Sali Hughes #40 The carbon footprint on that hair.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi Aude,

Argh ! I had to watch the video to check - I had to fast forward through it, personally, I found it unwatchable. I don’t think it was anything mentioned there . I think it was a few years before that . Kicking myself that it took buying one of the products and hating it for me to catch on to the whole ‘beauty expert’ shill .

On primers I think I remember Mary Greenwell saying she doesn’t like them . Or it could have been Lisa Eldridge. Both of those make up artists ( and maybe that is the difference , they are proper make up artists ) focus on techniques rather than product. Use what you’ve got , don’t buy more .

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I remember the Dior glow thingy, too. Apparently it was the ~best thing ever~.
I never bought it because I can't be arsed with primer. A good foundation should work in its own imo.

Reactions: 6
I remember once being influenced ( very unlike me ) to buy some kind of primer - it was a luxury brand,YSL or Dior. It had gold flecks in it I think. It’s not the current YSL primer - this was years ago. The column hailed it as some universally flattering miracle. I couldn’t believe how crap it was. I looked like the crypt keeper when I put it on.I have good skin and it aged me about 10 years.
I BOUGHT THIS! It was YSL, yes, and full of silicone. I got terrible spots immediately.

@Aude did you buy the pink balm that was supposed to make your skin look great, but all it did was immediately remove any makeup you had on underneath? Yeah, me too 🙄🔫.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Was it a recommendation in this odd video that influenced you? I bought a different, but also disappointing, YSL product on the basis of the hyping here.

I think this video was the first time I began to doubt SH. Not so much the hyping as her appearance. Her forehead seemed so smooth and unmoving and there was something odd about her mouth. It looked to me like the result of cosmetic procedures but, given her commitment to honesty, I didn't believe that she'd have had a cosmetic procedure without being open about it. I sort of convinced myself that it was just the odd filming that was making her look different.

Touche E-CLATTT :LOL: 🤣 ⚰

• Haha
Reactions: 10
@Aude did you buy the pink balm that was supposed to make your skin look great, but all it did was immediately remove any makeup you had on underneath? Yeah, me too 🙄🔫.
Yes! It was supposed to be like a nice powder compact, but with a blurring balm instead of powder, that you could carry around for touch-ups - even patting some on in public the way you might powder your nose.

Problem was, as you say, that the applicator sponge picked up the make-up underneath and looked grubby after a single use. And being an unusual rectangular shape you couldn't replace the sponge (nor could you wash it, as I found out). A serious design flaw that surely would have been obvious to anyone testing/reviewing the product.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
Katie Jane Hughes doesn’t use primer and doesn’t recommend it (I mean she always says if you like it keep it up).

Yes the Superdrug Vit E range is so nice, it’s the only thing I’ve ever bought on her rec. I’ve take Hirons’ advice more over the years but I can’t be arsed with her anymore either.

When I first started reading suspicions about her Botox I was SO disbelieving. I thought many things were valid - the cool girl superiority, slightly shifting origin story, her response to The Pool’s demise etc etc but no, the fillers were not on my radar for something she’d be being coy about and therefore shifty about. Well.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Oh god, I remember the Pool demise. Many female writers not being paid and Sali's response was something like "Sam and Lauren are creatives, can't expect them to be good with figures"

• Sick
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Do you think the Pool was supposed to be her future income? So she could do a little side shilling for the free stuff but also rake cash in from the website? Didn’t she get the loaf to invest as well, or was that her website?

Reactions: 1
He was an investor for Sali Hughes beauty, not sure about the Pool but I don't think so

Does anyone remember Sali and Sam Brick having this Twitter exchange around the time of the Pool demise

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
Christ.

Always made me laugh the way she nouveau riche-ly declared she could comfortably write off the thousands upon thousands she was owed while more junior staff worried about how they would survive the situation.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
Just spotted this. Apparently it's 'naff' to try to hold a publication to account for not paying writers.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
“I’ve never taken publications that upset me to task on here”
Hmm took the guardian’s beauty column to task tho…

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
And does anyone really need a primer? Seems like just another unnecessary step
I don't use foundation so I like to use a primer under a tinted serum or BB cream if I want a more made up look. I usually use Lancome or Clarins... the Lancome makes a huge difference, basically transforms my BB Cream into a proper full face of foundation. I find the Clarins doesn't do too much appearance wise but does seem to make my tinted serum stay on a lot longer during the day.

Reactions: 9
I remember once being influenced ( very unlike me ) to buy some kind of primer - it was a luxury brand,YSL or Dior. It had gold flecks in it I think. It’s not the current YSL primer - this was years ago. The column hailed it as some universally flattering miracle. I couldn’t believe how crap it was. I looked like the crypt keeper when I put it on.I have good skin and it aged me about 10 years.
So that was that for me.
I just buy what appeals to me on brand’s own websites plus the old favourites I’ve used for years. You know yourself better than any influencer does. I find influencers have the opposite effect on me , the more they praise the more I make a point to avoid it. Surely they must be creating an ‘anti influencer’ effect half the time now. People are wising up.
I bought this too. Dior Glow primer. I remember it was really shimmery and made me look awful. Had to go on a waiting list as it was sold out after Sali raved about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I fell for her recs on replacements for that primer. Just made my skin look like I’d been sweating all night, really highlighted how she was incapable of imagining products on skin types other than her own.

• Angry
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.