Split the bill or pay for your own order?

Split the bill equal or pay for your own meal?

• Split the bill

• Pay for what you ordered

Results are only viewable after voting.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m curious, you go out to a restaurant with a group of friends. When the bill comes, do you divide it by the number of people, or pay for what you individually ordered? Personally I don’t drink alcohol or always order all three courses so I’d rather not pay for someone who’s downing wine and having starter, main and dessert. However I’m typically British and wouldn’t quibble over a couple of quid. Thoughts?

If I go with friends we tend to split it, as drinks wise we always have the same. One of the friends always comes with a money bag full of loose change. Pays exactly her share, never rounds up and never tips!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
If I go with friends we tend to split it, as drinks wise we always have the same. One of the friends always comes with a money bag full of loose change. Pays exactly her share, never rounds up and never tips!
That’s definitely not me! I’m usually the one rounding up the tip to cover the tight ones who won’t tip.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
My friends and I would normally split the bill. We would usually have the same number of courses though. If someone only had a soft drink and 1 course whilst everyone else was downing the wine and eating 3 courses, I would say to that person only to pay for their share.

Reactions: 20
If you have one course and drink tap water then sure pay your own. However, I personally wouldn’t mind splitting just because someone had an extra course. Baring in mind a starter is usually £6-8 (depending on where you eat) it isn’t going to break the bank splitting that extra cost.
However if you’re only having one course in order to save money- id just make that clear at the start of the meal to save the awkwardness at the end.
Each to their own but for ease i’d rather just split. I find myself generally being less generous with people who always only want to pay their share.. might sound nit picky but it can be frustrating in some situations

Reactions: 9
I agree with @Hinchhater1442 I’ve been on a tight budget before but been upfront with friends with what I could afford and bless them sometimes they’d treat me. Ofcourse now things are better I sometimes like to treat them and will pay the whole bill.
But for me the general rule is you split the bill and you leave a 10% tip, unless the service was tit then none

Reactions: 3
Just split it. But for example if someones not drinking and everyone else has had alot of wine, cocktails I would just expect them to pay for their food. Not fair when wine and cocktails can be £8-10 each.

Reactions: 6
I agree with @Hinchhater1442 I’ve been on a tight budget before but been upfront with friends with what I could afford and bless them sometimes they’d treat me. Ofcourse now things are better I sometimes like to treat them and will pay the whole bill.
But for me the general rule is you split the bill and you leave a 10% tip, unless the service was tit then none
So funny that 10% is normal in the UK. I am from the UK btw and was glad tipping is not as expected. BUT I moved to North America where it very much is, in fact 10% is insulting and basically says it was tit. The "accepted" tip is 15-20%. What is mad, is you're not only expected to tip at restaurants, but also hairdressers, spas, etc.

Reactions: 1
We'd generally split, and if someone hasn't drank and/or had considerably less they pay what they've had and split the rest

I will always pay for my own meal, purely because i will have a 2 course meal whereas my friends will have 3 courses so why should i pay more to make their meals cheaper.
I am that sad person with my phone out and a notebook working out who owes what.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Always split the bill and the tip as generally have the same number of courses and even if I was driving or my drink was cheaper life’s too short to argue over a few quid.

I have family members who will come for a meal e.g. for my birthday, sit there being miserable, share a starter and drink tap water so they can only pay for theirs. I’m like just don’t bother coming 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Split the bill unless someone had a lot more then the rest then I'd say pay for what you ordered individually or its not fair on the others. Give a tip if the service was good I don't just give a tip for the sake of it. :giggle:

Reactions: 4
Depends who I'm with.

I've got a friend that's always like "I'm ok to split the bill" when she always orderes the most expensive things. Kinda not her choice if it works in her favour! She's often just not bothered to work out how much she owes and hoovers up the tips by paying the outstanding amount!

I used to find it embrassing working it out, but it's fine and I prefer it as some friends are on a limited income and wouldn't want them to cover me.

Reactions: 5
Split the bill unless your mates are taking the piss with what they’ve ordered. I would always offer if I have spent considerably more.

Reactions: 2
As above. If everyone’s drinking then split it... if someone didn’t drink I’d offer to pay more etc. I’m probably overly generous sometimes. A few friends I’ll pay the bill as they’ve paid it before or they’ll get it next time.

unless you have someone who is deliberately taking the mick and ordering the most expensive wine, meal or whatever every single time then it usually evens itself out over time.

friends who I know are short I’ll offer to pay and just say they can sort me out another time too.

Reactions: 2
Depends what I've had. I went out for a meal with family a few weeks ago and couldn't afford anything more than a kids meal for myself and a glass of water. They all drank alcohol and had 2 courses. So I was 'that person' and insisted on just paying for what me and my kids had.

Other times I haven't been as bothered if I've had a proper, full meal.

• Sad
I pay for what I ordered as I don’t drink and don’t eat three courses. However, one of us will always happily pay the entire bill on a card and sort the money out after leaving the restaurant rather than driving the waiting staff mad trying to calculate it on the spot.

Depends who I'm with.

I've got a friend that's always like "I'm ok to split the bill" when she always orderes the most expensive things. Kinda not her choice if it works in her favour! She's often just not bothered to work out how much she owes and hoovers up the tips by paying the outstanding amount!

I used to find it embrassing working it out, but it's fine and I prefer it as some friends are on a limited income and wouldn't want them to cover me.
I hate it when people hoover up the tips like that!!

Reactions: 1