Stop *buying* puppies & kittens, animals are not a click-and-collect item!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why should vet neuter for free? Surely if someone cannot afford to neuter their animal then they can’t afford to own one? How will they afford other potential health issues that will probably be more expensive than neutering. And if they don’t neuter and their animal is accidentally caught it will also most likely (I’d say most definitely) cost more than a neuter. Of course there’s schemes like the dogs trust neutering vouchers (if they still do this) or vets like the animal trust who will do it for cheaper/donation/free and fair enough. A lot of vets will neuter or offer discounts to charities anyway. Vets get a lot of abuse and a lot of it is due to cost but them vets have gone through 5+ years of training sometimes 10+ to get to the highest level. My dad works in a factory no uni degree just trained on the job and gets paid more than some vets. Practices buy expensive equipment which they need to cover the cost and maintenance of, as well as support staff like nurses, receptionists etc. I’m glad rescues neuter before rehoming. I think this is a bit off topic but posting it as I’ve seen people mention about vets offering free neutering. And whether rescue or not the main thing should be the health and well-being of the animal and without vets this wouldn’t be possible.

Reactions: 4
I am a pedigree pet owner and have rescued in the past before having children. It was not an option for me to do so once we had children as our local rescues would not allow us to rehome due to the age of our children. We were puppy parents for an assistance dog up until they were old enough to leave for their official training at 14 months. The dog went everywhere including work as he was a dog in training. Once the pup moved on we were in line to get another puppy to continue the process but the charity lost its funding and could no longer continue. Despite our experience and the amount of hours we attended training classes we still weren’t candidates for a rescue dog. We ended up buying a puppy from the breeder who bred for the charity. I don’t regret my decision and we had 9 wonderful years with him.

I am also a pedigree cat owner and researched the breeds and breeders extensively. Registered pedigree cats from good breeders are kept with their mum until 13-14 weeks and most are neutered prior to selling with tests to rule out numerous genetic conditions and illnesses. However, there are many backyard breeders in the pedigree cat industry which are as a result from some breeders not neutering before selling and pets4homes is full of them currently.

Reactions: 3
Four hours a day is the maximum recommended time for a dog to be left alone. It’s going to be a miserable life for a sociable animal left eight hours a day, then expected to sleep eight hours at night. I think half the population probably shouldn’t have dogs- you are correct. Might cut down on puppy farming too. Double win.
Idk how anyone would leave a poor dog alone for that long, it’s cruel. They’re also the cunts who’d scold the dog because they’ve pissed in the house even tho they’ve been gone most of the day! I feel bad leaving the fucker for an hour by himself while I go shopping. If I’m in work or on a night out, he goes to my dads house as my dad is retired, so he can have some company with someone he trusts and someone to feed him, walk him and let him use the toilet when he needs to go.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I can’t help but wonder, if the dog licence was brought back in, would the demand be less?

Reactions: 5
I have looked into rescuing a dog from a shelter but turned down, I was looking for a small/medium dog but there seems a shortage of that size around here.

The reason for turning me down was because I have children as regular visitors at weekends, other than that we were fine, work at home, have a large garden and have owned dogs before.

I will now probably buy a puppy next year from the same breeder I used last time.

Reactions: 7
Idk how anyone would leave a poor dog alone for that long, it’s cruel. They’re also the cunts who’d scold the dog because they’ve pissed in the house even tho they’ve been gone most of the day! I feel bad leaving the fucker for an hour by himself while I go shopping. If I’m in work or on a night out, he goes to my dads house as my dad is retired, so he can have some company with someone he trusts and someone to feed him, walk him and let him use the toilet when he needs to go.
Damn a bit of a generalisation there huh?
I'm one of those cunts who leaves a dog up to 8 hours a day because well, work and studying commitments. We live in an area that doesn't have services for dog sitting widely available unless you're going on holiday, in which case there are kennels nearby that seem to draw in a decent business (haven't personally used them myself).

Anyway, both of the dogs are left alone up to 8 hours a day and we got them around a time when we knew that someone would be at home and they could slowly get used to being alone at intervals at a time. The Chin we got around summer and the other dog around winter, so it wasn't a case of us just leaving them alone for 8 hours straight away. Both dogs get walked before we leave the house several times since it's early and one of them takes a while to properly wake up, and then they get short walks twice once we come back and if the weather is nice (not raining or too hot) they have a longer walk. Obviously when it's too hot we try to wait till the sun starts setting or it cools down a bit before walking, but we have to be a bit more careful with the Chin because she is prone to overheating due to the nose - obviously invested in water bottles and the like but she doesn't seem to be keen on using them.

Of course, we've had our fair share of accidents over the years with the dogs but, contrary to what you seem to think, we don't scold them. We recognise that we can't expect them to hold their bladders forever. Granted, most of them happen in the morning rather than when we get home (often because I sleep in) and the times we've had issues when we got home was because they ate something a bit dodgy or didn't pee/poo in the morning - again, not something to scold them for. We leave a puppy training pad out for them in the bathroom (which the Chin uses) and clean other 'accidents' as necessary with the carpet being cleaned as well.

They have toys, food and water available to them through out the day but mostly seem to watch out the window. Even happens when we're home so we're not too concerned that it's abnormal behaviour either. All in all, I'd say our dogs are pretty happy

It's interesting that the idea throughout the discussion seems to be that owners just go off without addressing issues such as separation anxiety or boredom, or if the case arises try to fix those issues. People seem to forget that you can have a person who works 4-6 hours or stays at home and is still a tit owner. As I said before, I know who are home most of their time and we only see them walk their dogs very rarely and I know people with larger dogs who could probably use more exercise than a walk around the street.

