Spend less 2021 and money saving tips

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Very random but for those who like reading on kindles etc and maybe pay for books on them check to see if your library offers an online service where you can get books for free. I joined my local library online and then downloaded an app and put my new library member details in and get access to loads of the latest books all for free the app is called borrow box but I just joined on the library’s website first. Might be worth looking if your library has anything similar if you’re a keen reader!

Reactions: 4
Always do regular reviews of spend.

Separate out necessities and luxuries. Never try and convince yourself something is a necessity when its a luxury.

Don't be sucked in by consumerism. Ask yourself why you need £130.00 earphones when £30.00 ones will do.

When looking at luxuries remind yourself of a time when you managed and lived perfectly okay without them.

Do you really need so much streaming or are you getting it because everyone else has it. Netflix, amazon, now tv, britbox etc.

I cancelled £28 gym membership since lockdown. I can utilise tons of free fitness stuff on apps and on you tube. Plus there's the great outdoors - so what if its a bit rainy or cold.

I saved so much by cancelling amazon prime and like the gym I don't miss it one bit. I now do less amazon online shopping as a result so even further savings.

Again, don't convince yourself these are necessities.

Also I've saved £25 by changing to sim only phone account.

Reactions: 4
Very random but for those who like reading on kindles etc and maybe pay for books on them check to see if your library offers an online service where you can get books for free. I joined my local library online and then downloaded an app and put my new library member details in and get access to loads of the latest books all for free the app is called borrow box but I just joined on the library’s website first. Might be worth looking if your library has anything similar if you’re a keen reader!
I also have this app and it's amazing! Sometimes there can be a long waitlist, but the last non school book I bought myself was instrumental by James Rhodes in 2017! Think I've saved a small fortune by using libraries only.

I only became serious about saving money at 26. The best thing I did at 18 though was to pay into a £25 a month policy. It was over 10 years and I know I would have frittered that money away without even noticing it and it was in an account I couldn't touch until last year.

I pay £2 a week into my younger sister's (20) LISA account. Free 25% top up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Hi All, I’ve just found this thread (I’ve been deep in searches for money saving tips this week) it’s payday today 🥳 and I’ve managed to save 90% this month.

However, I’m now starting to feel anxious/apprehensive about life after lockdown and staying on track with saving. For context I spent waaaaay too much than I saved last year. Although I achieved small wins realising now how much I squandered makes me feel sick.

Does anyone have any ideas how to keep going next month?

Reactions: 5
Hi All, I’ve just found this thread (I’ve been deep in searches for money saving tips this week) it’s payday today 🥳 and I’ve managed to save 90% this month.

However, I’m now starting to feel anxious/apprehensive about life after lockdown and staying on track with saving. For context I spent waaaaay too much than I saved last year. Although I achieved small wins realising now how much I squandered makes me feel sick.

I think it’s about training your mind out of impulse purchases (if that’s an issue for you?) and setting a budget that you stick to. Tracking spending always really helps me hold myself accountable and spot the areas where I can pull back or assess ‘want’ vs ‘need’.

I’m really hoping that lockdown has taught me and my friends that we don’t need dinner/drinks/tickets to something to spend time together and catch up... but I am similarly apprehensive that being ‘set free’ will lead to lots of spending again to make up for lost time!

Reactions: 3
Yes, it’s definitely that feeling of we’re going to be set free let’s go out, let’s eat etc and make up for lost time. I’m really training myself out of impulse shopping or purchases but when I get down/sad it’s soooooo easy. I’ve deleted Apple Pay, shopping apps etc too now. I have locked everything away on monzo in pots and cut up my card (extreme behaviour but I needed it).

So tryna just focus on ptting as much as possible away, trying to now shop my wardrobe and only eat what’s at home - cupboards freezer etc. It’s so hard to keep at times to keep going but in the long run I know it’ll be worth it. I wanted to treat myself to a takeaway this evening but have managed to talk myself out it (for now 😂). I think I’ll feel guilty if I do order it (I’ll treat my whole family too).

Reactions: 1

Set a budget for days/nights out and only take that amount of money with you so you can’t be tempted to overspend after a few drinks. You could also try and make some extra money that could be fun money for you? Surveys apps, selling old clothes/house stuff on eBay/FB marketplace.

Reactions: 1
Set a budget for days/nights out and only take that amount of money with you so you can’t be tempted to overspend after a few drinks. You could also try and make some extra money that could be fun money for you? Surveys apps, selling old clothes/house stuff on eBay/FB marketplace.
Great idea! I also think I need to not feel guilty 😆

Jan 2020 I set up a Plum account. It links to your bank account(s) and takes little bits here and there. You can tell it to take more or less or nothing. You can transfer it back any time. At the end of the year I had just over £1000 and I hadn't noticed it or felt like I was saving. I added round ups so when I use my card it rounds to the nearest pound and adds that. My son, added rainy day, and it takes an amount each time, he had it set to £5. My husband did it too and he had £1800 at the end and used it to clear a loan early. I'm at £1250 now, three months into this year, not a fortune but it will make a difference soon.

• Heart
Reactions: 6