Sali Hughes #38 True to size. Mine is XS

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Agree and with that faith comes an inability to admit an error or apologise for one. Just defensiveness/excuses

Or sometimes lashing out.
And yet this, from her The Pool article about certainty:

1631624503693.png

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
hasn't she claimed before she's really into literature?
into literature but doesn't know one of the biggest recent stories from the scene... interesting
not on twitter much but has new tweets nearly every day... double interesting
she literally did what she was criticising people for with the Tilbury stuff, wading in on something not their business and that they don't know the facts about - she tries to have the best and 'right' take on everything but doesn't understand or know about half the stuff she talks about, getting herself into deep water on issues she could have just researched or just had a silent, non-internet opinion on?? You don't need to comment on everything, especially if you have no idea.
Clanchy's writing is absolutely indefensible, if you were one of her students reading what she wrote, or god forbid one of the students' parents, you would be fuming - even if you take away the abhorrent racism, ableism, fatphobia, the list bleeping goes on, it's still just plain arrogant that she somewhat claims herself as the reason behind all the kids' great writing and downright uncomfortable and borderline creepy the ways she talks about all the childrens' appearances.
Also the way she tried to cover it up and say people were claiming she was racist for no reason, getting people angry who would never support what she had done on her side and angry on her behalf was wild. Obvs people came with literal photos of the printed words as receipts and a lot of her previous supporters were like erm yeah no I'm gonna agree with photo evidence. what a mess

Reactions: 13
Sali famously had 'lipstick, literature and liberalism' embroidered on a sweatshirt

I also think that blue ticks need to realise that not everything needs their hot take. Sometimes it's ok to stand down and let others speak!

(That lipstick, literature and liberalism slogan sets my teeth on edge each time I think of it)

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Sali famously had 'lipstick, literature and liberalism' embroidered on a sweatshirt

I also think that blue ticks need to realise that not everything needs their hot take. Sometimes it's ok to stand down and let others speak!

(That lipstick, literature and liberalism slogan sets my teeth on edge each time I think of it)
'lipstick, literature, liberalism' makes me full body cringe oh my god

why would you wear that hahahahaha

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
If you don’t know the situation and context then don’t bloody comment. Stay in your lane. She’s the most annoying kind of commenter: superficially woke, widely ignorant but with great faith in her her own takes.

This is actually more She Here’s lane:

View attachment 762426
We all tit. Get over it and get into supporting your digestive health.
I'm more troubled by someone putting a price sticker over that barcode.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
She was definitely trying to get a book-reviewing gig a while ago. She wanted to be a cultural commentator on literature, memoir and film, ideally with her own program. Renaissance woman. The new Mariella Frostrup. Chumming up with Cathy Restzinbrink etc. She still tries, eg Kat Lister on Insta now. It’s not going to happen.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I actually thought Tomiwa’s piece was good. I also thought Kate Clanchy was in the wrong and handled criticism badly. It’s so annoying how everything always has to descend into the sheer tribalism of “I am so good and so pure” and “they are so terrible and bigoted”. Ultimately people of colour aren’t a monolith and the expectation that every non-white person will hold the same beliefs is pretty bleeping racist. I love the work of Lorde and Crenshaw; I understand the conditions and implications of white feminism. However it’s ultimately becoming a stick for white, privileged women to beat down the opinions of other women they don’t agree with, and frankly I think weaponising a concept to shout down other women when you have personally benefited from the system you’re decrying is tacky. If people like Joanne Harris are so committed to eliminating white feminism why aren’t they, say, giving up their places as chair of the society of authors or whatnot to Black women? There’s very little practising what you preach going on.

In brief, though, Sali isn’t capable of such nuance and acknowledging it presents problems for her frankly unjustifiable tenure at the Guardian. If you’re so committed to amplifying Black voices maybe you could give up one of every four columns to an up and coming writer? No? Hm. And so the empty virtue signalling continues.

Reactions: 35
Appreciate these won’t be to everyone’s taste but these are my natural nails with a gel manicure. All vegan and cruelty free products. There must be so many incredible nail technicians in Brighton so I’m totally baffled by her thick stick on monstrosities.
These are absolute goals !!!! ♥♥♥😍

• Heart
Reactions: 4
It’s so annoying how everything always has to descend into the sheer tribalism of “I am so good and so pure” and “they are so terrible and bigoted”.
This is something that really interests me. The psychology of people justifying or attacking stuff on purely partisan grounds and telling themselves they're just or righteous (I appreciate whichever of SH's moderators is on Tattle duty today may find that ironic ).

In brief, though, Sali isn’t capable of such nuance and acknowledging it presents problems for her frankly unjustifiable tenure at the Guardian. If you’re so committed to amplifying Black voices maybe you could give up one of every four columns to an up and coming writer? No? Hm. And so the empty virtue signalling continues.
Whether those who speak of lack of diversity in their industry and in part perpetuate it by helping their children and friend's children out with their connections are the ones who get me. Do they not understand that the people they're keeping out are those without those connections ie those not currently represented in their industry? And so improvements in representation/diversity continue to happen at a glacial pace.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Sali and her crew have form for pushing friends kids- e.g Caitlin Moran's daughter being plugged by her godmother Lauren Laverne and her song being played in one of Sali's Hush ads. But it's ok, she apparently emailed the Blur producer (or someone) herself! And he replied in an instant so it's nothing to do with nepotism or connections, ok?

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
Whether those who speak of lack of diversity in their industry and in part perpetuate it by helping their children and friend's children out with their connections are the ones who get me. Do they not understand that the people they're keeping out are those without those connections ie those not currently represented in their industry? And so improvements in representation/diversity continue to happen at a glacial pace.
Yep, exactly this. I just looked up Joanne Harris’ daughter and surprise sur-bleeping-prise she works at a literary agency as an assistant and talent scout. Now how might that have happened? 🤔

I would say to Joanne that true white feminism is believing that moving aside is something that others should do while the gains you and your family have made through your connections are sheer good fortune and hard work. Very tired of such empty words from these people.

Reactions: 14

Sorry, but lipstick, literature and liberalism must be the next thread title 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 10
1631633677376.png

Did this text on a jumper alone make her a "fashion designer"? Or did she earn that title from other designs?

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.