Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I’ve enjoyed it

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I’ve had good days and bad days

Votes: 21 67.7%
  • I feel isolated

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought that this would be a good thread for those who are shielding during covid and could be a good source of support and talking about how we all feel during this time, as well as those who are shielding to protect vulnerable family members in their household.

I am currently shielding alongside my mum to protect her as she is a vulnerable person. She has a condition called lupus, this has resulted in her having a double kidney transplant, as well as heart failure, COPD and cardiomyopathy as well as other health conditions. I work in a nursery and feel that it is not the right time to go back to work, if my mum cannot leave the house yet and we can’t see family or friends then I do not think it’s the right time to mix with other children and staff from other households as well as that I don’t know where they have been and mixing with so it’s too great a risk right now.As a result of this I was placed on short term leave till September and have been taken off furlough. As decision that I don’t agree with at all! But please feel free to talk about how you feel as I know it’s hard living with someone who is seriously unwell, never mind during circumstances like this!

Reactions: 1
I feel there wasnt enough information given about shielding and living with someone shielding. I'm on maternity leave but my boyfriend received a shielding letter. I've been told I either return to work in august or take it unpaid, no furlough or any other help offered.

I feel there wasnt enough information given about shielding and living with someone shielding. I'm on maternity leave but my boyfriend received a shielding letter. I've been told I either return to work in august or take it unpaid, no furlough or any other help offered.
I completely agree, I don’t understand why furlough was extended and it states that people like ourselves were included and we won’t even be receiving it! I wasn’t given a choice at all, just told that I need to take short term lay off as there’s no money to pay me and only 30% of us could be furloughed. It makes me angry as I wanna get back to work but I wanna protect my mum! I’m seeking legal advice just to check what they’ve done is correct.

The impression I got was that the shielding person should be staying in their bedroom alone for who knows how long and using separate bathroom, kitchen etc, so basically no contact with anyone. I dont know how many people that is realistic for. Yes you need to know what the legal situation is, they have no idea what is happening if were honest, or a timeline.

The impression I got was that the shielding person should be staying in their bedroom alone for who knows how long and using separate bathroom, kitchen etc, so basically no contact with anyone. I dont know how many people that is realistic for. Yes you need to know what the legal situation is, they have no idea what is happening if were honest, or a timeline.
That’s what me and my mum have done, my boyfriend joined us for lockdown but his work is reopening on Monday so he will be going on Friday and we’ve had to sit away from her, it’s our anniversary today and I made us all a lovely meal and she couldn’t even sit with us, it’s so hard not even being able to give her a cuddle. It’s just not clear at all

How’s everyone feeling on the thought of going back to work on Monday? Are you feeling anxious or have your companies been supportive over your decision not to return just yet or work from home?

I received a letter to shield and I have done so, more or less. It is rather extreme, which I know is in my best interests but living in a 2 bed semi with one bathroom, it's not practical to completely keep separated from my other half!
I have been able to work from home but I have also gone to my office as I'm on my own there anyway and I've managed to keep more or less sane that way!
10 weeks in and the novelty has well and truly worn off and I hope there will be an update soon on the easing of restrictions for those shielding. Even if it is still months away, it would be nice to see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel!

I received a letter to shield and I have done so, more or less. It is rather extreme, which I know is in my best interests but living in a 2 bed semi with one bathroom, it's not practical to completely keep separated from my other half!
I have been able to work from home but I have also gone to my office as I'm on my own there anyway and I've managed to keep more or less sane that way!
10 weeks in and the novelty has well and truly worn off and I hope there will be an update soon on the easing of restrictions for those shielding. Even if it is still months away, it would be nice to see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel!
I agree, me and my mum have pretty much stayed away from each other. When we’ve spoken I’ve stood at one end of her room and she’s been on her bed and we live in a two bed flat so I totally understand how hard it is to separate! That’s good that you’ve been able to be flexible with work but it’s missing that interaction with co workers that’s missed too, there’s only so many conversations that I can have with my mum and boyfriend 😂 I totally agree, as much as I’m not a shielder and don’t need to, I’ve done it in order to keep my mum safe as you only get one mum! But I agree, seems like lockdown is beginning to shift for everyone else except us! But they did say yesterday they should have more info in the coming weeks so fingers crossed there will be some positive news soon! I agree, we’ve got babies due in our family in the new months and we don’t wanna miss out

Did they say there would be more information for people shielding? It seems to have been forgotten about. I know me and my bf would like to take the baby to the beach together for her first time.

Did they say there would be more information for people shielding? It seems to have been forgotten about. I know me and my bf would like to take the baby to the beach together for her first time.
Someone posed the question on last night's briefing and for the moment, it seems not. I think they'll see how the easing of restrictions go for the "normal" folk before seeing if it's safe for us to come out of our bubbles

Boris said yesterday that it’s something they will be looking into over the next few weeks and should have more info soon on it. Just don’t see how it could work with the infection and death rate still fairly high 🤷🏻‍♀️ I just want some form of normality for me and my mum, even just to give her a cuddle or go for a short walk with her

In Ireland people shielding are able to leave the house now as long as they dont come into contact with anybody, like for exercise, not for shopping or anything like that.

I’m shielding due to severe asthma, I live alone and it’s hard. It feels like we’ve just been forgotten about

Shielding due to incurable cancer. Shielding with my young children and only husband is leaving the house a couple times a week for food. Thank duck we have a garden or I don't know where I'd be mentally now! I feel like tit because my illness has ruined my families life for the last 2 years. This year was meant to be "our" year as I am currently feeling well and now I am making their lives even more of a misery due to shielding. Cannae win 😭

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I won’t be changing anything I’m doing yet. We were told yesterday that things are at a critical point, I don’t see how it then makes sense to start exposing the vulnerable

Shielding due to incurable cancer. Shielding with my young children and only husband is leaving the house a couple times a week for food. Thank duck we have a garden or I don't know where I'd be mentally now! I feel like tit because my illness has ruined my families life for the last 2 years. This year was meant to be "our" year as I am currently feeling well and now I am making their lives even more of a misery due to shielding. Cannae win 😭
Ah I’m so sorry to hear that, it must be hard! I know how you feel, a garden makes all the world of difference! I’m sure your not! There seems be some light at the end of the tunnel now, stay strong ❤

How does everyone feel about what they’ve said today? Is anyone confused as to if they mean the vulnerable or extremely vulnerable, feel like they have no idea themselves!

So we have another update. I'm pleased about being able to form a support bubble, it means I can finally spend time with my Dad who lives alone (and his house desperately needs a good clean!).

However much I would love to get back into shops, I'm not loving the idea of reduced social distancing at that point. Seems counter-productive but I guess we will see.