Sex And The City & And Just Like That #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What a load of bollocks, sorry but unless youā€™ve shown sheā€™s Jewish then sheā€™s not a Jewish character and itā€™s not representation is it, itā€™s like when JKR tried to shoehorn in diversity into the books by pretending Dumbledore was gay - they never discussed his (or any teacherā€™s!) personal life so how could you ever have picked that up?! Itā€™s fanfic!
Yeah, also, some things aren't that deep. lol

Can we go back to slagging off the masturbation scene šŸ˜…šŸ˜‚
Nah, I'm blocking that out thanks!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I wasnā€™t thinking about any of this until someone said a Jewish woman, an Irish woman and a WASP walked into a bar ā€¦..

Reactions: 2
Iā€™m sure in The Simpsons there was a Jewish character who said ā€œ my people do not do manual workā€ šŸ˜

• Haha
Reactions: 1
a) Darren Star said he drew on Jewish themes in portraying Carrie. Thatā€™s cut and dry.

b) Blue collar implies you get beers at the end of the week after pay day. American Jewish families are not like that.
Ummm....What?!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I wasnā€™t thinking about any of this until someone said a Jewish woman, an Irish woman and a WASP walked into a bar ā€¦..
Me šŸ‘‹ I was responding to something about the show being woke. Every white woman can recognize bits and pieces of herself in these characters. As can women of color. The problem is that white women are not being given an opportunity to see women of color with as much nuance. The show centered around four white women, now three. They wrote a saga for Sam in her absence. They could have written in a new character to the group. But they didnā€™t. I was looking forward to AJLT to see if they improved from the original series.

Iā€™m enjoying it, it wasnā€™t a criticism

Although not sure about the working classes and the pub on pay day.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
a) Darren Star said he drew on Jewish themes in portraying Carrie. Thatā€™s cut and dry.

b) Blue collar implies you get beers at the end of the week after pay day. American Jewish families are not like that.
I donā€™t know enough about class in the US to comment on that, but assuming no one believes all WC people in the UK go for a beer after work? Obvs there will be intersections in class & race and the black British WC experience will differ fromā€¦ a second gen Irishā€™s WC experience or any other combo but I wouldnā€™t want to put a broad brush stroke and say all of them go to the pub after work cos thatā€™s never going to be true?

Reactions: 5
I donā€™t know enough about class in the US to comment on that, but assuming no one believes all WC people in the UK go for a beer after work? Obvs there will be intersections in class & race and the black British WC experience will differ fromā€¦ a second gen Irishā€™s WC experience or any other combo but I wouldnā€™t want to put a broad brush stroke and say all of them go to the pub after work cos thatā€™s never going to be true?
I'm more shocked by the claim that Jews don't go out for beers on a Friday. Except the very religious who observe the Sabbath, all the Jews I know do this at least sometimes, regardless of class. Even Jews I know who have Shabbat dinner go out afterwards...

Reactions: 3
The US and UK pub cultures are different. The focus is on how Sam was raised: she likely came from the world that Bruce Springsteen sings about. Itā€™s desperate and drinking is the only escape.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.