Sober Curious tattlers support thread (Dry January and beyond!)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone have any advice on reducing drinking, especially during the week? I'm trying to get myself into a place where I drink socially and maybe on the weekend, rather than just opening a bottle on a random Tuesday because I can. I had every plan this week to not have a drink until Saturday when Strictly's on, but it all went out the window yesterday because I'm so used to a mid-week drink. I know it's a case of will-power and distracting myself from the urge, but would love to hear any particular tips that have helped people here!
I always found it impossible to stick to rules or moderate and I always ended up obsessing about when I could or couldn’t drink. Stopping completely just took all that stress away and I found it much much easier than trying to moderate

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I do agree - not buying in the first place helps. And not going to the shops in the evening after a day at work & when you're more inclined to pick up a bottle. Things that worked for me - early in the evening have a nice Fentimans with ice and a slice in a nice glass/ low abv beer. Later in the evening, having a shower /brushing my teeth/ getting into my PJs/ having a cup of tea instead.

Reactions: 3
I also find once I’ve had my dinner the craving is gone and I’m happy just to chill out on the sofa with water and some biscuits 🤣

Reactions: 5
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I definitely don't keep a stash of booze in my flat, but I live across the road from a Co-op, two minutes walk from Aldi and Sainsbury's, and five minutes from Lidl and a 24 hour Tesco's - so even without booze at hand I can basically pick it up any time day or night if I get cravings! Not great when trying to moderate.

I do tend to get cravings as soon as I've finished work so will try to do a workout then, and hold out til after dinner and see how that works for me, and keep good non-alcoholic alternatives on hand. Got my 0% beers at the ready for this evening and the weekend! :)

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I definitely don't keep a stash of booze in my flat, but I live across the road from a Co-op, two minutes walk from Aldi and Sainsbury's, and five minutes from Lidl and a 24 hour Tesco's - so even without booze at hand I can basically pick it up any time day or night if I get cravings! Not great when trying to moderate.

I do tend to get cravings as soon as I've finished work so will try to do a workout then, and hold out til after dinner and see how that works for me, and keep good non-alcoholic alternatives on hand. Got my 0% beers at the ready for this evening and the weekend! :)
That would be hard for me if I had shops that close. I remember when we first moved to our place I was annoyed at how far the shops were but now I’m happy because otherwise I’d be in there every day either buying alcohol or buying junk food!

I haven't had a drink for over two and a half years. I tried to cut down but it was really hard. For me total abstinence is easier.
I craved sweets for a long time. I was cramming Midget Gems into my mouth like it was a competitive sport - it would take ages to chomp them down and hence delay a drink. Now I am heartily sick of them - and I had to have a filling refilled! I like a bit of dark chocolate and that is it. I have definitely lost my ethanol belly bulge and all my clothes are looser.
I don't fancy alcohol at all and am glad when I am with friends drinking that I am sober. They just laugh at any old nonsense and get louder and louder.
I am an introvert so have never liked big crowds and parties so I think I drank to get over the social anxiety. Now I just see friends in smaller numbers in quieter venues. I am much happier.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I dont drink.

I was absolutely wild in my younger days and when I got pregnant with my daughter 7 years ago I obviously didn't have a drink and then when she was born I never started again.

I would rather have a sparkling water and a clear head the next day. I've been called boring, disbelief from people, sly comments about being strange as I don't drink. The comments don't bother me at all.

I'm not saying I would never have a drink again but I highly doubt I'll ever get shitfaced and throw up again 🤣

Surprisingly I'm 22 weeks pregnant and absolutely craving a pint of San Miguel, couldn't have one even if I wasn't pregnant as I'm gluten free.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I gave up drinking 10 years ago (I'm in my fifties now). I just stopped enjoying it and felt more and more crap the morning after. Never drank spirits or wine much, mostly beer or cider.

Don't miss it at all but do get fed up of explaining to people why I'm teetotal. Some folk just can't conceive why you wouldn't drink any more.

I gave up drinking 10 years ago (I'm in my fifties now). I just stopped enjoying it and felt more and more crap the morning after. Never drank spirits or wine much, mostly beer or cider.

Don't miss it at all but do get fed up of explaining to people why I'm teetotal. Some folk just can't conceive why you wouldn't drink any more.
It just shows how ingrained the alcohol culture is in this country. I have had people ask me why I deny myself pleasure. Others want to know how long this will last, like it's just weird fad. I've even had people tell me what they drink in the week as if I'm the drink police - it's bonkers!
It does become very tiresome.

