Stationary bike - calories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
OK so I'm looking into buying some exercise equipment for home to try and shift some lockdown weight.

I'm drawn to the exercise bike - any ideas how much an hours low resistance, low speed workout would burn in a 130lb gal? I know my weights not that high but I am short and small framed so I'm not carrying it well!

I do spinning classes and would burn 500 to 600 calories per class (according to the trackers) in 45 mins but would be in a mid to heavy gear for a lot of it. Honestly I don't think you'd burn much in a low gear, maybe 150 calories.

If you can you'd be better doing a shorter time in a heavier gear.

Reactions: 1
OK so I'm looking into buying some exercise equipment for home to try and shift some lockdown weight.

I'm drawn to the exercise bike - any ideas how much an hours low resistance, low speed workout would burn in a 130lb gal? I know my weights not that high but I am short and small framed so I'm not carrying it well!
I’ve found calorie burn on a bike quite low until you jack up the resistance to quite high. When I was cycling because of an injury I did 40 minutes on a 15 level resistance which would burn about 250 calories. I have found you can get much better results from HIIT as that works more muscle groups.

I have a stationary exercise bike and have been using it for years. I quite like it while I watch one friend's episode or something. However it's very low impact and doesn't burn many calories. If you are looking to really lose weight then I think you'd want to do more than just the exercise bike. I alternate between long walks and exercise bikes and I think it helps me stay active more than anything...

I have a stationary exercise bike and have been using it for years. I quite like it while I watch one friend's episode or something. However it's very low impact and doesn't burn many calories. If you are looking to really lose weight then I think you'd want to do more than just the exercise bike. I alternate between long walks and exercise bikes and I think it helps me stay active more than anything...
How many are we talking when we say not many? It's so subjective!

How many are we talking when we say not many? It's so subjective!
Depends how long you do it for. I can burn 200-300 calories if I do it for half an hour. Maybe 500 calories if I exercise for an hour. I normally do 1 friends episode and it helps me burn 250-300 calories and I also try to get 6-7K steps a day so that's another 250 calories. My exercise bike has a little screen and shows me how many calories I'm burning which is encouraging lol.

Hello everyone, I recently decided to start exercising on a stationary bike, but I was told that for serious cycling you need special shoes that meet certain requirements. I looked at the peloton shoes review, and it seems to me that in such shoes I will be completely uncomfortable. Who is currently engaged in the peloton, tell me which shoes are better to use?

Hello everyone, I recently decided to start exercising on a stationary bike, but I was told that for serious cycling you need special shoes that meet certain requirements. I looked at the peloton shoes review, and it seems to me that in such shoes I will be completely uncomfortable. Who is currently engaged in the peloton, tell me which shoes are better to use?
We got rid of our peloton in exchange for a watt bike but we changed the pedals to the brand of cycling shoe we were comfortable in. It’s easy to do

I do regular spinning classes and use Shimano shoes with cleats. They are completely comfortable.
The classes are 45 mins long and I usually burn 350-400 calories.
I think lifting weights in body pump classes burns more fat.

I’m 130lbs ish, I probably would struggle to burn 2-300 calories unless I really went for it, with speed and resistance on a stationary bike…

I tend to burn 250-ish in 30 minutes but I have my level between 10-14 and my reps per minute rarely drop below 80