Separating from partner.. applying for council housing

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As the title suggests, I’ve decided to leave my partner who is emotionally abusive and the gas lighting is unbearable.

I am having to stay in his house until I can get a property of my own which isn’t ideal but works for the time being (kids schools and support network etc)

Ive looked into privately renting but I wouldn’t be able to afford it on my wage and with my outgoings, so I’ve applied for council housing but the whole thing has fried my brain. Could anyone explain the process in dummies terms?

Im also aware that it will probably be a long wait, my mum has said that we can go there if needs be but she doesn’t really have to space.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hello 👋🏽 Sorry to hear about your circumstances, always a tough decision to leave.

I work in social housing, and it’s dependent on the local authority you live in for various factors (rehousing rules, priority banding, demand and supply). What local authority do you live in? If you don’t feel comfortable answering in the forum, send me a message xx

You will he waiting years for a council house! If you go private you can have a percentage of your rent paid for if you're on benefits or on a low income!

You need to establish what band of priority you fall in and this will give you and idea of how long the wait is. I will say some boroughs are 5 years plus.

I would get into the benefits office and find out what you will be entitled to and this will give you and idea of what private rent you can afford. They will also be able to advise on the process and what to do next.

If he is abusive emotionally you could look at a refuge as a stop gap.

Well done for making the decision to leave. Depending on the council it can be years to be rehoused, but other areas are a lot less. I would try and speak with your local housing department for advise and see what they can offer, a refuge could be an option as well so maybe speak to women’s aid.