morning with their "hilarious" childish innuendo and giggling.

Reactions: 5
What do you think of Mike Graham? I don't agree with everything he says, but he does make me laugh. I have him on for background company, rather than JOB who I find terminally depressing; or those 2 idiots on This Morning with their "hilarious" childish innuendo and giggling.
I haven't really listened to Mike Graham, I can't imagine I'd agree with him much but such types can be a funny listen. I'm not a sports fan so I suppose I've thought of him in that way.

I'm listening now to Kevin O'Sullivan on talkRadio (they are doing stuff other than Price P) they just said MG is broadcasting from a pub for the reopening on Monday, 10am to 1pm, with other colleagues joining in. I haven't listened to J O'B for a long time, I didn't mind him then but it seems that he's since become a 'thing'.

I can't comment about This Morning, even since WFH I just can't turn the TV on during the day.

Last edited:
James Whale and Ash are now talking to Rosemary Schrager who forgot she was supposed to be on the show. Admitted that she's been on the red wine, very funny.

He's very quick witted and intelligent, never condescending and and is a great debater, never losing his cool and always comes out with the best thought out answers which makes him an interesting and entertaining listen

James Whale and Ash are now talking to Rosemary Schrager who forgot she was supposed to be on the show. Admitted that she's been on the red wine, very funny.
Damn missed it :( I like rosemary, I probs fell asleep as I always listen to their show 😌

Reactions: 3
Yes I agree, Mike Graham always comes back with a response that would take me 10 minutes to come up with!

I like the way he allows callers with a different opinion to him to have their say.
This was the reason I discovered him, I had to switch over from the guy at 10am on LBC; gosh he was so depressing to listen to.

Reactions: 4
I think it's healthy to listen to people that are of a very different persuasion. For me that's Mike Graham.

I have friends that vary across the political spectrum and we do challenge each other (quite frustrating at times).

But if you're the kinda person that only wants to exist in an echo chamber and would cut out anyone for not voting the way you wanted then you'll probably like the other guy on lbc at 10am.

Julia I'd only listen to if Nick is talking about something grim or one of the few topics that I totally disagree with him on (like buy to let landlords).

Yes I agree, Mike Graham always comes back with a response that would take me 10 minutes to come up with!

I like the way he allows callers with a different opinion to him to have their say.
This was the reason I discovered him, I had to switch over from the guy at 10am on LBC; gosh he was so depressing to listen to.
That'll be James o brien (y) :LOL::ROFLMAO:
Don't think I've seen a listener of his so far on this thread :ROFLMAO:
Haven't ever listened, not my cuppa tea either lol

@Mustard

I listened back to James Max and Phil Dave' s Jag Race News UK segment which reappeared this morning, where they play a clip of them chatting, recorded while they shared a car ride home. It was on at at 5:49am. They reminisce about how they used to do a similar segment when they worked together "elsewhere" in the past. Phil drives. James says Phil "hated" him when they first worked together, and talks about how they came to be sharing the car journey in and out. They also discuss the buttonless operation of the lifts in the News UK building, and food and snacks.

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.