Sali Hughes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She said she’d never do an #ad and that anything she ever recommended was a ‘true’ recommendation. But, without explanation she’s suddenly started selling tit - in the last month she’s done at least six #ad on her stories and posts, plus a swipe up for Selfridges beauty.

So I guess that means she’s now a bread and butter influencer - what a shame.
(Also:Botox)

Reactions: 3
Or maybe she’s always been doing it but she just started telling us about it ? (disclaimer: I have no idea because I don’t follow her)

I think rules around declaring ads, sponsorships etc have been tightened so they're having to declare them properly now which may make it seem like they're doing more.

Used to admire SH as she has worked hard for her influencer fame but I think she has been soft selling for years. She either tags her new dresses, jumpers etc or only answers questions asking where her clothes are from.
Her massive forehead is looking odd now because the rest of her face is not tight. That is her prerogative. My issue is she sells anti aging products which she swears by but she never admits she has been using botox for years. ( so they don't work that well then)
She has always been upfront about the products she flogs being sent for free.
She is very litigious and was furious with mumsnet a few years ago when calling her out. If she finds this thread she will react with all guns blazing.
Finally her books like all influencer books are tit. A photo of a jar of Vaseline/ ljpstick/nail varnish at al with a paragraph on it being iconic ffs she got paid for that.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I don’t think anyone who uses Botox should be allowed to promote anti aging creams. Kat Farmer promotes creams as the secret to great looking skin yet also eulogises Botox, it’s wrong imo.

Reactions: 4
I pleased you agree. I wrote this on mumsnet and got flamed for it.
SH uses retain a. Anyone who has used retin a soon realises they've wasted a fortune on crap. She is quiet about this but then so are most beauty bloggers.
I've been using retin a for 2 years so I did a bit of research. I discovered essentially beauty bloggers are quiet about using retin a because they can't sell anything to said uses anymore. ( Caroline Hirons and hot and flashy excluded. They are very open about retin a)

Gulster - that’s really interesting and I’d never even made the Retin a connection. I’m even more irritated by her flogging skincare now. Esp. as the things she has been ‘using’ have steadily become more and more expensive - the latest being the pushing of Drunk Elephant.
I used to enjoy her column and was a member of her FB group and forum for years from which I made some good irl friends. I bought both her books, and yes both are terrible, the first one is a duplication of everything she’s said in columns, the 2nd is just her musings on stuff we all still use and/or stopped using cos it’s tit - “ohh look how quaint Matey is”.
She gets on my tits.

I enjoy reading Sali Hughes posts but she’s a saleswomen like the rest of them.

She had a bad reaction to something a few months ago and went to Frances Prenna Jones ( on speed dial like we can all do?). Frances prescribed a wonder cream that dealt with the reaction brilliantly .,Guess how much ? £295 .......for a pot of cream !!

I did do a what the duck face on her IG messages, she couldn’t justify it but she did reply and I should have asked if she paid for that pot of cream but I didn’t..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I used to like her too but that was in the days when she was working hard on her new guardian column and it was good. Then she decided not to do videos anymore ( too much hard work ) as she'd got her feet under the table with a regular column.
So the guardian beauty column become a sales pitch for the latest freebie. When she waxed lyrical about the over priced drunk elephant potions it was panned below the line.
Caroline Hirons said ( before she too started flogging the likes of drunk elephant ) paying anything above £50 for a pot of face cream pays for advertising and wages.
I stupidly bought the first book and yes it was just a rehash of her columns her 2nd book was joke.
She is in the clique of pushing stuff friends want tl sell who in return push her books.
For example Charlotte T gets her makeup pushed in the guardian and SH gets a forward from CT for her book. Win win.
The botox gang!
Great wedding photos though such a happy bride. She looked gorgeous.

Reactions: 4
I bought the CT dry sheet mask after Sali raved about it - now that really was the emperors new clothes - I felt stupid for falling for it tbh, but I’d always trusted her recs.

Well it was CT so she is obliged to gush over it.
Just counted 10 tags on latest Instagram post and as usual CT.
Bad photo as her left eyebrow is now significantly higher than the other one, which she is trying to hide with her hair. This happened to Kylie M and she was never able to get it rectified.
During one of her women's chats she said when on the train she looks at women's number 11's ( frown lines ) and wants to recommend botox to them. This was my wtf point. As botox is now messing up her face give me frown lines anyday so my eyes don't shrink and one eyebrow be permanently higher.
Sad really as when she started at the guardian she was excellent and had a big following, all positive.

Reactions: 2
Her eyes will become piss holes in snow soon. What a shame to mess with her face, she always made a big deal of being proud of her age and the aging process. Ugh.

I’m not that keen on Caroline Hirons ‘opinions’ but at least she’s honest about the face she has and what she’s used. Though she needs to just admit her ‘brand overviews’ are #ad.

Does anyone believe what Sali recommends? I haven’t trusted her reviews in such a long time. The things she recommends are all highly over priced and it’s clear she has had work done.

Reactions: 2
Yes I remember her writing about not caring if she looked her age. That she then proceeds to get the stereotypical botox face is too funny.
I'm not a CH fan but have a soft spot her as her cheat sheets and in-depth videos on acid toning & retin a are the best. When she gets all "chill your tits" angry, not so much.
Instamums are all over this site for non disclosure of #AD which fashion and beauty bloggers seem to get away with.
I don't undertand the need to tag everything you wear in a post if you're a beauty blogger. Either you're advertising or letting the brand know you will promote them if they feel inclined to send you a free Gucci belt or Bella Freud jumper.
On the post I wrote about above SH tags all her makeup. Plus the gillet you can't really see and then she tags an unseen handbag to put the gillet in! The hand bag brand being infamous for sending out free ones for influencers to push. No #AD #gift #spon in sight.
Once a beauty blogger has a frozen botoxed face, all recommendations are null and void.
Fortunately the guardian doesn't let her get away with it below the line.

She's definitely got a quizzical eyebrow thing going on. Is this new?

Funny that she would look at people with wrinkles and want to recommend botox to them. I look at people who have had botox and want to recommend ageing naturally to them.

It's only people who have had botox that think you can't tell when someone has had botox.

Reactions: 6
selling 100 quid creams whilst having any sort of cosmetic ‘enhancement’ work is taking the absolute piss.
Also she looks terrible in the latest picture with one of the Pixi girls, it’s a bad photo of them both tbh.

The raised eyebrow is quite new I think. Maybe she'd had her seventymillionth top up. Unfortunately that is now permanent.
She wears that Gucci belt with everything!
Very bad picture with eldest pixiwoo sister because they both love the botox too much. Pixiwoo sisters though unlike SH admitted to lip fillers and botox and don't try and flog £200 creme de lar mer.
It's sad because botox doesn't make you look younger, ever.
Foreheads dip slightly, not swell between and above eyebrows. Which is why it is always obvious.

WTF! Quite a few negative comments already. I'm assuming like *all* her beauty products that was a gift (#AD) not #prettyhonest.
Come on Sail, would love you to try and flog that in the guardian. Maybe she wants to crack the Hollywood market.
#salisellsout
[automerge]1543036141[/automerge]Most liked comment (sorry can't transfer screen shot)
"Urrrggh,no,that brand,just a big fat no." Has most likes SH answers and doesn't delete ( one point )

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.