Scariest TV shows or films you’ve ever seen

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The woman in black -I think is a 12 but it scared the tit out of me 😂 I’d seen the play which is also terrifying.
there was a show a few years ago (I think Whitechapel but it might not have been) where a couple are lying in bed and the killer comes through the ceiling?! That was awful too

Reactions: 16
I think a lot of episodes of Luther actually have nightmare fuel material in them:-

The guy slithering out from under the bed
The same guy hiding up the loft and floor boards all creaking
The entire Spring Heel Jack episodes were pretty creepy. That mask 😭

The absolute worst from the most recent series: the guy on the night bus.

duck ME 😭🤮

Reactions: 20
Watched Poltergeist aged 11. Gave me nightmares for years. The bloody clown coming from under the bed.
Oh and Hellraiser! Pinhead scared the tit out of me.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I think a lot of episodes of Luther actually have nightmare fuel material in them:-

The guy slithering out from under the bed
The same guy hiding up the loft and floor boards all creaking
The entire Spring Heel Jack episodes were pretty creepy. That mask 😭

The absolute worst from the most recent series: the guy on the night bus.

duck ME 😭🤮
Yes! Luther is brilliant. The killers are very next door neighbour type people too.

THE EXORCIST! I watched at the age of ten when I was being looked after by one of my big sisters. Had no idea what I was watching until it was over, but I struggled to sleep for weeks.

Reactions: 2
Classic here, full length

You can't go wrong with kids for a good scare. Kids and Nuns.

I quite enjoyed The Haunting of Bly Manor '. (They're both based on the The Turn of the Screw).

Another classic that hasn't been bettered IMO is 'The Haunting' 1963.

Reactions: 6
Salem’s lot. Gave me the heeby jeebies. My then boyfriend had to stay awake until I fell asleep. I was 19 at the time and had watched many a horror film up to that point, but for some reason this one got to me 😥

You can't go wrong with kids for a good scare. Kids and Nuns.

I quite enjoyed The Haunting of Bly Manor '. (They're both based on the The Turn of the Screw).

Another classic that hasn't been bettered IMO is 'The Haunting' 1963.
Legend of Hill House 1973
The Haunting 1963
Dracula 1931

And more lighthearted, The Raven 1963 full movie

I love the old classics :)

Reactions: 4
Watched Poltergeist aged 11. Gave me nightmares for years. The bloody clown coming from under the bed.
Oh and Hellraiser! Pinhead scared the tit out of me.

Poltergeist! I saw it as a kid as well. That clown doll sneaking up on the little girl was legitimately terrifying. The tree coming through the window scared me for years

The Exorcist - seen it once, brilliant film, but never watching it again

The Omen (the old one) - when he's creeping around the house at the end trying to kidnap Damien. The graveyard with the jackals

Salem's Lot - James Mason slinking around and putting kids in binbags for his vampire master to nom on later. The coffin moving up the van

The Box of Delights - no one seems to remember this one, it's this amazing surreal 1980s BBC kid's serial, but it has some really creepy moments.

Ring / Ringu - have mercy I'm never watching those again

The Soft Mints advert from the early 1990s where everything in the world is sort of lumpy and soft and pillow shaped and the postbox laughs manically as Mr Soft strides past in his horrible pillow world way, drawling 'Mrrrrr Soffttttt' like he's just had a stroke. It freaked me out so much as kid I refused go near postboxes for a while 🤣🤣

Edit: right you can all share my pain, I've found that bloody Mr Soft advert and it's just as creepy as I remember:

Mr Softttttt

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Hollow Man.
One hour photo
Pacific Heights

All absolutely terrifying!

The Box of Delights - no one seems to remember this one, it's this amazing surreal 1980s BBC kid's serial, but it has some really creepy moments.
I loved The Box of Delights. There’s the odd episode/clip on YouTube. I was super disappointed when I read the book and the show turned out to be an adaptation of two books. I couldn’t make head nor tail of it as a nipper.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Poltergeist! I saw it as a kid as well. That clown doll sneaking up on the little girl was legitimately terrifying. The tree coming through the window scared me for years

The Exorcist - seen it once, brilliant film, but never watching it again

The Omen (the old one) - when he's creeping around the house at the end trying to kidnap Damien. The graveyard with the jackals

Salem's Lot - James Mason slinking around and putting kids in binbags for his vampire master to nom on later. The coffin moving up the van

Ring / Ringu - have mercy I'm never watching those again

The Soft Mints advert from the early 1990s where everything in the world is sort of lumpy and soft and pillow shaped and the postbox laughs manically as Mr Soft strides past in his horrible pillow world way, drawling 'Mrrrrr Soffttttt' like he's just had a stroke. It freaked me out so much as kid I refused go near postboxes for a while 🤣🤣

