Stop *buying* puppies & kittens, animals are not a click-and-collect item!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you don’t buy 100% purebred breeds won’t they eventually die out? Genuine question, I’ve never had a dog before but always wondered this.

Reactions: 7
I have seen the local vets offer neutering for free for people from certain postcodes, though they seem to be going around the whole area slowly so there is that

My friend from London said that they have a similar scheme but he had to prove that he was under a certain income which seems a bit unfortunate tbh, he wasn't exactly 'well off' either
Oh, I’m glad to hear that some vets are still doing this, as this is really the only way to stop unwanted litters ending up in Shelters.
I’ve got a Villa in Cyprus, and it broke my heart to see these poor unwanted cats living in empty buildings, so I used to take them food and fresh water everyday, and I managed to get worming tables from the local vet, which I crushed up and put in their food, but there was so many of them, I’m not sure they all got some.
When I go back, hopefully soon, I’m going to try and catch some, and pay the vet to neuter/spay them, as they don’t do Freebies out there.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
oh no the tiring bit is arguing with customers who’ve purchased a dog that get defensive if they called out on it.
Yes I can imagine that must be frustrating but it’s unfair to say that EVERYONE who purchased a puppy in the past 12 months falls into that category.

Out of interest, what do you within the pet/animal sector? And you didn’t answer my previous question earlier in the thread; do you have any pets and if so how did you choose them?

I hope so, as it always seems to me that cats get largely forgotten in the microchip arguments. I also remember a time when certain vets would neuter cats free of charge, not sure that happens anymore which is sad imo.
And how are the vets affording to do this FOC?

Yes I can imagine that must be frustrating but it’s unfair to say that EVERYONE who purchased a puppy in the past 12 months falls into that category.

Out of interest, what do you within the pet/animal sector? And you didn’t answer my previous question earlier in the thread; do you have any pets and if so how did you choose them?
They don't answer questions that they don't like. Similarly they didn't answer my question, if dog breeding stopped where would we be in 10 years.
Pot stirrer and that's all.

Reactions: 8
if dog breeding stopped where would we be in 10 years.
I think breeding can serve a purpose. There's been historical evidence of breeds nearly dying out until breeders made an effort to re populate the breed again. Would it have been better to let that breed go extinct?

I can understand questioning people who work from home for the last year and bit who got dogs as it was handy to have as they were always at home and then thinking what do I do when I have to go back to work and didn’t think that far ahead

But you can’t tarnish everyone with the same brush and just everyone who has got a puppy or dog during lockdown

you don’t know everyone’s circumstances

I am a key worker whose life hasn’t really changed for covid , I have had the same shifts at work , I still have to go food shopping and I still have the same weekends at work but yes I got a dog during covid and my circumstances were that we got married and instead of having kids we decided to get a second dog so as far as I’m concerned there was nothing wrong with me getting a dog during covid

Reactions: 14
I think breeding can serve a purpose. There's been historical evidence of breeds nearly dying out until breeders made an effort to re populate the breed again. Would it have been better to let that breed go extinct?
Exactly. A lot of breeds are in serious decline in numbers as it is.

So the alternatives to selling are;
breed and give away free, or
don't breed and breeds die out.

Reactions: 6
With cats my main issue is people declawing them to prevent them scratching the owners or furniture. It’s horrendous behaviour and so cruel.

If you don’t buy 100% purebred breeds won’t they eventually die out? Genuine question, I’ve never had a dog before but always wondered this.
I know I’m quoting myself but if @Oohthedrama or someone with similar strong views could give some insight that would be really helpful. I do think that breeding should be stricter because I’ve seen dogs with such pushed in noses or there was that one dog at Crufts who have such a low back. That seems so cruel to the dogs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
This is making a huge generalisation on owners that do work long days and then presumably don’t have the time to walk their dogs or play with them tbh.

At the end of the day, there’s going to be some numpties who neglect their dogs needs and are probably not good owners to begin with. Others who work 8 hour days and come back home to spend time with their dogs and walk them as appropriate. Some dogs are fine with being alone and others aren’t but it all comes back to the choice to adopt potentially not being the one for that specific person.
8 hours a day is not acceptable for any dog? I honestly don’t know why I bother posting about this. It’s a miserable excuse for a life.

Yes there are many pitfalls and it can be sadly very unethical. However the idea that you should get a rescue animal is down to personal choice and dependable on your circumstances and experience.
It's like saying well adopt a kid rather than have your own which lots of people wouldn't do.
No it’s not at all like adopting a child.

We purchased a kitten, and I refuse to be judged for it.

Yes, puppy farms are completely wrong, and need to be stopped but I believe that there is a place for responsible breeding.

I didn’t want a cat, I wanted a Burmese.

I don’t know about dogs, but the breed we have bought are very very rare in rescues, we had tried plus kept an eye on the breed clubs “welfare” pages for around 3 years... nothing, we didn’t even get close. Any that were available were gone before they’re were even advertised.

Our breeder is registered, and has both mum and dad so we were able to meet both before making a decision. We brought her home at 15 weeks, the breeder wouldn’t consider earlier than this so she had enough time with her mum

Reactions: 4
8 hours a day is not acceptable for any dog? I honestly don’t know why I bother posting about this. It’s a miserable excuse for a life.