At the end of the day, the way you accommodate to your dogs needs are the most important rather than the fact that you work a certain amount of time and cannot have a sitter in so naturally you're a tit owner and a 'bleep'

Reactions: 10
I wouldn’t want to leave my dog on her own for 8 hours. It’s not fair on them to hold their bladder for that long 🥴

Reactions: 8
Of course, we've had our fair share of accidents over the years with the dogs but, contrary to what you seem to think, we don't scold them. We recognise that we can't expect them to hold their bladders forever. Granted, most of them happen in the morning rather than when we get home (often because I sleep in) and the times we've had issues when we got home was because they ate something a bit dodgy or didn't pee/poo in the morning - again, not something to scold them for. We leave a puppy training pad out for them in the bathroom (which the Chin uses) and clean other 'accidents' as necessary with the carpet being cleaned as well.

At the end of the day, the way you accommodate to your dogs needs are the most important rather than the fact that you work a certain amount of time and cannot have a sitter in so naturally you're a tit owner and a 'bleep'
Have you really accommodated your dog needs if they have a pad in the bathroom to pee on and seemingly poo on the carpets when you're out for 8 hours? I'm not from the black and white school of thought of some others on this thread, but this really doesn't feel right. You are expecting them to go against their instincts as to where they'd choose to toilet, to accommodate your routine. You are accommodating their biological need to toilet, not their instinct to choose where to go, and to keep that space far removed from where they eat and sleep.

Ah, so people aren’t ‘selfish pricks’ if they shop around to a reputable breeder 😉
I'm really not sure why you're being so aggy. I obviously meant people who buy from a 'breeder' not really caring about if they are reputable because they want a particular puppy or kitten 🤷‍♀️

I wouldn’t want to leave my dog on her own for 8 hours. It’s not fair on them to hold their bladder for that long 🥴
They can easily do it through the night
Mine have their last one at about 10pm and can easily go till 7/8am and that’s without them scratching at the door

Reactions: 3
Mine have their last one at about 10pm and can easily go till 7/8am and that’s without them scratching at the door
If it's raining mine will quite happily hold her bladder for up to 12 hours.

*Disclaimer, it's her choice not to go out and go back to bed

Reactions: 7
Have you really accommodated your dog needs if they have a pad in the bathroom to pee on and seemingly poo on the carpets when you're out for 8 hours? I'm not from the black and white school of thought of some others on this thread, but this really doesn't feel right. You are expecting them to go against their instincts as to where they'd choose to toilet, to accommodate your routine. You are accommodating their biological need to toilet, not their instinct to choose where to go, and to keep that space far removed from where they eat and sleep.
As said, it rarely happens. We have a puppy pad in the bathroom because one of them is rather tidy and chooses to use the bathroom, providing the puppy pad makes clean up easier for us and gives them a space that is used for toileting by the cat and us in general - we haven’t purposefully trained her to use the puppy pad just because we won’t be home. If she wants to do her business in another room then we clean it up once we’re home and that’s that.

I can keep a rally for you if you like, I honestly don’t remember the last time they’ve done anything inside 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 1
Mine can go about 12 hours over night if we are all asleep.
They can also sleep for ages during the day and don't wee when we aren't in .
But I dont think it's good for them to hold in for hours overnight and a long time during the day too

In conclusion; we should consider the many different circumstances that animals and pet owners have. There is a need, and requirement for both adoption and bred animals 🥰

Reactions: 14
I don't disagree but it's not viable for everyone. I only work part-time so he's never alone more than 5 hours but he's fine to wait 6-8 if needs be. Shouldn't be all the time though, dogs need attention and exercise.
And mental stimulation, company. It’s the idiots who say it’s fine they sleep etc. The dogs don’t really have much choice other than to do that.

Reactions: 1
And mental stimulation, company. It’s the idiots who say it’s fine they sleep etc. The dogs don’t really have much choice other than to do that.
The idiots that dare work full time but want to give a dog a home? Those people that work 40 hours a week at home and their dog completely ignores them during the day? Hell! Audibly huffs when you go for a love during they day as if you have had the audacity to interrupt their time in the sun, yet comes into your home office at 5pm, toy in mouth, wagging his tail? And when you take them into work and they sunbathe and sleep all day? I’ve had two dogs, who have done the same. Let’s not judge guys 💖

Reactions: 8
The idiots that dare work full time but want to give a dog a home? Those people that work 40 hours a week at home and their dog completely ignores them during the day? Hell! Audibly huffs when you go for a love during they day as if you have had the audacity to interrupt their time in the sun, yet comes into your home office at 5pm, toy in mouth, wagging his tail? And when you take them into work and they sunbathe and sleep all day? I’ve had two dogs, who have done the same. Let’s not judge guys 💖
Yes I do judge as the animals can’t stick up for themselves or do any different. Dogs need more than to be left eight hours a day with a couple of stuffed toys. It’s not usually giving a dog a home, it’s giving a source of income to a dog breeder and then treating the dog like an inanimate object.

Lots of humans put their own needs first and the don’t judge line is a way of shutting down people who stick their neck out and point out that it’s a pretty lonely existence for a lot of social animals. Like the #bekind awfulness.

I do judge that and am allowed to-I also come to tattle for light hearted chat so will stick to other threads now as this one depressed me.

Reactions: 2