Serious needle phobia

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I need some positive stories, and people to make it all ok.

I am coming up 6 weeks pregnant (2nd baby) and know over the next 6 weeks I will be having a flu jab (terrified) and a couple of blood tests.

I literally am shittting myself, it's so silly I know, I mean I've given birth before and here is me worrying about needles!

I am so so so grateful to be pregnant again and the first 12 weeks (well and the rest tbh) I'm a right worry bag anyway, but I'm trying my best to be positive. But I just need a kick up the bum about these needles. Lol. Help me ladies (and gents)

Hi sorry I have no experience personally but one of my closest friends has a serious needle phobia.
She wants to start a family and decided she needed to do something about it.
She had hypnotherapy and it hasn’t cured her but she now will willingly have blood tests, etc whereas before she literally would avoid it and wouldn’t even attend an appointment for fear of needing one! X

Reactions: 2
I have needle phobia. My mum’s a nurse so don’t know what happened with me 😂 I’ve just briefed the Midwife/doctor etc beforehand and said don’t talk to me about it or let me see anything. They’ve been really understanding (I’ve had 2 babies!) x

Reactions: 2
Firstly congratulations!
Could you ask to lay down and for the anaesthetic cream for any jabs or blood that needs taking?
When I'm getting really anxious about things, I try and calm my breathing and then distraction by thinking of 5 things I can hear, 4 things I can see,3 things I can touch/feel, 2 things I can smell, 1 thing I can taste. Somehow this works, but perhaps miss out the things you can feel/touch, or that might refocus you on the jabs.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I need some positive stories, and people to make it all ok.

I am coming up 6 weeks pregnant (2nd baby) and know over the next 6 weeks I will be having a flu jab (terrified) and a couple of blood tests.

I literally am shittting myself, it's so silly I know, I mean I've given birth before and here is me worrying about needles!

I am so so so grateful to be pregnant again and the first 12 weeks (well and the rest tbh) I'm a right worry bag anyway, but I'm trying my best to be positive. But I just need a kick up the bum about these needles. Lol. Help me ladies (and gents)
I don't mind injections but getting blood taken is another story. I have small veins so nurses always struggle to find them. I find that making sure I am hydrated helps and I always tell them I am nervous. I am not sure if this is possible in the UK but when I get blood taken I ask for a butterfly needle (kid's one), it is smaller and I find not as bad as the bigger ones.

Also, the hospital near where we live has a walk-in clinic where you can get blood taken. They are really quick, almost painless and know what they are doing. I find them better than going to one of the blood test centers. Here, we don't get blood taken at our doctors, we have to go to the lab...so I don't know if that is possible in the UK.

Also, I am not sure if you can take this as you are pregnant, but my doctor has given me anti-anxiety tablets before, normally an Ativan which takes the edge off.

Congratulations!

I also have quite a bad phobia. It’s nowhere near as bad as it used to be and I managed last year to have my first blood test in 10 years! (I refused previous ones because I was so terrified).

I found that having my partner come with me was a big help. He wouldn’t let me escape 😂 he held my hand through it all. I wouldn’t have gone without him there..

I go to my local walk in centre that has a blood department. They know what they’re doing, they do it all day every day. I had a lovely lady who sang badly along to the radio throughout. It was over and done with before I knew it. Not going to lie, it wasn’t pleasant, it did hurt/sting, but it didn’t take long and it wasn’t awful. I told her I was nervous and she said there was nothing to be worried about. There really wasn’t.

Plan a nice treat afterwards as a reward. I think we went for a McDonald’s afterwards.. something to get your blood sugars up.

My mum has had hypnotherapy for it in the past when she was pregnant with my brother and she said that helped her temporarily.

Good luck, you will be fine! :)

Congratulations, I hope your pregnancy is going well.
I don’t have advice on a phobia of needles but I always use a distraction technique when I have bloods taken/visit the dentist.
It is always hard to locate my veins and I need regular blood tests so I explain this to the nurse/Dr.
I will listen to music I love/something calming through headphones while bloods are carried out.
Try to book a time when waiting time is minimal and explain why.
Good luck, once you’ve done it...remember that feeling of achievement and use that to know you can do it again.

Take someone with you,
I had one a few months ago, I really didn’t want it.
My friend knew I had a phobia I even told the surgery so they gave me a longer appointment.
I was fine to start with, talkin to my friend snuggled into her (lol) and The words I dreaded I can’t get any bloody got to try the other other arm freaked me out so much I started to panic and cryin “ no you can’t you can’t I want my mum” (I’m 36 lol) they got me up to put me on the bed and the next thing o knew I was on the floor! The nurse was gettin arsey with me n my friend was telling. Her she is phobic she asked for a longer appoinent for this reason! Another nurse come in with a fan. And the nurse wanted me to book another appointment and my friend said no do it now whilst she is out of it on the floor! And I was fine well not fine but better! I was so relaxed! I could of stayed there for ages! The nurse had never seen anything like it! I had gone a nice shade of white/grey! The worst 30 mins of my life lol
sorry I’ve got got advice. But your not alone! I’d recommend Laying on the floor but don’t think they are actually allowed to do so!

I completely understand. I got to the grand age of 31 without having to have a blood test. I was a complete wreck. I'd been diagnosed with an eye issue but they wanted a blood test to see if there was anything that had caused it. It was a double whammy as I hate anything eye related so was already on edge from that aspect and all of a sudden they wanted blood from my arm too. I went to the drop in and I was so nervous when I got in the chair I was shaking. Luckily there two nurses as one was training. The trainee just kept talking to me even though I ended up sobbing throughout. But by the end I just felt so stupid for being such a mess as it was far worse in my head than the reality!

I then fell pregnant a month later! So more blood tests and vaccinations. One blood test I had to have three times because they kept messing up the timing. I found the best strategy was to say up front that I hated needles and then turn my head fully away so there wasn't a chance of seeing anything. Every person taking my blood completely understood and was very kind. I found the actual blood drop in place the best - they are such pros and one woman was so quick and gentle I honestly didn't feel a thing!

Hope all goes well for you in pregnancy- you can do this!