No it’s not at all like adopting a child.
8 hours is generally the maximum time a dog can be left alone. I mean by some of the people’s standards for time on this thread over half of the population probably wouldn’t be able to have dogs in general.

I know plenty of people who are at home the whole day and barely walk their dogs if at all, just as I know people who work 6-8 hours a day and do the very same thing. At the same time I also know people who genuinely care for their dogs no matter how many hours they work, and at the end of the day it depends on the dog and the owner.

Reactions: 1
There are also definitely a few home breeders that get their dogs tested and ensure their welfare and the like, at the end of the day to become a reputable breeder will require you to have some sort of experience.

Some of my extended family now run kennels and are reputable for breeding dogs and having experience with show dogs, but at the end of the day they started out as 'home' breeders who happened to be into the whole show dog business. I'm sure that business is also shady as hell, but I can testify on all accounts that they're wonderful owners, and from what I have heard from the likes of Crufts in Britain a lot of the owners are pretty good. I think it all just comes down to the breed standards being enforced/encouraged by these sorts of competitions which ultimately result in poor health.
Every well bred purebred dog i have gotten was from a `home breeder`where the dogs and puppies are in the home, dogs all health tested, titles, even with dogs who are World Winners. You think a reputable breeder is only good is they have dogs in kennels or what do you mean? Cause i am a bit confused about the term home breeders?

Even with reputable breeding it doesnt always guarantee a good healthy dog.

A lot of breeders okay-ed by the KC are inbreeding to get that 'perfect look' for the breed but the dogs back end is never right.

Is breeding ever 'ethical' I do wonder and I have a dog. This is just a pondering from me.
In my country that would not be possible.. you cant breed dogs that are closely related to eachother.

My dog also needs to be health tested, have work and show titles and be approved by the club before he can even be a stud.

8 hours is generally the maximum time a dog can be left alone. I mean by some of the people’s standards for time on this thread over half of the population probably wouldn’t be able to have dogs in general.

I know plenty of people who are at home the whole day and barely walk their dogs if at all, just as I know people who work 6-8 hours a day and do the very same thing. At the same time I also know people who genuinely care for their dogs no matter how many hours they work, and at the end of the day it depends on the dog and the owner.
Four hours a day is the maximum recommended time for a dog to be left alone. It’s going to be a miserable life for a sociable animal left eight hours a day, then expected to sleep eight hours at night. I think half the population probably shouldn’t have dogs- you are correct. Might cut down on puppy farming too. Double win.

Yes, my breed was almost gone in the 60s. In 10 years there were only about 3 dogs registered. So they brought the breed back by using look-a-likes. Still a rare breed, but there are a bit more breeders. People are upset about like certain wildlife animals getting extinct. For me a dog breed going extinct is just as bad. They are part of history. Every country should just have stricter rules about what is needed before you breed a dog.

THANKYOU! And then they get devastated when all the problems come from having puppy and kitten farmed pets. All for the vanity of having a special breed tiny animal for clout.

Adopt don't shop you selfish pricks. It's people like them that keep the cruelty going.

Reactions: 2
THANKYOU! And then they get devastated when all the problems come from having puppy and kitten farmed pets. All for the vanity of having a special breed tiny animal for clout.

Adopt don't shop you selfish pricks. It's people like them that keep the cruelty going.
What about breeds of dogs dying out of you don’t breed them and people only adopt dogs?

Adopt or shop responsibly. Reputable breeders always take a dog back if needed, they are not the reason for the dogs in the shelter. Backyard breeders, puppymills and the dumb owners who buy from those places are. Focus your hate on those `breeders`.

I have a dog who was dumped on the street by her backyard breeder, chip on their name still and they did not want her back... My well bred purebred dog that i imported, can always go back to his breeder if i ever would need to rehome him. She would come from Lithuania to pick him up.

Reactions: 2
Every well bred purebred dog i have gotten was from a `home breeder`where the dogs and puppies are in the home, dogs all health tested, titles, even with dogs who are World Winners. You think a reputable breeder is only good is they have dogs in kennels or what do you mean? Cause i am a bit confused about the term home breeders?
I’d say “home” breeders would be classed as a backyard breeder that is a lot more responsible than a backyard breeder. Seems that the kennel groups do their own inspections or some sort of vetting process on the breeders they recommend and most websites define reputable breeders as those that are highly experienced in their breeds or have a good record with breeding.

So, to me a “home” breeder would be someone who is starting out and is responsible in the sense that they have their dogs health checked but aren’t as highly experienced in their breeds or breeding in general, or aren’t as responsible on certain fronts. Seems unfair to class them as a backyard breeder since they do put the work in and will presumably want to improve.

At the end of the day reputable breeders don’t exactly seem to have a definition and I’m sure there are people here who think that the “home” breeders I described are irresponsible backyard breeders or that all breeders are irresponsible in general[/QUOTE]

^ turns out editing on a phone is harder than I though 🤦‍♀️

Ah oke, well you gotta start somewhere. If they do the health testing and what is needed, that would be fine. Think some starters are maybe not so active in getting titles and all that or are still learning about working and show titles. Can be hard in some breeds to get in that world.

I myself live in Germany and if you want to breed and get the pedigrees from the kennelclub you have to follow a bunch of rules plus even pass a test yourself before you can be a breeder and have a litter. If you dont do everything that is needed, you dont get an official pedigree for the pups.

Reactions: 1