Table Manners and Etiquette

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m not sure if this as previously been a thread. I earlier went to a Cafe... I noticed a guy eating a jacket potato... he was on his phone while eating and talking to his colleague... When he left he got up and didn’t even put his knife and folk together!!! Left his chair hanging out... I have children and I was told that it was good manners to place the knife and folk together... not to talk while your mouth was full with food, when you leave the table push your chair in !!!! Maybe I just being old fashioned but I’ve noticed this a few times...Thoughts please 🍽🍽🍽🍽

Urgh, I hate bad table manners. I also really hate it when people don't say please and thank you. It's so bloody rude.

Reactions: 5
So many people eat as if they're digging a hole, fork stabbed in, knife doing a weird excavation.
Too many eating in a chair in front of the TV. SAVAGES. *Clutches pearls*

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I don’t talk with my mouth full and I push chairs in but can’t say I leave my knife and fork a certain way. All gets chucked somewhere to clean anyway so what’s the point 🤣

I’m not sure if this as previously been a thread. I earlier went to a Cafe... I noticed a guy eating a jacket potato... he was on his phone while eating and talking to his colleague... When he left he got up and didn’t even put his knife and folk together!!! Left his chair hanging out... I have children and I was told that it was good manners to place the knife and folk together... not to talk while your mouth was full with food, when you leave the table push your chair in !!!! Maybe I just being old fashioned but I’ve noticed this a few times...Thoughts please 🍽🍽🍽🍽
So being from the UK this is something I noticed we are guilty of doing...i used to work in Starbucks and customers would constantly leave their litter, plates and mugs on the table when finished instead of taking them up. I moved to Canada and that is not a thing...you are expected to clear up after you finish. I only realised how rude it is to leave your stuff after living here. Haha.

I can’t stand bad table manners! They were drilled into my from birth practically 🤣

To my despair my other half eats with his knife and fork the wrong way round and doesn’t leave his knife and fork together most of the time. It’s because he was never shown, he does have good table manners other than this but his family don’t, eating at theirs makes me feel ill 🤢 *shudders at memories of the eating noises*

Last edited:
  • Sick
Reactions: 2
God I hate bad table manners! elbows on tables, hunched over your food, talking with your mouth full. :mad:

God, I feel like me and my siblings were all taught how to lay a place setting , elbows off the table and "you don't shovel your peas" before we could even hold our heads up.
My grandparents were SO strict.
I can't take my grandma out anywhere for food because she is absolutely mortified with society 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I could not eat and be able to talk on a mobile phone and where’s the enjoyment of the food?

When my children were young I’d never leave a mess at the table and they always push their chairs in.

Incidentally , I’m a TA in a Reception class and the children always have to push their chairs back underneath and tidy up the table before they move onto the next thing.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
So many people eat as if they're digging a hole, fork stabbed in, knife doing a weird excavation.
Too many eating in a chair in front of the TV. SAVAGES. *Clutches pearls*
Ha we rarely eat at the table 🙈 sorry

• Haha
I mean basic stuff, please and thank you, not talking with your mouth full, clearing up etc yeah I 100% agree those sound be followed as they are common decency.

knife and forks being in the right place is just old tradition and elbows on the table don’t bother me.
My special pet peeve those is the “knife needs to be in particular hand” as I am left handed and those come from a time when you weren’t “allowed” to be 😂 so screw that

Reactions: 1
When i was growing up we had to put knives and forks together it was a sign that we had finished, no elbows on tables, no talking with mouth full, no gadgets at table, please and thank yous was constantly reminded to us and lastly had to ask to leave the table when we was finished. It was courtesy and I'm not as strict with my kids however please and thank you goes along way younger the kids learn it the better. I was once approached by someone in a shop saying that my children had lovely manners and thats a real buzz for me and felt proud.

It boils my piss when people don’t tidy up after themselves in cafes/restaurants.

I always - always - put everything back on my tray or nearly stack the dishes if no tray or I take my dirty stuff up when I’m finished. I give the table a wipe with a clean napkin to get rid if any crumbs etc. Pick up any stuff I’ve dropped on the floor. Push chair in.

I have to say the worst are parents with kids who used to come in, completely destroy the place and then leave without making any attempt at all to tidy up a bit. I’m taking food and drinks spilled all over tables and floors, crayons and paper strewn everywhere, plates & mugs all over the place, just mess everywhere.

I understand that it’s perhaps the opinion of some that “if you work there it’s your job to tidy up after the customers” but come on, it’s only good manners to at least tidy up after yourself a bit?

I’ve said it before - working in hospitality or retail should be mandatory so people learn how to behave appropriately!!!! 🤣

Reactions: 5
God, I feel like me and my siblings were all taught how to lay a place setting , elbows off the table and "you don't shovel your peas" before we could even hold our heads up.
My grandparents were SO strict.
I can't take my grandma out anywhere for food because she is absolutely mortified with society 😂
I agree with grandma 😊

• Haha
Reactions: 3
It boils my piss when people don’t tidy up after themselves in cafes/restaurants.

I always - always - put everything back on my tray or nearly stack the dishes if no tray or I take my dirty stuff up when I’m finished. I give the table a wipe with a clean napkin to get rid if any crumbs etc. Pick up any stuff I’ve dropped on the floor. Push chair in.

I have to say the worst are parents with kids who used to come in, completely destroy the place and then leave without making any attempt at all to tidy up a bit. I’m taking food and drinks spilled all over tables and floors, crayons and paper strewn everywhere, plates & mugs all over the place, just mess everywhere.

I understand that it’s perhaps the opinion of some that “if you work there it’s your job to tidy up after the customers” but come on, it’s only good manners to at least tidy up after yourself a bit?

I’ve said it before - working in hospitality or retail should be mandatory so people learn how to behave appropriately!!!! 🤣
Totally agree!! I used to die inside a bit every time this group of mums with young kids used to arrive every Monday lunch I think it was 😫 cleaning highchairs is the absolute worst....

I'm not fussed about how someone holds their cutlery, how they eat their peas or how they leave their cutlery on a plate.

I do have a problem with talking with a mouth full of food, or discussions about religion/politics at the table (never ends well) and leaving chairs out. My husband likes to blow his nose at the table when we're out. It drives me round the bend and I find it mortifying (it's in his own tissue and not the restaurants table napkins - I'd divorce him for the latter)

• Sick

This!!!

Parents who don't clean up after their kids are a different breed of human.
I can only imagine the state of their own houses if they happily leave that sort of mess behind them in public.

My special pet peeve those is the “knife needs to be in particular hand” as I am left handed and those come from a time when you weren’t “allowed” to be 😂 so screw that
I'm VERY ambidextrous with cutlery. Most of the time I'm constantly switching my knife and fork between my hands and I'm not even aware I'm doing it unless someone points it out.
I tend to be ambidextrous in general, but I usually write with my right hand. I can write with my left hand, but it's not as neat.