Sali Hughes #26 Lipstick, lube and liberalism

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
"Allowing you to see yourself in the best light possible, Simplehuman’s ingenious Sensor Mirror Trio 20cm Round makes for a gorgeous addition to any make up maven’s dressing table. With varying levels of magnification and surgical-grade LED bulbs that mimic daylight, you can kiss goodbye to blush-tastrophes and tell-tale tidelines — your visage will be reflected with extreme accuracy so that you can achieve perfectly precise make up application!"
She mustn't have one then?

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I just hung a mirror above the table in the hallway, but high enough to crop out my jawline 😂Full-length mirror on the outside of the closet door I avoid eye contact with up close but it's OK for checking outfits from a socially approved distance

Accidentally catching myself in the front-facing camera is enough to ruin a day :m 😫 🥴

Women shouldn't feel like this, getting older, but here we are
Love this life hack. Thanks melfish

"Allowing you to see yourself in the best light possible, Simplehuman’s ingenious Sensor Mirror Trio 20cm Round makes for a gorgeous addition to any make up maven’s dressing table. With varying levels of magnification and surgical-grade LED bulbs that mimic daylight, you can kiss goodbye to blush-tastrophes and tell-tale tidelines — your visage will be reflected with extreme accuracy so that you can achieve perfectly precise make up application!"
Oh my god is this an actual quote? Cheek of her telling US about tidelines.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
It's a product description, she didn't write it
It's amazing isn't? Not even put a few words together to explain what she's chosen/is recommending. Just a list of stuff and a dull interview. #properjournalist

Reactions: 5
It's amazing isn't? Not even put a few words together to explain what she's chosen/is recommending. Just a list of stuff and a dull interview. #properjournalist
ker-ching 🤑

Apparently that mirror is cult. It'd better make me look like Kate Moss for that kind of money

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
My eyebrows are disappearing - getting thinner. 😒. I’ve never plucked them as luckily they have always been the right shape but they are more maintenance now to get them looking like they did only a few months ago. Even when dyed it doesn’t last long. Got lines coming under my eyes and best of all, those vertical lines from mouth to chin - you know, like a ventriloquist’s dummy. 😩.
I have some biotin but was slack taking it. Going to take it up again now, along with the vit D of course.

Reactions: 5
My Maille samples arrived and it's a 0/3 so far from me
Which three? I got a sample box ages ago that has Carnal Flower, which I already knew I loved, PoaL, Iris Poudre and three others I like but not like I like those ones! What I should have done is shelled out nearly a weeks wages on CF but instead I am still messing about with samples, dupes and decants 😞 I now have a strong attachment to Lipstick Rose (its very like a long lost L’Occitane that I still pine for).

• Wow
Reactions: 2
She's got another Cult beauty box in the works I reckon. This time with p a e d o candle subbed for 1970 candle, but obviously still Bella Freud 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Which three? I got a sample box ages ago that has Carnal Flower, which I already knew I loved, PoaL, Iris Poudre and three others I like but not like I like those ones! What I should have done is shelled out nearly a weeks wages on CF but instead I am still messing about with samples, dupes and decants 😞 I now have a strong attachment to Lipstick Rose (its very like a long lost L’Occitane that I still pine for).
The ones I tried are Carnal Flower, Iris Poudre, and Eau de Magnolia. I guess I just don't like florals much

I've been messing around with samples too. I got a big Juliette has a Gun one and haven't found one I love yet

Ditto Le Labo

Although I do like The Noir

Reactions: 1
The ones I tried are Carnal Flower, Iris Poudre, and Eau de Magnolia. I guess I just don't like florals much

