Housebywhitehorns - Sarah Battle

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has to have help!! I’m a first time mom with a little 7 month girl and I struggle!!! Between bottles, meals, naps and play, some days dinner for me and Husband isn’t till 9pm once she is down. Then the clean up starts to have place right for the next day before bed. D love time to go swim each morning!!
Now that’s ‘real life’... 😂

Reactions: 4
I do think she more than likely has help. But I think her taking time out of her day for something she wants to do is to be admired. She is dead right. I work and have kids and probably 4-5 days a week I take 1.5 hours to myself to workout. I have no help. My attitude is no one else is going to carve out time for me.

Reactions: 11
I do think she more than likely has help. But I think her taking time out of her day for something she wants to do is to be admired. She is dead right. I work and have kids and probably 4-5 days a week I take 1.5 hours to myself to workout. I have no help. My attitude is no one else is going to carve out time for me.
Totally agree with you. As a mum of five, she needs it!

Reactions: 3
Totally agree with you. As a mum of five, she needs it!
We all need it. Just finding the time in practical terms is far more challenging. I’m a mother or one working part time, husband works full time and my spare moments when baby is asleep is taken up entirely with cooking, cleaning, laundry etc. When husband is home, grocery shopping. It’s not that easy to find time is what the other poster was saying... unless lots of hidden help, that would take away from the perfect persona she’s selling.

Reactions: 1
There is always time!
Makes me feel like I’m failing seeing others finding their time then. We’ll agree to disagree. There probably is, I’m just all for prioritising laundry or something instead of myself. Also I’ve a reflux/intolerant baby. It’s hard to justify the self care peddled in Instagram when there’s loads of housework in front of your always too when you do get mini to bed for awhile.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
At Ailte, you are far from failing. I’m on the same boat as you. I have the reflux baby too. I stopped following her and any other mother & baby accounts as they are living in some kind of Disney world. Build women up, my big toe.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
There is always time!
There is and there should be. But not to the extent that SB would have you believe.
To all the moms out there...ye are doing a great job. I see the full time care my sister has with her little man ... it’s full on and he is a great baby. But she literally hasn’t time to scratch herself. So Sarah’s representation of the perfect mom life, is nothing short of misrepresentation.

Makes me feel like I’m failing seeing others finding their time then. We’ll agree to disagree. There probably is, I’m just all for prioritising laundry or something instead of myself. Also I’ve a reflux/intolerant baby. It’s hard to justify the self care peddled in Instagram when there’s loads of housework in front of your always too when you do get mini to bed for awhile.
Chin up @Ailte ... you are doing a great job 👏

Last edited:
Ahh tbh I hear you... Yes if she has help, itd def be more transparent if she said it. Ive 4 kids, work full time but there's absolutely NO WAY I could manage without our childminder, like we'd go to hell in a handcart within a week if she ever left us. But despite that, try not to compare yourself tho tobwhatbyou see on Insta, it's a highlight reel and we ceratainly dont getvto see the mountains of laundry shoved behind beds and doors just out of shot. You are being the best mammy to your little one

• Heart
Ahh tbh I hear you... Yes if she has help, itd def be more transparent if she said it. Ive 4 kids, work full time but there's absolutely NO WAY I could manage without our childminder, like we'd go to hell in a handcart within a week if she ever left us. But despite that, try not to compare yourself tho tobwhatbyou see on Insta, it's a highlight reel and we ceratainly dont getvto see the mountains of laundry shoved behind beds and doors just out of shot. You are being the best mammy to your little one
Aw thank you! It does get to me some days! ❤

As a woman and a mother, hearing that some have feelings of inadequacy after looking at the likes of Sarah’s account is heartbreaking and illustrates the problem with accounts such as hers.
Sarah carefully curates a particular image - portraying all manner of things such as whipping up family meals from scratch, regular modelling of new outfits while sporting a full face of make-up, constant shopping, etc, all while juggling the demands of a large family. It’s just not representative of real life in my opinion.
I have 4 children including a set of twins. Myself and my husband work (both from home at present and in very flexible jobs) and it is crazy busy almost every day. Nothing that Sarah posts is in anyway relatable for me, or most families I would imagine.
Of course Sarah is not responsible for any feelings of inadequacy we might have - as these instagrammers often tell us, if you don’t like their content, just unfollow. However, as a woman and a mother of girls in particular, I would hope that she might feel some sense of responsibility for her content and quit with the tagging of her clothes size (daughters see this and are influenced by it) and stop the over consumption of clothes/household accessories/constant unnecessary redecorating/“scaping” (our children will inherit this planet - mass consumerism causes damage to people and places as a result of child labour/slavery, deforestation, pollutants, climate change).

