Talk to me about loft conversions

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m thinking about having a dormer loft conversion done to create a bedroom and en-suite. According to Google, it costs on average between 30K-60K and can take up to 12 weeks. Does that sound about right? 30-40K would be doable but 60K definitely not.

Has anyone had one done? I live just outside Glasgow in a small 2 bed terrace if that’s relevant. Any advice welcome because I’m absolutely clueless when it comes to this stuff 🥲

How long is a piece of string? A lot will depend on the size, access, fit out etc. Your best answer will be from getting quotes or speaking to those in your area who have done similar, although keep in mind that prices for materials are up at the moment.

Reactions: 2
How long is a piece of string? A lot will depend on the size, access, fit out etc. Your best answer will be from getting quotes or speaking to those in your area who have done similar, although keep in mind that prices for materials are up at the moment.
Thanks. I’m going to have to bite the bullet and post on my town Facebook group 😅. Yeah I building work is extortionate at the moment so I know I’ll need to get quotes from different companies.

I’m thinking about having a dormer loft conversion done to create a bedroom and en-suite. According to Google, it costs on average between 30K-60K and can take up to 12 weeks. Does that sound about right? 30-40K would be doable but 60K definitely not.

Has anyone had one done? I live just outside Glasgow in a small 2 bed terrace if that’s relevant. Any advice welcome because I’m absolutely clueless when it comes to this stuff 🥲
It’s probably not helpful because my only point of reference is a friend having a bedroom and ensuite put it in their 3-bed semi-detached house but it ended up costing them £55k in 2022. 😬 Apparently it should have been more with the increase in material, but their builders had to honour the quote my friend accepted and paid the deposit for. The builders told them that anything similar would now be around £70k 😭 I’d say your town Facebook group would be the best place to start looking so you can have recommendations from people who had the work carried out. Good luck!

Reactions: 1
My friend has has 2 quotes for a dormer loft extension. One 80k the other 120k. Neither include any furnishings or decorating. Just bare plaster and floorboards.

Materials are so expensive right now, but I can't see them dropping any time soon.

Reactions: 1
120K 😫 was this in London? I think everything is generally a little bit cheaper up here and there are other factors, size of the house etc. I’ve spoken to a few people (they’ve not had one done recently though) and I’ve been advised to get the loft/roof surveyed before I do anything to make sure it’s suitable and then get quotes. Getting separate tradespeople was also recommended, as opposed to one company doing everything start to finish, to try and keep costs down but I feel like that’s such a hassle. Anything over 50K just wouldn’t be feasible but we’ll see. Thanks for your replies x

120K 😫 was this in London? I think everything is generally a little bit cheaper up here and there are other factors, size of the house etc. I’ve spoken to a few people (they’ve not had one done recently though) and I’ve been advised to get the loft/roof surveyed before I do anything to make sure it’s suitable and then get quotes. Getting separate tradespeople was also recommended, as opposed to one company doing everything start to finish, to try and keep costs down but I feel like that’s such a hassle. Anything over 50K just wouldn’t be feasible but we’ll see. Thanks for your replies x
Not London, Essex so close but still 40min train journey from the city.