Stop *buying* puppies & kittens, animals are not a click-and-collect item!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ok I’m sick to my back teeth of seeing people “purchasing” puppies and kittens like they belong on shelves beside the cornflakes.

as soon as I see someone posting about buying a puppy online I hate them 😡

it can’t just be me who sees, with EVERYTHING we know about puppy farming and shelters, that this is such an awful thing to do and it makes said person a bit of a crappy person.
10 years ago, even 5 years ago I might understand that someone wasn’t aware of how awful it was to contribute to this industry, but now!!!!! After the horror stories we’ve heard in the last year,

can anyone defend this choice?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 74
Excuse my naivety on the subject as I don’t know a lot about it - we’ve only ever had rescue kittens as far as I know.... but is buying a dog from a breeder the same as puppy farming? For example one of my friends bought a Jack Russell pedigree from an accredited breeder, she went to the house and met the “mum” dog and his siblings, I think she visited a few times and it was all very legit. Is this still bad? I only ask because one day I’d love to have a dog, and one of the options is of course to buy a specific breed but now I feel like that’s a really bad thing to want to do?

Reactions: 8
I’m 100% with you on this. There are so many rescues, including breed specific ones out there and they’re overflowing with neglected and unwanted animals. All my cats, rabbits and alpacas are rescue ... rescue is the best breed there is

• Heart
Reactions: 16
About 4 years ago I wanted to adopt two rescue cats. I looked around various shelters where I live in London. When I gave them my postcode, the answer was a straight up no! Their reasoning was that they won’t let cats go to properties that are within a certain proximity to a main road. My flat is near a main road, but certainly not too close. I also have a massive back garden that backs on to other back gardens. I ended up buying two kittens from a lovely local lady. They are now four years old and live happily in the same flat/garden that was deemed unsafe by the cat shelters. A friend of mine very recently was also told no because she lives in a third floor flat. Despite the shelter stipulating that the cat needs to be an indoor cat.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
Excuse my naivety on the subject as I don’t know a lot about it - we’ve only ever had rescue kittens as far as I know.... but is buying a dog from a breeder the same as puppy farming? For example one of my friends bought a Jack Russell pedigree from an accredited breeder, she went to the house and met the “mum” dog and his siblings, I think she visited a few times and it was all very legit. Is this still bad? I only ask because one day I’d love to have a dog, and one of the options is of course to buy a specific breed but now I feel like that’s a really bad thing to want to do?
In my opinion there is no need to “purchase” a puppy from anyone.

If you’re willing to research your options, and you’re willing to wait and work with a shelter there are always alternatives.

I know at times it can be a lengthy process but it can be done.

I also know if young kids are involved it can be a struggle to get the puppy/dog you want. But I think many use that as an excuse if I’m honest. There are hundreds of excuses when this topic comes up 😐

the industry as a whole is a problem, as long as it’s still thriving one “reputable” breeder is one in a sea of tit ones.

Reactions: 9
Ok I’m sick to my back teeth of seeing people “purchasing” puppies and kittens like they belong on shelves beside the cornflakes.

it can’t just be me who sees, with EVERYTHING we know about puppy farming and shelters, that this is such an awful thing to do and it makes said person a bit of a crappy person.
10 years ago, even 5 years ago I might understand that someone wasn’t aware of how awful it was to contribute to this industry, but now!!!!! After the horror stories we’ve heard in the last year,

can anyone defend this choice?
This makes my bleeping blood boil. What kind of person would “purchase” an animal from an online advert? Puppy and Kitten farming is a VERY big problem right now, and people need to be educated about it.
If you want to buy a puppy, there are so many animal shelters that should always be contacted first (same as with Cat sanctuary’s)
The last resort should be The Kennel Club, who will give you details of reputable breeders that have registered a litter, or of a litter that’s due soon.
Also, the more people that boycott these puppy farms, is one step closer to shutting them down...

We have two rescue cats, I would never buy. Around the time we were looking there was a huge shortage of kittens but we decided to hang on and wait to hear from Cats Protection when they had some available. So glad we did as we love our kitties ❤
Someone I work with bought malshi pup, was v disappointed in her for doing that. She is very cute but I still don't agree with her buying her. At the time she was looking I asked her if she was going to go rescue but I think she looked down her nose on that idea even if she didn't say so.
Some people are just selfish and want something specific so they don't care.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
About 4 years ago I wanted to adopt two rescue cats. I looked around various shelters where I live in London. When I gave them my postcode, the answer was a straight up no! Their reasoning was that they won’t let cats go to properties that are within a certain proximity to a main road. My flat is near a main road, but certainly not too close. I also have a massive back garden that backs on to other back gardens. I ended up buying two kittens from a lovely local lady. They are now four years old and live happily in the same flat/garden that was deemed unsafe by the cat shelters. A friend of mine very recently was also told no because she lives in a third floor flat. Despite the shelter stipulating that the cat needs to be an indoor cat.
I sympathise because the same thing happened with me ( as I've said before on tattle). The shelter I contacted first wouldn't even look at us. I went to another shelter and thankfully our boy was there and they did the proper checks on us and it was smooth sailing.

