Should Big Brother Be Brought Back?

Should Big Brother Be Re-Comissioned?

• Yes

Votes: 51 53.7%
  • No

Votes: 44 46.3%

• Total voters
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've recently been watching The Circle and I do think it is pitiful compared to Big Brother. It got me thinking about how much I miss Big Brother. It was such a great show that people still talk about. I also think it was the first woke show there was. In the 2000s we had trans contestants, black contestants, gay, bi, lesbian and non binary contestants. This is something that would be topical in the present with the woke movement and calls for the government to ban 'gay conversion therapy', as well as the 'Black Lives Matter' movement.

I do feel the format of the show is timeless. It's people interacting in a confined space, and also arguing! The circle can't really compete with that. If you look back to old episodes of BB, they still feel current and relevant.

I hope a network such as ITV would acquire broadcating rights to it. I think it would be a good way to update the channel's dated and tired image. They also have the funds to invest in a big budget show like Big Brother!

How do you feel? Should it be brought back or has it had its day? Are you glad to see the back of it or do you miss it and think it could prove popular with today's viewing audience?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
No.

it was a great idea when it first started, before social media. The whole premise of watching real people interact with each other in real time online and in a tv show format was new & fresh and innovative when it began. It was all very genuine and that’s why it was so well loved. But times have changed now. It became no longer about real people or a social experiment, it just turned into essentially an audition for people desperate to be famous. The people involved seemed to become more & more over the top/strange/fake hungry as time went on.

it’s had it’s day. Technology, media and young people have all moved on.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I LOVED big brother. I’d love for it to come back, but I know it wouldn’t be the same and I only really liked the early series. I didn’t watch towards the end.

I would love for them to re show them on TV though. That would have been great lockdown viewing!

Reactions: 9
Absolutely loved Big Brother in the early days, it made my summer and watched it every night. It really was a one of a kind show in it's day, I'm getting all nostalgic thinking about it! Re-runs of the first 7 or 8 years would be great but wouldn't really be interested in watching a new series

Reactions: 9
I would love for it to come back. But with ordinary people, not the reality wannabes they had on later series, like people from ex on the beach etc
And make it like the first few series when they didn’t have a washing machine and they had to collect eggs from the chickens. I only think it would be good if they stripped it right back. I would watch it but I dunno if anyone else would lol

Reactions: 10
I think it has had its time. As people have said the earlier series were great but society changed and it stopped working as well. And as Gillybean42 said the contestants in the last few years were all media savvy, z-list connections, had agents, and were looking to make a career out of it. Took all the fun and spontaneous aspects from it as people were all very 'aware' kind of thing.. And a big nail in the coffin was when live feed was axed, it just became like any other reality show.

Maybe it could work on a streaming platform as there could be less regulations (no idea if that's the case) but would just be crap again on terrestrial TV.

Reactions: 5
I loved Big Brother, can't get into the Circle at all, so cheesy. If they could redo big brother like the original seasons I think it would be great.

Reactions: 4
I enjoyed the first series, never got to watch it for years and when I did I thought it was awful so to answer the original question...No don't bring it back.

Reactions: 1
Sadly no. I genuinely think the first few seasons were ground-breaking TV. They didn't even have a clock in the house because they wanted to see how people coped with not knowing the time. Basic house and basic rations. Fast forward a bit (5 or 6 years maybe?) all of the contestants looked the same and were out for a career in fame. Another network could throw millions at it and it still wouldn't have the same impact that it did back in the day. Watching people like Nasty Nick, Jade, Nikki, Makosi and events like fight night, will Paul and Helen kiss, will Michelle and Stu have sex was fantastic TV. No social media back then and you looked forward to going to school/work the following day to talk about it. Then it all turned to tit and carried on being broadcast for far too long. Successful idea for a show but I think it's best left in the past.

Reactions: 12
They killed it off when they starting putting z-listers and social media people in the civilian version. I remember the year they had so many people from ex on the beach, it was just terrrible.

I do kind of wish the celeb version was still on as that was so good! My favourite year was definitely when David Guest was on.

Reactions: 11
Not bothered about the civilian one, but I really really really miss celeb BB. I’d watch the normal one if it meant I got celeb bb back!

I'd love for Celebrity Big Brother to come back. As long as they didn't just sign crap American models and friends of celebrities. I know they aren't ever going to sign A-listers but there has to be a certain standard of celebrity.

But it is always great to watch a mismatched bunch of celebs shoved together in a house and having to function together.

Reactions: 6
I always said a celeb big brother would have been great lockdown viewing. It should have been mandated 😀

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I always said a celeb big brother would have been great lockdown viewing. It should have been mandated 😀
Would've been great. And could easily have been Covid secure, with a test and isolate before going in. You wouldn't even know it was made in Covid times. That's why I liked The Wheel on BBC1, a Covid era show that doesn't look like they are having to practice Covid protocols.

Didn't help there was no Big Brother House set at Elstree anymore after it was taken down when the C5 contract ended.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I wouldn't mind a Celebrity one my favourite was the one with Pete Burns and George Osbourne especially when he pretended to be a cat. The civilian one was past its sell by date and was just a breeding ground for empty headed z listers and we don't need any more of them.

The early series were fantastic when it was more of a social experiment and less of a ‘Love Island’ type shite. It was ruined when they started putting in all these social media wanna-bees who didn’t behave genuinely. It would only work if they did it authentically.

I would love to see it return but totally back to basics. No reality star wannabees - get out there and audition people from everyday backgrounds with strong personalities. Let them have to be self sufficient and work hard in the tasks for rewards.
Honestly, I'm not sure how authentic it could really be in this current climate though, as people would be constantly aware of the fear of causing offence. Even someone scratching their arse would probably generate 1000 complaints to ofcom!

No 😭 People too wise to it now. Perfect reality TV in its purest form is incredible and it was perfect. There was even a point when Love Island people were fairly innocent and not expecting much money grabbing at the other side. Now though these things are basically like watching one big Instagram live!

Reactions: 2