Scotland: Best places to visit!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello, hello!

Hope everyone's well.

My and my husband have been thinking about a trip up to Scotland for a while now. We won't be going any time soon due to obvious current reasons but really want to have some fun planning our escape. In my head, it's a bit of a scoping exercise as we're both quite keen on moving somewhere that allows us to have an amazing outdoors-y life and I've spent many hours gooey eyed over images of Scotland and some amazing properties 💖 💭

So! I'm looking for any recommendations from you lovely lot. I've been to Edinburgh as I lived in Durham so would hop on a train for a visit. Outside of that, I'm open to any suggestions!

We both really love the coast and are quite into physical pursuits (oo er!) so anywhere that would combine this would be great. We're trying to plan for 5days to a week's break.

Can't wait to see what you suggest!

I’ve never visited but always fancied the cairngorms. Also Loch Ness, Fingals cave, and the Shetland Islamds when they have their up hella aa festival.

Reactions: 2
I’ve never visited but always fancied the cairngorms. Also Loch Ness, Fingals cave, and the Shetland Islamds when they have their up hella aa festival.
Oh yes! The festival would be amazing to see. Good ideas.

I think I just want to visit everywhere but you (as in, me!) do forget just how big it is so it's not quite as easy as just 'popping' here and there all at once 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I am from Scotland. The Highlands are beautiful: Inverness and the surrounding area, including Brodie and Cawdor for the castles and grounds. Loch Ness. Culloden Battlefield. Glenfinnan Viaduct.
Aberdeen is nice too, love going to Banchory for lunch then going to Balmoral Castle. Check out Footdee too, it is quite cool. Stonehaven is nice.
Have you been to St Andrews? There is a lot to see there.
Glasgow has a lot of good things to see and nice areas too. The Charles Rennie Mackintosh tea room. Kelvingrove Park is nice.

One of my regrets before moving overseas is not getting up to Skye and the islands. They look beautiful. I really want to go to the fairy pools in Skye.

• Heart
I am from Scotland. The Highlands are beautiful: Inverness and the surrounding area, including Brodie and Cawdor for the castles and grounds. Loch Ness. Culloden Battlefield. Glenfinnan Viaduct.
Aberdeen is nice too, love going to Banchory for lunch then going to Balmoral Castle. Check out Footdee too, it is quite cool. Stonehaven is nice.
Have you been to St Andrews? There is a lot to see there.
Glasgow has a lot of good things to see and nice areas too. The Charles Rennie Mackintosh tea room. Kelvingrove Park is nice.

One of my regrets before moving overseas is not getting up to Skye and the islands. They look beautiful. I really want to go to the fairy pools in Skye.
The fairy pools look just amazing! 😱😱 I never even knew they existed.

The Highlands are definitely something we're going to have to explore.

I did have a friend in Troon so have thought about going up Glasgow way. It's funny how where you're from kind of influences where you go. I'm a north east/ east midlands/ east of England/ eastern European girl (everywhere I've lived has been east!) and now south east Wales so I'm always looking to the east of countries!!! Must look west.

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I'm copying them all down and will be googling away.

I’m from Scotland and would definitely recommend going to some of the islands Skye, Arran, Mull, Lewis and Islay are all beautiful And have really good transport links to the mainland. Were you thinking of hiring and camper van and touring or would you just go to the one place?

I agree the islands are beautiful. Amongst others, i've been to the isles of Mull and Lewis and they are exceptional

I’m from Scotland and would definitely recommend going to some of the islands Skye, Arran, Mull, Lewis and Islay are all beautiful And have really good transport links to the mainland. Were you thinking of hiring and camper van and touring or would you just go to the one place?
Hey! Ah, fab. I'm open to hiring a van and touring round. We want enough time to do things (like walks etc.) but touring round might be a good idea.

