Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

50sGirl

VIP Member
This is the problem with setting a tv show in the 80s in 2022…everything is SO different, the younger audience need to realise that in the 80s it was harder to come out as gay, it was harder to accept this and it wasn’t as accepting back then. Maybe because I am a 90s kid I understand it more than someone born 2000s…

this is also why Mike was hated throughout this season, he’s a teenager in the 80s the way he acted was what any teenager in the 80s would…
I was a teenager in the 80s. (Yes I’m an old bag now!)
To put it into perspective, at my secondary school not one person in my year, male or female came out whilst at school. NONE!
You have to remember this was the era of us being scared shitless of AIDS (It wasn’t referred to as HIV as much back then)
We had government adverts that warned us all “don’t die of ignorance”. There was also a lot of reporting calling it “the gay disease” so is it any wonder no one would choose to come out back then?
That’s not to say we didn’t all have an idea who was gay (3 boys who we thought were all did come out as adults) but it just was not something they would have admitted to at school. They certainly wouldn’t have admitted it to their best friends because they’d have been dropped like a ton of bricks, as their friends would fear people would think they were gay too.
It sounds harsh and it was, but it’s just how it was back then.
The only famous gay people I can recall back then were Larry Grayson and John Inman and they were the typical camp stereotype so no teenager would want to be compared to them! Remember even George Michael was “straight” in the 80s!
In the 1980s Will would not have come out to Mike and even less likely to his brother for fear of being disowned by them.
I admire the Duffer Brothers for keeping it true to the era, although I think they will go against this in S5 to give Will his happy ever after.

Last edited:
Reactions: 29

LittleMy

VIP Member
Me, seeing all your spoiler tags pop up having not seen it yet, like:

I won’t! 🫣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

LittleMy

VIP Member
D10BF10D-D5E5-4B1D-BC42-4C5555349B9B.jpeg

Dustin has been my fave character since the beginning. I loved his relationships with these two, though i’d have said it was more brotherly than father/son.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

Beige Mama

Chatty Member
Noah clearing things up 😆 I really don't know what some people expected them to do .

also am I watching a compelty different show ? Apparently they hinted at Eddie been gay and people are complaining he wasn't. When did they even say that ? Definetly people getting mixed up with wattpad 😆 .then people complaing that will didn't come up but Robin got a whole coming out scene .no she didn't she literally told one person 😆.yeah I can see will coming out but I just can't imagine Mike 😆
I love Noah’s comeback. I was so moved when Will used El in lieu of himself in the photo and his feelings towards Mike. Seeing him get kindness and acceptance from his brother after this as well was beautiful.

• Heart
Reactions: 24

kazizzle

VIP Member
Finished it tonight and loved it. Easily my favourite season out of the 4. I think I’m just enjoying the vibe better and the cinematography is just stunning. The episodes don’t even feel that long because the pacing is so good that you don’t even realise how long you’ve been watching for. That scene with Max and the Kate Bush song was incredible.

Trying to decide if I want to watch it all again from tomorrow. Feel I need a second viewing to take it all in 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 23

duskwithoutdawn

Chatty Member
I really hope Caleb McLaughlin and Sadie Sink get some well deserved Emmy nominations

The scene where Max "dies" was so well acted, it made me cry. They truly cast some amazing child actors at first and they've only grown. The weakest of the main bunch is probably Finn but even in his scene telling Eleven that Mike loved her was beautiful. It speaks to the calliber of the show and the level of acting that he's considered the weakest of the bunch.

Millie's performance throughout 'Papa' was phenomenal, especially when Eleven tells him he's the real monster, what a powerhouse. Gaten's acting I feel goes underappreciated when he's often the glue that holds the group together, has generally always been the most naturalistic even from S1, and his scenes with Eddie's death were just outstanding.

• Heart
Reactions: 22

sleepingpanda

VIP Member
Ok I feel I need to play devils advocate here…these are just my thoughts you don’t have to read 😀

I think with ST we’ve put it on a peddle stool…we now expect too much. There are too many characters so not all characters are going to have a great storyline but here’s my thought:

this season has always been billed “the begging of the end” so there is no need for a big fight scene with El and Vecna that’s gonna come next season. He’s been damaged enough to give the guys time.

will was a HUGE part of S1 and S2…but he’s been quietly in the background dropping hints…he said in the finale “as soon as I came back I could feel him” Will is going to be a huge part of S5…he can use his connection with Vecna to help lure him out etc…we know have the whole back story to the whole show S5 is going to be pure action.

i feel Mike kinda redeemed himself with El but remember he’s a teenager in the 80s sensing your friend being gay wasn’t as easy back then as it is now…also We have to remember they are teenagers 😂😂 they are useless.

i do think overall V2 did what it needed to perfectly which was set up S5, answer loads of questions

but saying that’s I do agree with the whole Max thing should have left her for dead, really shouldn’t have killed Eddie and the gang not mourning him 😕 also where is Max’s mum? Why is she not at the hospital? 😂 anyway that’s my thoughts

if you actually made it and read my ramble here have Steve Harrington as reward
174F257D-3A72-4B0F-BBF1-570AC310233D.gif

• Heart

Pinkii

VIP Member
Whilst i don’t mind representation’s of all kinds in shows i’m actually bored of the younger gen’s obsession with everyone having to be gay or secretly gay.

I thought the will thing was done well because its exactly how people were in the 80’s and if they want to be very realistic he would probably lose a few friends because of that but obviously they won’t go down that route and everyone will be all accepting of him.

no doubt a newcomer in season 5 will be his love interest and he’ll forget mike

Mrskane29

VIP Member
anyone else extremely frustrated that they never actually fully killed max off?! I've cried over her 3 times and she's still not dead! I love her character but christ almighty, let her go, I can't cope 😅

• Haha

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
I think those scenes with Will were handled really well - not that coming out in 2022 is not longer a big deal, but for a teenage boy in the mid 80s he would surely be terrified that he would be ostracised from his friends and family. And they really showed how heartbreaking his emotional turmoil is

I recently rewatched Robin's coming out scene and she thinks that Steve won't want anything to do with her once she tells him ☹
Absolutely. It's 1980's rural America. There was no such thing as a big coming out, because it wasn't all that accepted. Will is gonna be absolutely terrified, same as Robin was. Subtle coming out moments to few people is far more realistic and is actually being really well done in ST.

Reactions: 21