I've been messing around with samples too. I got a big Juliet has a Gun one and haven't found one I love yet
Ah see I LOVE florals. I’ve concluded I can’t bear anything with patchouli on me, though it smells nice on other people. Otherwise I’m open to suggestions and I should probably stop as it’s getting silly.
I’ve only tried two JHAGs, I like Lipstick Fever but not enough to buy a full size bottle, and I think Vengeance Extreme has patchouli. I do like how it smells on my coat the next day, though

those vertical lines from mouth to chin - you know, like a ventriloquist’s dummy. 😩.
I've got similar, though not from mouth to chin, they are sort of short and diagonal from the corners of my mouth. Really deep. Felt like they were just there overnight. I investigated, and they are from years of what I can only call "concentration scowling" at a computer screen

I think I like musty, woody, leathery scents, but still haven't found the One. I thought it was Santal Blush so I invested in a whole bottle but can barely smell it on myself 😭

Last edited:
Marionette lines! They're also genetic. My gran and aunts have them and they are coming for me too!

Talking of mirrors, did anyone see the £279 one SH included in her Cult Beauty "edit"?

(For those struggling hang in there and I hope things get better soon. X:m ♥ :m )
Sod the mirror. What the duck is going on with that pose?!!!! Is she an IT girl or supermodel wannabe????!?!?

I got a big Juliette has a Gun one and haven't found one I love yet
What about Mad Madame? That a lovely musky one that’s not in your face like POAL (which I HATE!).

Accidentally catching myself in the front-facing camera is enough to ruin a day :m 😫 🥴
YES. I relate so much to this!

———

Which Biotin supplements are people taking for their hair, please?

Last edited:
Oh my god!!! I just went to the cult beauty website straight from your link and screen grabbed the exact same description. This bleeping mirror is being recommended by someone who has written about the perils of magnifying mirrors and pore size dysmorphia... I don’t know why I am surprised or whatever the reaction I’m having is ... But she changes her mind / story / foundation colour / whatever all the time in the name of the flog.

@Mazerati @Badabing101 and anyone else who may be struggling - I’m sending you big, virtual hugs xxx
That’s very sweet, I’ve been a lot better this past couple of days.

Has anyone read Wintering by Katherine May? It’s a kind of memoir on how to ride the different seasons of our lives and how to embrace our ‘winters’. It’s a lovely read, I recommend it xx

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Why does anyone need hundreds of flannels? Why not just have a few and wash them? I don't get it!
Talking of mirrors, did anyone see the £279 one SH included in her Cult Beauty "edit"?
Who needs a mirror for £280?!? Ugh, I’m so sick of her constant shilling and her conspicuous consumption.

Having read the Sali threads over Christmas, I’ve nothing new to add. I really enjoyed her writing in the early days of the column; it’s thanks to her that I still double cleanse and learned how to apply liquid eyeliner, but the format has become rather tired and formulaic in the last few years and so I’ve stopped reading the column. Like many here, I was a member of GTL and really was such a fan. She felt like the big sister that I never had; perhaps it’s because I was impressionable and hadn’t figured out who I was yet that I sought to make myself feel better by buying lotions and potions because Sali recommended them. I bought so many things based on her recommendations that just didn’t work for me or my lifestyle; was it only me who continued to wear the Bobbi Brown lipstick in Nude because it looked great on Sali, even though it washed me out? I was so envious when she was gifted the red Chanel compact mirror one Christmas, and the only reason I didn’t buy Acne Pistols was because I couldn’t get them delivered to Belgium!

Nobody forced me to buy those things but looking back on it, I feel like she exploited a lot of people. She was one of the first beauty influencers around and I never twigged that the reason she had all these treatments (Hershersons haircuts, Vaishaly facials, eyebrow threading by Daxita) was because they were free for her. I feel conned and incredibly embarrassed that I sought to emulate someone who has profited hugely from others by shilling new things every week.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
I feel your pain @murphao . Laughing at the BB Nude lipstick... I bought it too and it looked ok on me, but certainly not amazing !

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Which Biotin supplements are people taking for their hair, please?
I take Solgar Biotin 5000ug. It says take one a day, I take two or three a day. I think I remember Trinny saying she took much more than that (possibly four in the morning, four in the evening?). I think it was the fact that her hair improved so much with Biotin that led me to gave it another try.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.