Sali Hughes #9 I put myself online and people had opinions

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Carrying on from the previous thread, it certainly feels that SH and similar lot of celebs in the public eye have a chip on their shoulders when it comes to education and recognised qualifications. It’s one thing when LE does a 10-min impromptu make up look on request or because so the mood lead her to. She can afford to be creatively impulsive because she has years and years of experience and skill behind her back.
An influencer writer like SH can’t afford to use the same approach because she is no more qualified if her opinions and right to write about the stuff she writes about than lots of other people. She’s used very successfully her opportunities when she’s had them to build a career for herself. And that’s great, but the lack of substance still shows through.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Not at all @melfish . I don't consider her a journalist. She writes opinion columns but appears to have the what one might expect to be a disadvantage in that she only has about 10 opinions.

From a recent Vogue piece on lipstick
Not that hoary opinion again. Also, the irony bypass in the first par :ROFLMAO:

Do you think Sali experiences imposter syndrome?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
Carrying on from the previous thread, it certainly feels that SH and similar lot of celebs in the public eye have a chip on their shoulders when it comes to education and recognised qualifications. It’s one thing when LE does a 10-min impromptu make up look on request or because so the mood lead her to. She can afford to be creatively impulsive because she has years and years of experience and skill behind her back.
An influencer writer like SH can’t afford to use the same approach because she is no more qualified if her opinions and right to write about the stuff she writes about than lots of other people. She’s used very successfully her opportunities when she’s had them to build a career for herself. And that’s great, but the lack of substance still shows through.
Exactly this... She's literally made a career out of having opinions based on nothing but subjectivity, but no one else on the internet can have them??

PS hi, became a member post MOD debacle. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Reactions: 19
My theory is she would love to be a broadsheet columnist like CM and IK. And I don't blame her. Who wouldn't want to get in on a racket where you can spout ill informed opinion to fill say half a page a week for stupid money?
Two former columnists (Johnson and Gove) helped get the UK into the state it's currently in. It seems to be a job for which the only requisite qualifications are the arrogance to think complete strangers have any interest in the inconsequential piffle you write and the belief that you deserve to be richly rewarded for producing said piffle.
I give my piffle away for free here on 4 chan.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
My theory is should love to be a broadsheet columnist like CM and IK. And I don't blame her. Who wouldn't want to get in on a racket where you can spout ill informed opinion to fill say half a page a week for stupid money.
We seem to be living in the age if the columnist. Two former columnist (Johnson and Gove) helped get the UK into the state it's currently in. It seems to be a job for which the only requisite qualification is the arrogance to think complete strangers have any interest in the inconsequential piffle you write and the belief that you deserve to be richly rewarded for producing said piffle. I give my piffle away for free here on 4 chan.
Another luddite opinion perhaps, but there was once a time when op-eds were reserved for the most senior and respected journalists on the paper

Reactions: 12
Totally agree re qualifications - I wonder if SH wears her lack of them also as a badge of honour. Sort of learning from the school of hard knocks. When she campaigned to oust Lauren Luke from her job so she could get it (2010/2011?) I think those tactics were even admired showing a gritty hard nosed determination. Sort of like the 'ladette' thing.
There was that article (on here somewhere) describing that Twitter campaign where you can tell the whole episode is treated with respect and admiration by the interviewer, even with the occasional [[[laughs]]] thrown in as they gloat over a woman publicly losing her job.
Times have changed in a relatively small amount of time and the sort of ruthless Gordon Ghecko approach now looks just a bit icky.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Journalism clearly becoming a lost art, with a lot of these columnists taking liberties with the meaning of the term! The lines are very blurred, and you've got to wonder how much the casual readers can actually discern between real journalism vs "piffle" (amazing word by the way!)

• Haha
Reactions: 5
In the age of self-proclaimed experts, it irks my goat that through SM exposure people are faced with so much unqualified advice out there.

I have great interest in cars and certain music genres and can talk all day long about those given the opportunity. This does not make me an expert at those topics though, or at least no more than the next person who has spent more time and effort than myself to explore them.

Also I like cheese and eat lots of it. I wish I could claim expertise on that account and someone send me lots of free cheese mmm

• Haha
Reactions: 14
What I find noteworthy is that Sally says Julia didn’t take any rent from her. If that is true, why did she then need housing benefit - she has publicly said she wouldn’t have been able to survive without it!

Reactions: 5
I think she also uses the whole “beauty is not unimportant just because it’s a women’s interest subject” to bolster this idea she’s a journalist. As in, she’s not “just” a writer because she writes about beauty. So then all the lemmings carry the torch of “just because she writes about beauty doesn’t mean she’s not a journalist!” And well, no she’s not a journalist, but it’s not because she writes about beauty.

I haven’t explained that very well..

Reactions: 10
Who's Julia? The au pair? Hmm, what if one submitted a "receipt" for rent to the housing benefit people and ... oh, nevermind, that would be breaking the law

I think she also uses the whole “beauty is not unimportant just because it’s a women’s interest subject” to bolster this idea she’s a journalist. As in, she’s not “just” a writer because she writes about beauty. So then all the lemmings carry the torch of “just because she writes about beauty doesn’t mean she’s not a journalist!” And well, no she’s not a journalist, but it’s not because she writes about beauty.

I haven’t explained that very well..
You explained it perfectly. That's why it's part of her manifesto/repertoire to wheel that argument out repeatedly

Reactions: 2
In the age of self-proclaimed experts, it irks my goat that through SM exposure people are faced with so much unqualified advice out there.

I have great interest in cars and certain music genres and can talk all day long about those given the opportunity. This does not make me an expert at those topics though, or at least no more than the next person who has spent more time and effort than myself to explore them.

Also I like cheese and eat lots of it. I wish I could claim expertise on that account and someone send me lots of free cheese mmm
We could join forces! I'm not a sommelier but I'll start talking about how much I love wine (and why only my opinions are right) online, see if I get a sponny. We can have cheese & wine daily. Who's gonna bring the crackers?

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Totally agree re qualifications - I wonder if SH wears her lack of them also as a badge of honour. Sort of learning from the school of hard knocks. When she campaigned to oust Lauren Luke from her job so she could get it (2010/2011?) I think those tactics were even admired showing a gritty hard nosed determination. Sort of like the 'ladette' thing.
There was that article (on here somewhere) describing that Twitter campaign where you can tell the whole episode is treated with respect and admiration by the interviewer, even with the occasional [[[laughs]]] thrown in as they gloat over a woman publicly losing her job.
Times have changed in a relatively small amount of time and the sort of ruthless Gordon Ghecko approach now looks just a bit icky.
(Get the gloss)
'I got the Guardian beauty column entirely by accident when the editor of the paper, for whom I already wrote for a great deal, saw me tweeting my girlfriends that the Weekend beauty page was no where near good enough. She asked me to prove that I could do better"

So the guardian basically sacked their columnist, over someone on twitter complaining and boasting about their work? Also, none of the tattle on this social media platform has led to such consequence, yet this is the place of "beef faced skidmarks who need punched and are crazy" erm...

Reactions: 15
I wonder if the unqualified accusation particularly irks her these days? I noticed on her video the fact that her colleague was labelled unqualified amongst other things bothered her. At the risk of sounding like Carrie Bradshaw - 'and so I got to thinking, these days what does it actually mean to be 'qualified' or an 'expert'?

Btw wasn't Carrie Bradshaw a 'journalist'? Writing one column a week about something she proclaimed herself an expert in? With a sassy group of girlfriends? :unsure:

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.