Reactions: 5
I have a horrible feeling that when people have to start working from the office again, there’s going to be a huge influx of rescue animals, dogs specifically.
My sister is one of these idiots. She bought a deerhound during the summer holidays and now her and her husband are back in the office, she’s leaving him at home and she’s getting angry because he’s absolutely destroying her very expensive furniture. he’s had people around for months and now they’re all gone, he’s bored and lonely.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
As the owner of a French bulldog that is as part of a puppy farm ring I have certainly seen the other side of this. It’s taken us 3 years to rehabilitate her and there are some things she will never cope with. It’s been hard work but also a labour of love because it breaks my heart what she has been through but I’m so glad we were able to give her the life she always deserved. Dogs are not fashion accessories.
Please rescue if you can and research the breed! French bulldogs might look cute but they are hard work and cost a lot of money to look after. People are just so selfish and don’t think of the animal.

I have a horrible feeling that when people have to start working from the office again, there’s going to be a huge influx of rescue animals, dogs specifically.
My sister is one of these idiots. She bought a deerhound during the summer holidays and now her and her husband are back in the office, she’s leaving him at home and she’s getting angry because he’s absolutely destroying her very expensive furniture. he’s had people around for months and now they’re all gone, he’s bored and lonely.
I fear you’re spot on here! Separation anxiety is going to be huge because the idiots won’t have thought to factor this into training during lockdown! There has definitely been a influx of people who would never have owned a dog get one just because they’re bored. Makes me so mad. They are for life not just for lockdowns!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I always love the one hundred an one excuses for why we HAD to PURCHASE a puppy or kitten 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
I personally believe if a shelter says no to you then you shouldn’t have a pet at all. There’s a reason they say no. Not an excuse to buy an animal either

• Heart
I whole heartedly agree. Half of the cats and dogs breeds out there shouldn’t even exist. Flat faced breeds are so cruel they have so many breathing problems. Have these people not seen the hundreds of lovely rescue dogs in Greece and Romania that get shipped over to homes here? Great charities doing all that good work. Many of them puppies. If you think that’s too much work then a pet isn’t for you. It takes a big big heart. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t rescue one of those rather than buy from Linda the breeder up the road. Breeding as a side job or hobby is disgraceful, the mom is used as a baby machine what a horrible existence. They just see dollar signs. I volunteer at the blue cross an you should see it. We had those naked sphynx cats , a sibling pair, returned to us three times due to the level of care they needed. People think wow cool great for Instagram but then there too much work 🤬 a side note.. it is however rare for us to get a cat that’s not fully black or black and white ... no one wants them. It’s vile. All about how they look an not providing a loving home for an animal. Another thing that absolutely winds me up no end is seeing the 90p or £1 dry food in the shops I’m sorry if that’s all you can feed your pet on please do not get a pet. It’s not fair. They’ll end up with health problems and you won’t be able to afford the vets fees. Another side note... people like to put there pets down when the vets fees are too high... why didn’t you have insurance? There’s some really dumb ass people who have pets. But on a happier note there’s so many brilliant awesome owners ❤ Sorry for the rant! Also charities who rescue stray cats and rehome them, I follow one on Facebook they have LOADS ready for adoption and they get about ten in a day strays... whywouldn’t someone get one of those :/ there really needs to be more rules. Animal buying should not be a business. What if someone kept you and kept making your pregnant just to sell your baby again and again for money... wow sorry I really have ranted

• Heart
Reactions: 12
We make a point of adopting older animals (cats and dogs) that need a home - for cats, usually over 10 years old, ginger, or black (as they are the hardest ones to find homes where I live); and for dogs - always Labradors or Retrievers (because they're the only breeds we'll trust with cats), aged 8 plus years. That said, we do have a limit though - we're not made of money. We have room for up to six cats and four dogs (own and live on a farm with all the necessary permissions in place). At present we have two dogs and four cats but we can't take on any more just at the moment as the energy balance has only just been sorted (one of our rescues was very, very neglected and it's taken a really long time to get him sorted; introducing anyone new at this point would upset that).

In the past year, we have been approached by no less than a dozen people wanting us to take on their "mistake" - a pet that they got during lockdown who now suddenly "doesn't fit in". Not only is it cruel - this animal has grown to love and get used to its human family - but we've had to say no which has eaten at our conscience. Plus, we tend to try and rescue the older ones as they are more likely to find loving homes - people generally look for younger dogs and cats when they're adopting. What's making it hard for the folks looking to offload their "mistakes" is that they want the same amount of money they originally paid for the animal - which is a huge ask when someone could pay the same amount for a puppy or kitten that they get from a baby and have as theirs from day 1.

