Sali Hughes #26 Lipstick, lube and liberalism

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
100 % agree

Totally off topic, but I’ve been wondering how everyone is finding the start to the New Year with all the lockdown stuff etc? I don’t want to turn into a covid thread, but just checking if everyone is ok.
Getting cabin fever over here... And the wife and I are struggling to deal with work and looking after three little ones without childcare. It’s so hard!

Financially we’re fine but emotionally, no. We’re fast becoming drained of our energy reserves.

I can’t wait to get back to the office!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Getting cabin fever also! And on a shallow note, my eyebrows desperately need doing! All jokes aside, I've little to complain about it and it could be so much worse. Much love to you all

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Getting cabin fever also! And on a shallow note, my eyebrows desperately need doing! All jokes aside, I've little to complain about it and it could be so much worse. Much love to you all
Keep your eyebrows trimmed with eyebrow scissors, and pluck any obvious strays, but leave the rest. That seems to be working for me for now.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Plus there are so many cookery books. I have no idea why Sali's recipes would be any more interesting than any other random person's.
Yes she occasionally mentions food but it always seems extremely basic - jacket potato with marmite or macaroni cheese for eg. I'm sure it is lovely but millions of people make tasty adequate meals regularly.
I guess this explains the @ of Nigella these days.
I just tried this a couple of times because I do like Marmite and can't eat toast any more. But honestly? It was a relief to revert to Marmite-free spud last night.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Have you done Nigella’s Marmite pasta because if you like Marmite it is bellisimo.

Reactions: 5
I had a quick look through Pretty Iconic a month or two ago to remind myself about bath pearls, then stuck it in the charity bag. Didn’t bother at all with the other one.

Sali has definitely been reading here :D. Again, I mean.
Ok i was driven to Google. I know Wiki can be edited by anyone, but this is what it says - seeming to imply that the manufacture of 'normal' Cheddar does use rennet https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheddar_cheese
View attachment 386386

Reactions: 4
Ok i was driven to Google. I know Wiki can be edited by anyone, but this is what it says - seeming to imply that the manufacture of 'normal' Cheddar does use rennet https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheddar_cheese
View attachment 386386
Perhaps that was the case, but most British cheeses (around 97%, I once read) are vegetarian.

View attachment 386438

——————

on a separate note, has anyone ever used a biotin supplement for their hair, and did it work? I am keen to try this, but I am nervous about some of reported side effects like rashes and acne!! 😬

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Totally off topic, but I’ve been wondering how everyone is finding the start to the New Year with all the lockdown stuff etc? I don’t want to turn into a covid thread, but just checking if everyone is ok.
Thanks for asking. I does feel bleak, even though I know I'm very fortunate compared with others - I live in the country with a big garden, no caring responsibilities, no financial worries, no family/friends affected (touch wood). I'm focusing on each day getting a bit longer as we move towards Spring and out of this.

How are you?

on a separate note, has anyone ever used a biotin supplement for their hair, and did it work? I am keen to try this, but I am nervous about some of reported side effects like rashes and acne!! 😬
Yes, and I think it has worked.

My hair thinned quite considerably about five years ago. I tried biotin then and it gave me spots so I stopped taking it. I tried various other supplements - Viviscal, Superior Hair, something else expensive from Victoria Health the name of which I can't remember - and nothing worked, despite taking each of them for well over a year. I concluded that nothing would help and ended up getting 'thickening' extensions.

For some reason I gave biotin another try and it didn't give me spots (maybe I was taking too much before?). I now take that and Fulvic Acid (form Victoria Health) and, between, they have made a difference. I stopped getting extensions and don't feel the need for them now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Perhaps that was the case, but most British cheeses (around 97%, I once read) are vegetarian.