I think we may have to treat our first trip up as a proper holiday then have a think about where to relocate to if we do decide to move up. So exciting! Thank you for the suggestions ☺

I agree the islands are beautiful. Amongst others, i've been to the isles of Mull and Lewis and they are exceptional
All added to the list! I'm definitely looking for somewhere to go and just 'be' and enjoy being outside so these look perfect 👍🏻💖

• Heart
I live on the coast in Aberdeenshire and our favourite place to visit as a family is Loch Tay, it's beautiful. We've stayed in Killin and Kenmore many times and at a few properties on the north side of the loch. Lots to do around that area, watersports, boat trips, walks, cycling, we love it :)

Oh and Arran over on the west coast is also great! We went a few years ago and have booked to go again next July :love:

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I live on the coast in Aberdeenshire and our favourite place to visit as a family is Loch Tay, it's beautiful. We've stayed in Killin and Kenmore many times and at a few properties on the north side of the loch. Lots to do around that area, watersports, boat trips, walks, cycling, we love it :)

Oh and Arran over on the west coast is also great! We went a few years ago and have booked to go again next July :love:
Hi!
Living on the coast sounds an absolute dream. We used to live on the channel but it's nowhere near the same! Would you recommend Aberdeenshire as somewhere to live?

All those activities sound right up our street so I'll definitely be adding those to the list. Going to need some serious overtime to fit these all in!

Arran seems to be getting quite a few votes. It does look spectacular. And must be good if you're planning to return!

Thanks so much 💖💖

I've been on holiday to Barra, Harris and Lewis and the Cairngorms, all beautiful. The beaches up there are as good as Barbados but the water is freezing so take a wetsuit if you want to do a spot of swimming. Also you need to be able to drive because public transport is not like a city person knows it. Its like 3 buses a day etc in some places.
I wouldn't camp in a tent either, when I was on Harris the storms were that bad you would have been blown away and never seen again. Caravans had to be strapped down otherwise they went 10 feet in the air. Straight up like a balloon.

Hi!
Living on the coast sounds an absolute dream. We used to live on the channel but it's nowhere near the same! Would you recommend Aberdeenshire as somewhere to live?

All those activities sound right up our street so I'll definitely be adding those to the list. Going to need some serious overtime to fit these all in!

Arran seems to be getting quite a few votes. It does look spectacular. And must be good if you're planning to return!

Thanks so much 💖💖
I love living in Aberdeenshire, it's the best of both worlds, close to the sea but we also have the Cairngorms on our doorstep. Not sure if you're into hill climbing but our closest munro (Mount Keen) is less than 40 mins away from our house :)

Happy to provide a few links to places we've stayed at around Loch Tay if you'd like to look into it further!

I've been on holiday to Barra, Harris and Lewis and the Cairngorms, all beautiful. The beaches up there are as good as Barbados but the water is freezing so take a wetsuit if you want to do a spot of swimming. Also you need to be able to drive because public transport is not like a city person knows it. Its like 3 buses a day etc in some places.
I wouldn't camp in a tent either, when I was on Harris the storms were that bad you would have been blown away and never seen again. Caravans had to be strapped down otherwise they went 10 feet in the air. Straight up like a balloon.
Hahaha. Well, there's an image!! Crikey. Thank you for the advice!

Having relied on public transport to get me round when living in mid and North Wales I can 100% appreciate the 3 bus scenario. Probably best to drive as I'd rather not spend another holiday trying to decipher bus timetables (Snowdonia, I'm looking at you!).

I'm screenshotting everyone's suggestions so building quite a list! Brilliant to hear everyone having such good memories and positive things to say. Thank you!👍🏻👍🏻

I love living in Aberdeenshire, it's the best of both worlds, close to the sea but we also have the Cairngorms on our doorstep. Not sure if you're into hill climbing but our closest munro (Mount Keen) is less than 40 mins away from our house :)

Happy to provide a few links to places we've stayed at around Loch Tay if you'd like to look into it further!
Fantastic! Really does sound like the best of both worlds. Living in the NE of England was amazing as there is such a variety of landscape but I was too young to get myself round. Now, as an adult, I really appreciate those options. Love hill climbing- we've got loads round by us so that's right up my street. I am a water baby at heart, though, so having easy access to the coast would be a dream.

