Stomach Cramps after COVID

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve had COVID twice. First time in August 2021 (assume it was the delta variant) & second time more recently earlier this month (assuming it was omicron)

I was quite ill during but didn’t have any lasting affects after delta apart from my sense of smell took a couple of months to return.

Was absolutely fine with the omicron just had a sore throat which lead me to book a PCR.

For a week now I’ve been having the worst stomach cramps a few hours after eating. I’ve not changed anything in my diet or tried any new foods, don’t have any allergies either. The pain comes on very suddenly and they only last about 10-20 minutes.
I’m literally doubled over in pain and have to run to the loo because it feels like I’m about to tit myself🤣 But nothing comes out. I’ll then have a normal poo a few hours later.

Apparently, I’ve read online, it can be a symptom of long-COVID. Has anyone experienced similar? Is it worth going to the GP?

I don’t think stomach cramps are a recognised NHS symptom of long covid (and using that loosely as we still don’t know enough about it) but medically any unexplained pain that doesn’t go away/can’t be explained by injury, should be investigated. It would be worth seeing your GP. They should hopefully be able to refer you for a CT/ultrasound or if needed a long Covid service.

Reactions: 1
Pre-covid , ibs symptoms were sometimes attributed to a virus upsetting the balance of enzymes in the digestive system.

But , sudden cramps/ poo pain for me is a sign of stress

However, changes in what's normal should be investigated as there are many things it could be.
Please speak to your doctor.

Reactions: 1
A family friend had this after having Covid... but he's a child and this is an (apparently) rare side effect in children post-Covid.

OTOH I had the same and wondered if I had also had COVID but I was completely fine - it was attributed as being a symptom of IBS. I was given Mebeverine which helped the cramps slow down.

Like the previous poster says though it can also be stress related. And I did notice that as my anxiety and stress lessened so did my symptoms. I would talk to your GP.

Reactions: 2