Edit: right you can all share my pain, I've found that bloody Mr Soft advert and it's just as creepy as I remember:

Mr Softttttt
Your post really made me laugh. I misread Ringu as Pingu and thought WTF? 🤣😂

And I’m not clicking the video but I too remember that advert and didn’t like it. The one that used to scare me were those skeletons that used to talk and looked creepy, can’t remember what it was for, and also the Scottish Widow lady as I thought she was a witch lol.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7

And I’m not clicking the video but I too remember that advert and didn’t like it. The one that used to scare me were those skeletons that used to talk and looked creepy, can’t remember what it was for, and also the Scottish Widow lady as I thought she was a witch lol.
🤣I hated Pingu as well to be fair. And why was the dad always ironing?? THEY DON'T WEAR ANY CLOTHES

Not sure about the skeleton one, that sounds right traumatising though. Made me think of that hideous pylon advert for some reason! Where they all come alive and march through the countryside, terrorising children looking through their windows. Nightmare fuel. What was wrong with people in the 80s

Agree on Scottish Widows. She always looked a bit too smug, didn't she. It's that billowing black cloak and knowing half smile to camera at the end. You too can get a massive life insurance payout if your husband suddenly, tragically, inexplicably dies while walking on this very high up, isolated Scottish cliffside! Free red lipstick and dotty hat veil with every purchase. Hmmm.

• Haha
Reactions: 9

Scotch video tapes advert?

The creepiest advert ever has to be The Judderman!

• Heart
Salem's Lot by a mile. I think because it was made for TV (and had nice David Soul from Starsky and Hutch) it made me think when I was young it would be fine.
It was terrifying.
Never seen it since so I've no idea how scary I would find it now.

Reactions: 3
Films:

Fire Walk With Me: I found it creepy and unsettling.

Eden Lake: Not a typical horror film but felt so REAL that it was genuinely horrifying.

Hostel: Not so much scary but disgustingly gross.

TV:

Twin Peaks: The typical scariest parts were bad enough but even just the shots with the long pauses where nobody says or does anything creeps me out.

Are you Afraid of the Dark?: Not scary now but as a child - TERRIFYING! 😱😭
Eden Lake was so disturbing, really unsettled me!

Another very disturbing film is The Great Ecstasy of Robert Carmichael. Wish I’d never watched it, very uncomfortable viewing

The thing about Ghostwatch was that they trailed it for days on the BBC, including on kids shows like Going Live, so everyone who watched it went into it thinking it was going to be some mildly scary Halloween thing. It was presented by a respected broadcaster in Michael Parkinson, the reporter at the house was Sarah Green, kids TV presenter. Craig Charles was on it too. It was all set up to be a suitable, legitimate BBC broadcast.

We weren't expecting the sights or the sounds we saw, nor did we expect to see much-loved TV presenters being 'posessed'. It was the whole build up to it. To an adult now, it probably seems tame, but there's an entire generation of kids who were tit-scared of it, and rightly so. The BBC were irresponsible in their billing of the show. There was a 10 year ban on it being repeated, and I don't think they ever have, but its on YouTube. I think you probably had to be there at the time to get the full effect. I've seen brief clips of it since, and I still don't understand how they thought it wouldn't cause a problem with children.

Sinister is one of the few horror films I have actually watched in recent years, yet I hardly see it mentioned for some reason. I agree, very creepy. Good film too, a cut above the usual stuff from the genre.
Ghostwatch scared the tit out of me! Remember being unable to sleep because I was trembling so much and thinking I could hear a cat!

Reactions: 1
I think I was about 8/9, I was upstairs reading Mizz or the like and went downstairs to get a drink

My Dad was only bloody watching a film called Cannibal Holocaust and had fallen asleep so there I was watching a pregnant woman get stoned to death, her baby being delivered while she was standing and it being buried under the sand 🙃 I want to say a man had his Willy chopped off too! I had bunk beds and in the night I was screaming for my Mum and Das convinced these bad people were on the bottom bunk, traumatised me for years! I’m sure it was banned in some countries when it first came out

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 5
Salem's Lot by a mile. I think because it was made for TV (and had nice David Soul from Starsky and Hutch) it made me think when I was young it would be fine.
It was terrifying.
Never seen it since so I've no idea how scary I would find it now.

It's on Amazon Prime. I'm tempted to watch it again as an adult but I don't want to spoil the magic of it being absolutely terrifying !!

• Haha
Reactions: 1