That would be amazing- thank you! No rush- but would be fab. Thanks!! 🥰🥰

Last edited:
I’m from Scotland and I heartily agree with the recommendations on this thread.

Arran is absolutely spectacular, it truly is. It’a marketed in tourist literature as “Scotland in miniature” but it actually is. Lovely sail over and loads to see and do. Brodick Castle is gorgeous and the gardens there are beautiful. If you’re into hiking / climbing there is Goatfel mountain. There is a lovely camp site in Lochranza where roe deer roam freely through the campsite (they have glamping pods- book out quite quickly though)

If you’re coming to Scotland during the summer just expect and prepare for midges; they are hell beasts from the deep. Itchy isn’teven the word but it’s worth it!

Hahah! Have you ever seen that video that went viral a few years back of a young lad trying to shut work van door during a storm on the Western Isles? 😂😂 It’s amazing. Yes, Western Isles are gorgeous but I wouldn’t camp there!!

The video of the guy trying to shut his door can be found here (sorry it’s aDaily Record link 🙈🙈)

Last edited:
Fantastic! Really does sound like the best of both worlds. Living in the NE of England was amazing as there is such a variety of landscape but I was too young to get myself round. Now, as an adult, I really appreciate those options. Love hill climbing- we've got loads round by us so that's right up my street. I am a water baby at heart, though, so having easy access to the coast would be a dream.

That would be amazing- thank you! No rush- but would be fab. Thanks!! 🥰🥰
No probs! Here's 3 of the places we've stayed at around Loch Tay

And here is where we stayed in Arran (we've booked the same place for next summer)

North West Highlands 100% - wild, rugged, beautiful.
cracking beaches and wildlife. Fly into Inverness, hire a car and go west!!!!! 😉

Reactions: 3
I’m a Glaswegian so obviously Glasgow is hands down the best city for me - so much to see and do and the people are so friendly (if I do say so myself!) and very close to Loch Lomond/Trossachs National Park.
I don’t actually live in Glasgow anymore though - I live in Aberdeenshire and I adore it! The quality of life is amazing, especially if you’re outdoorsy - for example in the last week I’ve been mountain biking, wild swimming in a river and paddle boarding on a loch. Such a mix and it’s just beautiful! I stay on Deeside which is beautiful! We’re about 1.5 hours from the Moray coast too which I love (white sand beaches & dolphins!) - my favourites are Findhorn and Cullen 💜
As a child we always went on holidays on the west coast - particularly Plockton and Mallaig and have a soft spot for there but the midges can be horrific!

We had a little road trip when we went to a wedding at Crear, Kilberry. It's up the west so we went to Gretna green, Loch Lomond and Loch Fyne .

Well, what a wonderful array of messages to wake up to!

Thanks so much, everyone. Appreciate it so much. I can see we're going to have to have quite a few trips up! And looks like Aberdeenshire might be winning in the 'scoping for a new home' stakes.

I'm thinking Isle of Arran for our first venture up. That hotel looks spectacular! Eeek! So excited.

Oh, yes. Midges. I'll make sure to stock up on my Avon oh so soft 😂

Love that video 😂 my husband just asked would he need to tie himself down as hopefully he weighs less than a caravan. I thought it probably wasn't the best time to bring up the lockdown weight gain...👀👀

Thanks again, everyone. I'm genuinely so excited. And if we do end up Aberdeenshire way, there's a cup of coffee and a Welsh cake waiting for you all 💖💖

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I'm from Scotland and have travelled around quite a bit of it :)

I would definitely recommend The West Coast. Fort William, Oban, Tarbert, Mallaig, Glenfinnian etc. If you are into Harry Potter then you can see the railway line where the film was filmed.

My partner and I are not long back from Aberfeldy, where we did Loch Tay, Kenmore, Killin, Pitlochry etc. Truly stunning down that way.

Aberdeenshire is beautiful, loads of castles and lovely places to stop off.

The Highlands as well, Isle of Skye, Isle of Arran, Isle of Harris.