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Aw thank you! It does get to me some days! ❤
Don’t let Sarah’s unrealistic lifestyle fuelled by compulsive purchasing of material items get to you. Her content is fake and contrived. Even this evenings post about a ’wine date in the garden’....would ya come on ta f*ck. These eejits think they are in the real housewives of Beverly Hills.

Great post @Gal4Gals ... so true.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
I am a new user of Instagram - only since lockdown last year but my use has reduced again as life gets back to some degree of normality. For me Instagram was just a form of entertainment and a bit of escapism. Although I find that both are lacking now anyway - there is very little escapism/entertainment in making beds or hearing about a Spotlight toothbrush. However, I noted something a bit more insidious about the accounts I once followed and that I didn’t like. Let me explain....

I occasionally watch Real Housewives (New York, Beverley Hills, etc) - easy, efffortless trash TV. The women in it are very privileged and curate an image, a lifestyle, with the glamour and travel to amazing destinations. They use their position to then promote their own existing businesses or set up new ones, they collaborate, advertise, partner with brands covering fashion, beauty products, wine, and so on. Now I know I will never live in Orange County or marry an older rich entrepreneur and I’m good with that. I’m a realist and I understand that what I am seeing is often scripted, contrived and not something to aspire to. We all understand that in watching those shows what we are seeing is a world away from our real lives.
You see where I am going with this...

There are parallels with the Real Housewives and the digital creators/influencers on Instagram, albeit on a local/parochial/county/provincial level 😉 However, while you are unlikely to compare yourself to Bethenny in NYC, you may be more susceptible to comparing yourself with Sarah down the road in Ballina (or any of the others who go down a similar path or are hoping to follow suit). After all they are just like us in some ways - local women, mams, some with careers outside the home. So you begin to feel inadequate as you perceive that they are all winning at life on the basis of what you see on screen - a nice home, everything tidy, make-up applied, different outfits every day, plenty of disposable income (to spend on frivolous tablescaping accessories - can’t get my head around that one lol), self-care/me time, all while juggling the family demands of sleepless nights/breastfeeding/homework/after school activities. You may buy what they are trying to flog through their brand ambassador roles because on some subconscious level you feel that you need that item so that you too can win at life. That’s the basis of marketing but when the marketing is delivered by ordinary mams/housewives rather than celebrities it is a little more sneaky in its methods. But....

Just like the Real Housewives, the facade must be hard to maintain - behind the scenes there may be money troubles (spending beyond means to keep up appearances), the stress of being on screen (presentable, make up on when you feel like just wearing PJs and have your hair in a scrunchie), sacrificing of your family’s privacy (strangers knowing details about kids, where you live), the use of personal family events as content (weddings, bereavements), and so on.

Everything in life has its time and eventually Instagram will be replaced by something else. But what then for the Insta Mams? I wonder if they will look back and think it was all worth it to give up their families’ privacy for a quick buck? Was it worth it to maybe ruin their credibility should they try to go back into normal employment? Was it worth it to maybe have local people gossip about you and the notions you appear to have?

Don’t let Sarah’s unrealistic lifestyle fuelled by compulsive purchasing of material items get to you. Her content is fake and contrived. Even this evenings post about a ’wine date in the garden’....would ya come on ta f*ck. These eejits think they are in the real housewives of Beverly Hills.

Great post @Gal4Gals ... so true.
SweatyBettyT lol I was just doing a full blown essay comparing to Real Housewives, posted it and then saw your post - our minds think alike!!!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I am a new user of Instagram - only since lockdown last year but my use has reduced again as life gets back to some degree of normality. For me Instagram was just a form of entertainment and a bit of escapism. Although I find that both are lacking now anyway - there is very little escapism/entertainment in making beds or hearing about a Spotlight toothbrush. However, I noted something a bit more insidious about the accounts I once followed and that I didn’t like. Let me explain....