I don't think people realise that pets - like people - are an ongoing commitment. We paid just over $4,000 last year for one of our dogs' medications, special food and vet visits for her joint issues.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
I would love a dog and a pup would be ideal as they grow up with your family and its quirks but I'm waiting to see it the perfect dog pops up, it needs to get on with kids, cats not be high maintenance, barky or dog reactive or need long walks every day. It's a long list but I will wait and see if anyone needs to rehome such a dog.

My personal peeve is those adopting animals from abroad. I swear those charities are puppy farms, as way too many of these dogs are pedigree types. Many have health problems and birth defects. For every dog brought over here from abroad, surely a dog here is either PTS or never finds a home. I have a FB friend who has adopted 4 and fosters one and all cost her a fortune and all have awful health problems and or deformed in some way and she is forever begging for donations for operations. So maybe this has put me off.

I’ve had three cats and one dog in my lifetime, all rescue. The dog we never even planned on getting, she appeared under our porch one weekend when I was young sheltering from bad weather, she was starving hungry, we fed her and took her to the vets, she had a microchip and a collar but there was no info on it. We asked what would happen if she went to the pound and nobody claimed her and were told as she was older she’d be put to sleep after 24 hours if nobody claimed her 😢 and thus we kept her! ❤ 7 years we had our lovely golden retriever cross, she really was the loveliest dog.

I have a rescue cat now and would love a dog but my partner and I aren’t home enough so it wouldn’t be fair. I would also have another ten rescue cats if I was allowed, it breaks my heart to think how many go without a home.

I have honestly never been interested in having any specific breed of cat/dog, for me it’s just the companionship and their personality. Don’t get me wrong I think certain breeds are beautiful but I just don’t agree with how they are bred and all the profiteering involved. I think it’s just how I’ve been brought up mainly, I’ve never been bothered about designer anything or having the latest whatever 😂

I think I need to read more about the Romanian rescue centres, something just doesn’t ring true for me with them.

Reactions: 4
Thank you for bringing this up ❤

I do not understand why someone would ever even consider to buy an animal (cats, dogs, rabbits, snakes.. Any type of animal), and honestly I will never make an effort to understand as it's absolutely disgusting and very low. This is something that boils my blood.

To the ones here that buy animals: why don't you go and buy yourself a pedigree child, some decente friends and a loyal partner? Oh, put brain on your shopping list as well.

• Haha
I got my cat from a friend who's cat had kittens. It wasn't until a few years ago when l came across a few cat rescues on YouTube that i learnt the true value of Adopt don't shop and how bad the feral cats situation is in other countries

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Can't help but feel a little sensitive about this post. I have just bought a puppy.

I considered rescue for 3 years, applied for 5, and a 'failed' assistance dog. There were not many that fit my criteria plus a lot of rehoming charities would not even consider me as I work 35 hours a week, despite the fact that my mum and dad walk my current dog on the 3 days a week I work all day.

The criteria for rehoming via UK based rescues frustrates me massively and contributes to the problem.

I thought long and hard about getting a puppy, but genuinely didn't want to wait any longer. My older dog is getting older and she isn't going to live forever. It would affect my MH massively if I was without a dog. I started looking in October 2020 and I brought her home 5 days ago. Yep I paid money for her, after 3 years it was the right decision.

Do I support breeding? I guess so, but very particular.
Do I support puppy farming? Definitely not.
These are not one in the same thing.

If breeders stopped breeding, where would we be in 10 years?

However in the past 12 months a lot of people have bought a puppy without full consideration and we are already seeing the fallout of that. And don't get me started on people complaining about vet fees.

ETA my pupper was not bought online. I was in contact with the breeder from the week the pregnancy was confirmed and heard from her every few days with updates and photos. Still in touch with her now.

Gutted you hate me. How will I sleep 🤣🙄

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 66
As someone who purchased a dog 4 years ago I am one the evil people lots of you are talking about.

When I started looking at dogs I looked at rescues. In contacted every rescue charity locally and within a 50 mile radius to me but each one said no as soon as I said I had children of a certain age. There was no reasoning with them and no explaining our circumstances. We live in the countryside with a 500ft garden. We back onto open fields and woodland. I work part time minutes from my house and my husband works shifts so is often home in the day when I am at work. My children have both been raised around dogs and know all the boundaries and have great respect for any animal. I wanted a dog so I felt safe in my house when my husband was at work during the night.

Because we couldn’t rescue we decided to buy a puppy. And she is amazing. We purposefully chose a breed that is rare in the entire world so know that they aren’t over bred. The health problems within the breed are minimal and the breeder lives locally to us. She wasn’t a ridiculous price either and I don’t think the breeder even made any money from the litter once vet bills etc had been covered.

I believe that yes there are some despicable breeders out there and there are far too many people who don’t deserve the dogs they have. But I don’t think that everyone who buys a dog should be lumped into that category. We went into buying a puppy sensibly and didn’t make a rash decision. I adore her as do all of our family.

I think rescue charities need to be less ‘computer says no’ and look at people that wish to adopt sensibly.

• Heart
Reactions: 48