Taking notes in meetings

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It was alright during the lockdown as meetings were over teams and I could record on my phone and type up anything I missed but now we are moving back to the office and I’m panicking!! Anyone got any advice?!

Okay. Well I work with minute takers every day, they always say please can I get a recap or please could you repeat. It’s never been an issue. What line of work is it for?

Reactions: 1
If you don’t know official short hand (which im
Assuming you don’t) then you need to
Come up with your own so you can take minutes quickly as people are talking. Also make your manager aware that you don’t know short hand and are worried about minute taking - they can support you and may even help you with a short hand course. Most places won’t allow you to record a meeting, that’s kinda why you are there to take notes ☺

have the meeting agenda infront of you, number it. Use the numbers to correspond to your notes. Use peoples initials instead of their names and use abbreviations for common things that will come up - like other departments/other staff members names etc
- don’t even attempt to write complete sentences, you won’t be able to keep up. Jot down bullet points to cover the important points that are being discussed - listen out for dates/times/people names and follow up actions
- read your notes back immediately after the meeting and expand on them - if you don’t and you then go back to type them up later you’ll probably find you don’t remember parts or won’t make sense of some of what you’ve jotted down.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Type if you can, it's inevitably faster than writing, don't worry about spelling or mistakes as long as you'll roughly be able to make sense of it (there is always one word I mistype every time in the same way), abbreviate, turn it into a proper note as soon as you're done so you can make sense of your notes.

Reactions: 2
I always type my minutes as I am doing the meetings.

Go back and fill in the full bits straight after.

With minutes, less is more, you don't need to note everything, only bullet points or actions.
Use initials for actions and don't be afraid to ask people to clarify items during the meeting

Reactions: 3
I found typing minutes up as soon as possible after the meeting helped. It was still fresh in my mind.

And as others have said, don’t be shy in asking for clarity - it’s easy to waffle on in a meeting and forget someone’s try to minute it so I’m sure nobody will mind.

Reactions: 1