Sudden change in menstrual cycle

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey!

I'm going to be phoning my doctor about this, but I'm just looking for reassurance or for anyone who's experienced anything similar to ease my anxiety.

I track my period on the Flo app, and for the past year and a half since coming off the implant, my cycle's been consistent in length (28 days, give or take a day early or late sometimes).

However, my past two cycles have only lasted 17 days. My usual period length is 4 days, which is the same, except the bleeding now is a lot more heavy and intense.

The only change I can think of is that my partner and I are no longer using any contraception, but I don't see how that would impact anything.

Has this happened to anyone else? What could it mean? I'm 27 and have no underlying medical conditions. Thank you!

Reactions: 2
I’m in exactly the same boat. Periods every two weeks since jan. no changes or anything. I have a copper IUD so no hormones. Have got an apt for swabs this week.

I’m in exactly the same boat. Periods every two weeks since jan. no changes or anything. I have a copper IUD so no hormones. Have got an apt for swabs this week.
It's so worrying isn't it?! I hope it all works out OK for you! X

Reactions: 1
It really is. I think I read far too many horror stories. Hopefully it’s nothing, when are you speaking to your dr?

Yep - my cycle has been completely off since December. I was the same as you, could predict my cycle to the day previously, but not at the moment. ive been pretty miserable this lockdown, haven’t bothered making an effort to go out for walks and sometimes don’t leave the house for days. I’m also the heaviest I’ve ever been. Trying to change my diet and routine and hoping it will help. If not I’ll be making docs appt x

Yep - my cycle has been completely off since December. I was the same as you, could predict my cycle to the day previously, but not at the moment. ive been pretty miserable this lockdown, haven’t bothered making an effort to go out for walks and sometimes don’t leave the house for days. I’m also the heaviest I’ve ever been. Trying to change my diet and routine and hoping it will help. If not I’ll be making docs appt x
I hope things start looking up for you soon ❤ Feel free to message me if you want to vent! X

It really is. I think I read far too many horror stories. Hopefully it’s nothing, when are you speaking to your dr?
Hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday - I'm hoping it won't be too difficult to get an appointment with everything that's going on! X

Last edited:
Are you experiencing lots of stress? Or changed your diet? Both were reasons for my cycle to get messed up (even on the pill) 🙄

Are you experiencing lots of stress? Or changed your diet? Both were reasons for my cycle to get messed up (even on the pill) 🙄
I was just going to post this. Stress, periods of illness, changes in diet/exercise etc can all disrupt the cycle

When I was going through a very stressful time in my life my periods were all over the place. I’d not have one for 2/3 months then I’d have a couple of cycles of about 15 - 20 days, this went on for about 6 months before finally settling. Worth getting checked out though just in case - bodies can be very sensitive to changes and this can mess up your period.

I had this in Jan after a lot of stress. I'm on the mirena and had some mid cycle bleeding which I assumed was a period. Cycle now back to normal.

I went to a consultant straight away as I get regular womb biopsies for another reason and it freaked me out.

I had a checkup and biopsy and all was clear so I think it was just due to stress.

There are lots of reasons for change in cycle, majority of them are nothing to worry about at all and you're young so even more unlikely but good to get a check anyway even if just to put your mind at rest 🙂