View attachment 386438

——————

Nah, you'll be fine. It's water soluble, so can't build up to harmful levels (you'll just pee it out)

Reactions: 1
@Jelly Bean & @Aude I’m okay today thanks, feeling like my mood can change one day to the next, but had a huge cry on Sunday and I think that helped. Like @GTL Old-Timer we’re both working from home and I’ve got 2 primary aged children and it’s intense. It’s simply not possible to feed everyone 3 times a day, work, pay attention to everyone’s needs and support the children with home schooling without feeling like I’ve done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson by the end of it. I’ve been having magnesium baths which resemble the mineral content of the Dead Sea!! @SqualorVictoria My brows are so out of shape now it’s ridiculous - I thought I’d kept them in an okay state, but I was looking at a picture earlier from last Christmas and I’ve definitely gone wayward 😂.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I took it for about 6 weeks. Noticed a difference in my nails within days, they became very strong and fast growing. Was wary of spots but none appeared. The reason I stopped taking it is that I mysteriously put on 5lbs during that time. Stopped taking biotin and within two days the 5 lbs had gone. Clearly just water retention but it put me off continuing.

Which is basically a long-winded way of saying I didn't take it long enough to notice if it had an affect on my hair.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Latecomer to this thread here, I joined originally as a commenter on the PandSnora Yikes/Dolly 'Will Flirt for Dettol' Aldersnot thread. I just listened to the BBC File on Four from October SH did and was absolutely APPALLED. Did she actually compare readers/IG users to "trolls" who are Covid-deniers? I cannot believe the BBC legal team signed off on the episode. This woman should be fired from the Guardian for that sketchy, sleazy WOE IS ME account and that File on 4 episode erased forever. She came across as just a horrible, vindictive woman, the kind one goes out on one's way to avoid. I can't wait to go back to October and read all the reactions here. I also loved her claim that these kind of websites make soooooooooo much money.
And you know what else? I'm a normal person!

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Not just covid deniers but racists (people here are vindictive ex members of her FB group who were chucked off for being racist apparently).
She has said that a couple of times - completely unchallenged by interviewers. Never mind there literally is not one scrap of proof this is true. And certainly not evidenced by the threads here.

• Angry
Reactions: 10
Not just covid deniers but racists (people here are vindictive ex members of her FB group who were chucked off for being racist apparently).
She has said that a couple of times - completely unchallenged by interviewers. Never mind there literally is not one scrap of proof this is true. And certainly not evidenced by the threads here.
That was what made me 100% certain that she was reading comments here herself. She’s making us out to be scum, and calling anyone who even visits this place an enabler, all to detract attention away from her own racist and bullying behaviour. Daft cow.

Reactions: 9
I'm depressed, battling adhd and watching my youth drain from my face and hair on a daily basis. Thinking about getting rid of every single mirror n the house tbh.

But I did just discover Line of Duty and binged watched 3 seasons of it, as well as got back into reading, so win!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
I'm depressed, battling adhd and watching my youth drain from my face and hair on a daily basis. Thinking about getting rid of every single mirror n the house tbh.

But I did just discover Line of Duty and binged watched 3 seasons of it, as well as got back into reading, so win!
I deliberately don't have a mirror in my bedroom.

Reactions: 3
I do have mirrors in my home, but I don’t use FaceID on my iPhone for this reason. I refuse to update my phone until they bring back TouchID. I can’t bear to look at my face every time I need to pay for something or unlock my phone.

@Mazerati @Badabing101 and anyone else who may be struggling - I’m sending you big, virtual hugs xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Thanks trolls. I'm alright in the grand scheme of things. Depression and adhd symptoms are old friends and I've been managing them for so long. The face thing... I objectively still look good. I just have difficulty adjusting to this new era of...sag :oops:. And I just need to keep my mind distracted with things that are not about me. Ha!

I just hung a mirror above the table in the hallway, but high enough to crop out my jawline 😂Full-length mirror on the outside of the closet door I avoid eye contact with up close but it's OK for checking outfits from a socially approved distance

Accidentally catching myself in the front-facing camera is enough to ruin a day :m 😫 🥴

Women shouldn't feel like this, getting older, but here we are

• Sad
In the itbw claudia winkleman she said her childhood home had no mirrors and I'm hypothetically thinking of doing that if I ever have children. (Or just do mirrored inside cabinet and wardrobe doors?)

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.