School memories from the 80’s/90’s.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
At primary school in the mid-late 1990s we were supervised to make sure we ate the expected contents of our lunchbox, a sandwich before any crisps/sweets etc. They're not allowed the Wotsits and Wagon Wheels these days, reportedly some schools also teach kids that bread is bad and encourage them to bring in salads, rice or curry etc rather than sandwiches

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Yes to the Beatles songs 🤣 I've already commented but my school never sang traditional hymns we just had this really petite over animated, "floating teacher" with a princess Di haircut, who was also a pianist and quite clearly a Beatles fan. We also had to sing Michael Jackson, Kylie Minogue, Supremes, Phil Collins numbers. There were many others. Sometimes the songs had very corny adaptations to the lyrics where our schools name was included somewhere, in hindsight, put entirely out of context.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Yes to the Beatles songs 🤣 I've already commented but my school never sang traditional hymns we just had this really petite over animated, "floating teacher" with a princess Di haircut, who was also a pianist and quite clearly a Beatles fan. We also had to sing Michael Jackson, Kylie Minogue, Supremes, Phil Collins numbers. There were many others. Sometimes the songs had very corny adaptations to the lyrics where our schools name was included somewhere, in hindsight, put entirely out of context.
That is hilarious! we never had anything but hymns, but we (I went to a Catholic primary) had loads of them that seemed to have actions, like clapping, various hand gestures etc (I cannot remember any specifics) did anyone else do this?

Reactions: 4
That is hilarious! we never had anything but hymns, but we (I went to a Catholic primary) had loads of them that seemed to have actions, like clapping, various hand gestures etc (I cannot remember any specifics) did anyone else do this?
The Wise Man Built his House upon the Rocks had lots of hand actions. The songs I sang at Sunday School, like Father Abraham, had lots of actions too.

Reactions: 3
I was born in 1982 and went to a separate infant and junior school. Same village, but two completely different schools down the road from each other with different head teachers. In Infant school we didn’t have a Uniform at all, so my mum would buy me different coloured gingham dresses for summer, and lots of different coloured cardigans. I had a blue one, a pink one, a green one and a yellow one. Then we went up to the Juniors and suddenly we had to wear a strict, very grey uniform. It was weird really. Don’t know if this was the same anywhere else?
My infant and juniors was two sept schools (this was in the ‘80s) but we didn’t have a uniform at either

Reactions: 1
Oh my god i forgot about the adapted lyrics, we had that too! Like Rod Stewart "We are sailing" we used to sing the first few lines as normal then a bit about sailing to "insert home town name" to be near you, to be free. I thought that was the actual words and it had been written about my town til i was about 15!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Did anyone else get one of these? The teachers told us it would be very important in our future & never to throw it away 😂 I’ve never used mine since I put my GCSE results in it
Ive still got mine 😂😂

Did anyone else get one of these? The teachers told us it would be very important in our future & never to throw it away 😂 I’ve never used mine since I put my GCSE results in it
Hahahahaha I binned mine recently! Nobody has ever asked to see it in 14 years 🤣

Anyone remember when some touring library would come and you could buy books after school ?

• Haha
Not strictly school related but Playdays❤ Also would recommend the bbc archive Facebook page for some nostalgia, they’re always posting random old Blue Peter clips and what not.
View attachment 278397
I remember taking my kids to a techniquest place near where i live and play days were there filming I remember seeing the woman with her hand shoved up why bird and i was pure crying she destroyed my dreams.i as a child thought why bird was an actual talking bird (the inner child in me loved her) my mum and my daughters laughed

Ha! Yes, you had to comb your hair 20 times (or similar) in the mirror then run around flicking all the lights off, then stand there in the dark and say 'Bloody Mary' three times. Nothing every happened (obviously) but it used to scare the crap out of me. I still can't look in a mirror in the dark now!
I tried it once and i rememeber the electric going the whole street had a power cut 😂 never done it since oh no,no way

• Haha
1. Roger Red Hat in the village with 3 corners
2. Country dancing and the maypole
3. The toilets were haunted
4. Wiping your arse with baking paper
5. Dreading needing a poo (see 3. & 4.)
6. Geordie Racer
7. Being ill and discovering Neighbours
8. Pretending to be ill so you could watch Neighbours
9. The Mary Rose
10. Tim and Tobias
11. The Adventure Game
12. Trev & Simon (We don’t do duvets)
13. Come and Praise (Jet Planes-Tuuune)
14. Tottenham Cake

Hahahahaha I binned mine recently! Nobody has ever asked to see it in 14 years 🤣

Anyone remember when some touring library would come and you could buy books after school ?
It still comes to my sons school.

Getting a day off school watching neighbours followed by going for gold and then switching over to itv and watching the young doctors or a country practice.

• Heart
I remember when Neighbours first came on TV and it was the most exciting thing ever - the oldies had Coronation Street; now us teens had something to look forward to. Punishment for doing something usually resulted in Neighbours viewing privileges being removed for a week or two which seemed like the worst thing ever.

I also remember watching Grange Hill and panicking that that's what college (/ secondary school) would be like! Haha ... was nothing like it (here in NZ).