I'm planning to do Sober October to try and reset myself and then see how I feel in November. I have tried Sober October before and made it til about the 17th, but this time I have a goal! I have a couple of gigs coming up in Nov and Dec for which I want to wear some vintage band t-shirts I have, which are now a little unforgiving of my booze belly. Hoping that a month without alcohol will reduce that.

The difficult thing for me is that without booze I would naturally turn to fizzy drinks but my IBS is flaring up and fizzy drinks are making me really bloated and causing pain. I'm going to try having them open for a while before drinking to reduce the fizz. Does anyone have any non-fizzy drink suggestions?

I'm planning to do Sober October to try and reset myself and then see how I feel in November. I have tried Sober October before and made it til about the 17th, but this time I have a goal! I have a couple of gigs coming up in Nov and Dec for which I want to wear some vintage band t-shirts I have, which are now a little unforgiving of my booze belly. Hoping that a month without alcohol will reduce that.

The difficult thing for me is that without booze I would naturally turn to fizzy drinks but my IBS is flaring up and fizzy drinks are making me really bloated and causing pain. I'm going to try having them open for a while before drinking to reduce the fizz. Does anyone have any non-fizzy drink suggestions?
I really like elderflower cordial if I don’t do fizzy water. X

Reactions: 2
Non fizzy drinks for me - Water with ice & slice of lemon, pineapple juice, peach squash with ice, lemon & ginger tea
I'm going to do sober October. I've been drinking on & off for 2 months (not getting drunk though) but coming into winter I can see my drinking increasing a lot so I want to get into better habits.
It's lovely to have this group 😊

I wish there was an AF wine that actually tastes like wine. My OH hasn’t had a drink in over 2 months, they’ve been drinking AF beer and for them it’s an acceptable substitute, but I like the taste of wine…

Non fizzy drinks for me - Water with ice & slice of lemon, pineapple juice, peach squash with ice, lemon & ginger tea
I'm going to do sober October. I've been drinking on & off for 2 months (not getting drunk though) but coming into winter I can see my drinking increasing a lot so I want to get into better habits.
It's lovely to have this group 😊
Great suggestions, thank you :) Hooray, another Sober October-er! Yes, winter can be difficult if you're trying to moderate, especially as so many spirits are reduced in price in December. I have fallen into the trap of stocking up when they're cheap thinking they'll last me for months and then.. they don't 😅

I wish there was an AF wine that actually tastes like wine. My OH hasn’t had a drink in over 2 months, they’ve been drinking AF beer and for them it’s an acceptable substitute, but I like the taste of wine…
I wish that too! I tried an AF wine and it was just like sub-standard grape juice. I do like AF beers when I can tolerate fizziness, but it would be really nice to have an acceptable substitute for wine.

I wish that too! I tried an AF wine and it was just like sub-standard grape juice. I do like AF beers when I can tolerate fizziness, but it would be really nice to have an acceptable substitute for wine.
yeah the AF wine I have tried is foul. I just don’t like beer, I don’t mind the AF fruit ciders (because really that’s like fruity pop) but I don’t always want the fizz and I bloody love wine 🙃

Sober 5 years here! I went cold turkey as I found it easier but my suggestions are… find out what makes you want a drink. If it’s in the same way you crave chocolate or sweets it probably is more of a taste thing and AF drinks can help! If it’s to wind down or relax, making a new routine could be good. Mock tails are fun when you’re out and if you order one with a funny name, people won’t even know what’s in it. Recommend that for family gatherings too- mixing drinks is really fun (although I do not recommend milk and orange juice- vile). And if all else fails “I’m on big tablets” stops most questions in their tracks.

Reactions: 4
Hi
I am so glad I found this thread . I am starting my sober free journey today. I have been drinking a lot in the last weeks. I am a single mum to a complex special needs child and I find once he’s in bed I’m reaching for the wine and before I know it I’ve drank a bottle. Any advice would be welcome to distract my cravings would be welcome

• Heart
I was doing well with not drinking and enjoying it. I’ve started intermittent fasting so have to stop taking in calories at 8pm so that’s helped me not drink as I think what’s the point. Then Wednesday went out with work friends and got so drunk! Thursday hangover was so bad that I’m definitely firmly back on the wagon again for a while. Actually feel in control of my drinking (and eating) for the first time in years.

Reactions: 1