I occasionally watch Real Housewives (New York, Beverley Hills, etc) - easy, efffortless trash TV. The women in it are very privileged and curate an image, a lifestyle, with the glamour and travel to amazing destinations. They use their position to then promote their own existing businesses or set up new ones, they collaborate, advertise, partner with brands covering fashion, beauty products, wine, and so on. Now I know I will never live in Orange County or marry an older rich entrepreneur and I’m good with that. I’m a realist and I understand that what I am seeing is often scripted, contrived and not something to aspire to. We all understand that in watching those shows what we are seeing is a world away from our real lives.

There are parallels with the Real Housewives and the digital creators/influencers on Instagram, albeit on a local/parochial/county/provincial level 😉 However, while you are unlikely to compare yourself to Bethenny in NYC, you may be more susceptible to comparing yourself with Sarah down the road in Ballina (or any of the others who go down a similar path or are hoping to follow suit). After all they are just like us in some ways - local women, mams, some with careers outside the home. So you begin to feel inadequate as you perceive that they are all winning at life on the basis of what you see on screen - a nice home, everything tidy, make-up applied, different outfits every day, plenty of disposable income (to spend on frivolous tablescaping accessories - can’t get my head around that one lol), self-care/me time, all while juggling the family demands of sleepless nights/breastfeeding/homework/after school activities. You may buy what they are trying to flog through their brand ambassador roles because on some subconscious level you feel that you need that item so that you too can win at life. That’s the basis of marketing but when the marketing is delivered by ordinary mams/housewives rather than celebrities it is a little more sneaky in its methods. But....

Just like the Real Housewives, the facade must be hard to maintain - behind the scenes there may be money troubles (spending beyond means to keep up appearances), the stress of being on screen (presentable, make up on when you feel like just wearing PJs and have your hair in a scruhe sacrificing of your family’s privacy (strangers knowing details about kids, where you live), the use of personal family events as content (weddings, bereavements), and so on.

Everything in life has its time and eventually Instagram will be replaced by something else. But what then for the Insta Mams? I wonder if they will look back and think it was all worth it to give up their families’ privacy for a quick buck? Was it worth it to maybe ruin their credibility should they try to go back into normal employment? Was it worth it to maybe have local people gossip about you and the notions you appear to have?

SweatyBettyT lol I was just doing a full blown essay comparing to Real Housewives, posted it and then saw your post - our minds think alike!!!

I really enjoyed reading your post.

And I have to say I agree

Irish Instagram mam world is basically trying to appear relatable whilst selling you spotlight etc via schilling their families lives and making you feel somewhat ‘less’

Comparison is the thief of joy

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Just like the Real Housewives, the facade must be hard to maintain - behind the scenes there may be money troubles (spending beyond means to keep up appearances), the stress of being on screen (presentable, make up on when you feel like just wearing PJs and have your hair in a scrunchie), sacrificing of your family’s privacy (strangers knowing details about kids, where you live), the use of personal family events as content (weddings, bereavements), and so on.

Excellent post 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

I too only joined Instagram at the start of the first lockdown and only because that was how my CrossFit gym community we’re keeping in touch. Then I somehow started to follow these influencers...and I only follow Sarah B., Sabrina, Style Fairy and Ystyle. Its all garbage, it’s all sales and marketing and once we all get back to ‘normal life’ I can’t think we will have the time for their boring content and swipe ups.

Reactions: 5
I too only joined Instagram at the start of the first lockdown and only because that was how my CrossFit gym community we’re keeping in touch. Then I somehow started to follow these influencers...and I only follow Sarah B., Sabrina, Style Fairy and Ystyle. Its all garbage, it’s all sales and marketing and once we all get back to ‘normal life’ I can’t think we will have the time for their boring content and swipe ups.
But why do you follow people if they sicken your hole so much?
ETA not being smart, just genuinely curious..I follow people and comment on them here on tattle when they annoy me, but I generally don’t mind their feed.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.