Sober Curious tattlers support thread (Dry January and beyond!)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My tolerance has fed decreased, there’s been a few times I’ve been drunk drunk this month and I’ve felt AWFUL the day after. Having said that I’ve def been drinking less, helped by the fact that my OH hasn’t had a drink for nearly two months now. I can actually have 1 or 2 glasses of wine and stop which I never used to be able to do. I’ve been buying the 500ml bottles from Tesco and that helps (I drank a whole one last night and a bit more but previously I’d have easily had a whole 750ml bottle and then opened another…)

I have a ‘10 day yoga’ challenge coming up, so the plan is to not drink at all during that.

Reactions: 1
Still going strong into my 9th month. After watching and reading a lot of quit books/vlogs it's a myth you loose lots of weight when you stop it takes a while for your body to recover from years of drinking alcohol which is full of sugar hence we crave sweets/choc to compensate. Gradually you will start to eat less sweet things but most people say if you are eating more rather than drinking go with it.

Reactions: 4
I’m 5months 20days, and tonight I am absolutely craving a drink
I’ve cleaned my house top to bottom and I still have the craving.
I put a bottle of wine in the fridge and have sat and thought and thought about it. Do I have a wine or not? My heads tortured. I really want one but I also hate breaking a streak of anything I do

I put a bottle of wine in the fridge and have sat and thought and thought about it. Do I have a wine or not? My heads tortured. I really want one but I also hate breaking a streak of anything I do
Whatever happens 5 months 20 days is really good and your house is sparkling clean 👏
Why don't you brush your teeth and have a shower, get ready for bed or just have a cup of tea and then see how you feel...
I sometimes feel if I want a drink, I'll have an alcohol free drink and then see if I'm still really wanting one after that
How will you feel in the morning if you drink that wine now?

Wind it forward how will you feel in the morning if you drink. Have a bath, read a book, watch a movie take your mind off the craving and it will pass.

I know if I drink I will have a crap nights sleep and I can't stop at one so would be hungover tomorrow that is enough to stop me.

Reactions: 3
As someone who wants to quit and hasn’t all I can say is it’s not worth it. I’m drinking tonight and it has not scratched the itch I have and I now know all that will happen is I’ll have a rubbish night sleep tonight, I’ll eat junk tomorrow and I won’t work to my potential x

Thanks guys 🥰
I poured myself a thimble and I tasted it and I put the bottle away again.
I know if I was a recovering alcoholic (which I’m not I was a binge drinking in social settings and I was sick of the hangovers) that counts as a relapse but I’m not counting it as one as it genuinely was a drop. It burned down my throat and I thought nah I’ll have a squash instead which I’m currently drinking
Would anyone else count it as a break or that it doesn’t count?

• Heart
Thanks guys 🥰
I poured myself a thimble and I tasted it and I put the bottle away again.
I know if I was a recovering alcoholic (which I’m not I was a binge drinking in social settings and I was sick of the hangovers) that counts as a relapse but I’m not counting it as one as it genuinely was a drop. It burned down my throat and I thought nah I’ll have a squash instead which I’m currently drinking
Would anyone else count it as a break or that it doesn’t count?
Well done you 👏👏
And it doesn't count 😊 I'd have a whole low alcohol beer of 0.5 percent and count that as alcohol free!
You've probably ingested 0.01 percent!!

Tip - freeze your unused wine in freezer bags to use in risottos etc

Reactions: 2
Without sounding cringe thank you who responded for the support on here tonight 🥰 xx

I’ve had a really tough day at work and I think it all got on top of me. I’m watching nine perfect strangers (it’s shite don’t bother) and I’m going to have a nice hot shower before bed and wake up tomorrow and be thankful I don’t have a stinking hangover, stifling anxiety and a IBS tummy cramp🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 6
2 months 25 days sober. Stopped to help my autoimmune disease and for my mental health after 2020. Today is the one year anniversary of my friend passing away. I actually love being sober now and rarely think about drinking but when I’m in a dark place like today, it is so hard to sit with being sober 😓

• Heart
Reactions: 5
2 months 25 days sober. Stopped to help my autoimmune disease and for my mental health after 2020. Today is the one year anniversary of my friend passing away. I actually love being sober now and rarely think about drinking but when I’m in a dark place like today, it is so hard to sit with being sober 😓
You can do it, the moment will pass and you’ll feel better for sticking to it 🥰

• Heart
Honestly it’s mad isn’t it how one really bad day of work and nearly six months of no cravings to nearly having a bottle last night!
When I woke up today I was so grateful I didn’t. It’s made me realise how much I used a glass of wine to end a tit day before

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Haven’t been here for ages but wanted to update you guys about hypnotherapy programme I purchased that has worked SO well. (https://clearmindshypnotherapy.com/products/30-days-dry-package-hypnotherapy)

I’ve completed it (30 days) and can honestly say it has entirely removed my desire for alcohol. I’ve given up for short periods before ( occasional Dry January, and actually for a whole year in 2017!), but once I started again my consumption has always crept back up.

Even when I’ve stopped before, the desire has always remained, I’ve just used will power. This feels different because it has just made me feel genuinely indifferent to alcohol. It’s bizarre but I feel freed!!

I have nothing to gain from recommending it but honestly SO glad I did.

Haven’t been here for ages but wanted to update you guys about hypnotherapy programme I purchased that has worked SO well. (https://clearmindshypnotherapy.com/products/30-days-dry-package-hypnotherapy)

I’ve completed it (30 days) and can honestly say it has entirely removed my desire for alcohol. I’ve given up for short periods before ( occasional Dry January, and actually for a whole year in 2017!), but once I started again my consumption has always crept back up.

Even when I’ve stopped before, the desire has always remained, I’ve just used will power. This feels different because it has just made me feel genuinely indifferent to alcohol. It’s bizarre but I feel freed!!

I have nothing to gain from recommending it but honestly SO glad I did.
Thats good to hear. I did their alcohol reducing one for a couple of weeks and it didn’t really do anything for me. I always fell asleep during it and got woken at the end and wasn’t sure if that was right or not 🤣 like was I hypnotised or just snoozing

• Haha
Does anyone have any advice on reducing drinking, especially during the week? I'm trying to get myself into a place where I drink socially and maybe on the weekend, rather than just opening a bottle on a random Tuesday because I can. I had every plan this week to not have a drink until Saturday when Strictly's on, but it all went out the window yesterday because I'm so used to a mid-week drink. I know it's a case of will-power and distracting myself from the urge, but would love to hear any particular tips that have helped people here!

Does anyone have any advice on reducing drinking, especially during the week? I'm trying to get myself into a place where I drink socially and maybe on the weekend, rather than just opening a bottle on a random Tuesday because I can. I had every plan this week to not have a drink until Saturday when Strictly's on, but it all went out the window yesterday because I'm so used to a mid-week drink. I know it's a case of will-power and distracting myself from the urge, but would love to hear any particular tips that have helped people here!
The things that worked for me are exercising in the evenings and then pouring myself an alcohol free wine in a wine glass or a soft drink in a wine glass.

The things that worked for me are exercising in the evenings and then pouring myself an alcohol free wine in a wine glass or a soft drink in a wine glass.
That's a great idea, thank you! I did pick up some alcohol free beers last night when I went to get the wine so I will definitely try that :)

Im by no means an authority as I have good weeks and bad weeks but what works for me is not buying it in the first place. Today I’ve had a big craving to buy a bottle of wine but so far I’m successfully overriding it by distracting myself and I have no wine at home so I keep thinking once I’m home I’ll be safe 🤣

Reactions: 2