Sali Hughes #26 Lipstick, lube and liberalism

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This book has been in the making since about 2017 though

I saw a comment from someone asking if she would ever write fiction and she said no. What happened to Falling Down Laughing?
I think it was “Falling and Laughing” - it’s a song lyric. I think she first mentioned she was writing it in 2012

DEEP RESEARCH! Or I just have a good memory for things that make me cringe so much, my insides turn over

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Yeah exactly, if you wanted to make a daal surely Sali wouldn't be your first port of call?
God, no, but her inexplicable sycophants would claim it's the best daal they've ever had, even though they didn't have 3 of the ingredients and substituted beans in place of lentils.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
If she's re-purposing old Pool articles I can see her trying to write some kind of Guide to Life nonsense, with a chapter dedicated to all the milestones and cornerstones: leaving home, choosing a career, heartbreak, friendship, motherhood, marriage etc, and a recommended recipe, film, and song to go with all of them.

No doubt lots of Madonna, Pet Shop Boys, and Bowie. Some films that she saw WAY before you did. And various uninspiring one pot meals.

Maybe it will be reminiscent of that snooty book India Knight wrote a few years back on how to be middle aged. (like anyone's taking her advice these days...)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Oh god, I can picture the chapter on marriage already. "I knew that I didn't want to be your typical, run of the mill bride in some virginal white dress. I mean, we had already been living in sin and I have two children from a previous marriage, for heavens sake. I'd be fooling precisely no one with some demure, virginal blushing bride act. It was with great care I choose the not as yet released Falconetti dress from the Vampire's Wife for my evening attire. It reflected the quirky, indie vibe of the wedding that Dan I wanted to portray, us not being like any other couple. It felt uniquely "us". It was a proud moment when Vogue magazine awarded a "dress of the decade" gong to the Falconetti. This dress, the very same dress I had raved to til dawn in a Brighton drag club, the soundtrack of the Pet Shop Boys and Madonna in the musical backdrop curated by my creative friend Lauren Laverne."

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
Despite myself, I confess I am interested in what this book is about. A while ago she mentioned in an IG interview that she was 'repurposing' for the book an article she had written for the Pool (an article about the shops not stocking clothes she wanted to buy).

On the basis of that, I'd wondered whether the book had a 'that was then, this is now' theme - e.g. I used to wear heels, now I wear flats. Now I'm wondering whether it might be a Greatest Hits collection - best articles, best recipes, best beauty products.
It's all one-pot cooking, from what I can gather. Maybe it's a book of middle-class, middle-aged life hacks

I suspect recipes will play a small role, though. Who needs a cookbook from a rando in the age of the internet?

EDIT: As usual my time zone (in the failed states of America) means my comments are already redundant by the time I finish catching up. Apologies 😫

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
@SqualorVictoria That was amazing! She should pay you to ghostwrite

I bet she manages to shoehorn in that Christmas Day she spent with India & family when her kids were at their dad’s, while not actually naming IK because she’s now married to a sex offender

Also, being the first person in the world to be vegetarian (I honestly can’t believe someone who lives in hippy dippy Brighton - BRIGHTON! - could go on about vegetarianism like they discovered it) and when she worked in Gap on Oxford St

#lahughesgreatesthits #deepresearch

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Thank you, @Spanner ! The worst thing is that IK isn't even married to that awful creep. So why the hell is she sticking around? Not that marriage would make us stick around with a sex offender but surely it would be less complicated to leave when they're not married

Reactions: 11
Thank you, @Spanner ! The worst thing is that IK isn't even married to that awful creep. So why the hell is she sticking around? Not that marriage would make us stick around with a sex offender but surely it would be less complicated to leave when they're not married
That’s not the worst thing. The worst is that her daughter went to live with her ex husband. I find that unthinkable. I would always choose my children first. Always.

Reactions: 19
Ahh, I wasn’t sure, I thought I read married somewhere but maybe I’ve invented it because, you’re right, why would she be with him if you don’t even have the trouble of a divorce? What I find absolutely inexplicable is that her teenage daughter now has to live with her father because her partner is a n o n c e.

I have to say it makes me feel quite smug to think of all the tit she was throwing our way after freaky friday, when actually she deserves pity. So desperate to not be alone, she’d rather live with a sex offender than by herself. Very sad woman

Reactions: 11
Ahh, I wasn’t sure, I thought I read married somewhere but maybe I’ve invented it because, you’re right, why would she be with him if you don’t even have the trouble of a divorce? What I find absolutely inexplicable is that her teenage daughter now has to live with her father because her partner is a n o n c e.

I have to say it makes me feel quite smug to think of all the tit she was throwing our way after freaky friday, when actually she deserves pity. So desperate to not be alone, she’d rather live with a sex offender than by herself. Very sad woman
He's clearly got an alcohol problem so I wonder if maybe she does too and that's why she's sticking with him. Boozy co-dependency. Addicts tell themselves all sorts of lies to excuse their behaviour, or their partner's behaviour. And remember that bird's nest situation she had with her hair? I know most people's hair went free-range in 2020, but that level of unkemptness made me wonder.

That’s not the worst thing. The worst is that her daughter went to live with her ex husband. I find that unthinkable. I would always choose my children first. Always.
Sorry yes, it's an expression that Irish people use but isn't always literal! Yes it's the pits, beyond comprehension. And what makes it even more shocking is that her daughter has special needs. How could she choose that pig over her own daughter?

"Married incels". Projection much?

He's clearly got an alcohol problem so I wonder if maybe she does too and that's why she's sticking with him. Boozy co-dependency. Addicts tell themselves all sorts of lies to excuse their behaviour, or their partner's behaviour. And remember that bird's nest situation she had with her hair? I know most people's hair went free-range in 2020, but that level of unkemptness made me wonder.
That she actually presented that hair for some poor soul to wash it makes me feel queasy

• Heart
@SqualorVictoria

Also, being the first person in the world to be vegetarian (I honestly can’t believe someone who lives in hippy dippy Brighton - BRIGHTON! - could go on about vegetarianism like they discovered it) and when she worked in Gap on Oxford St
I'm waiting on the "RIP Gap & Topshop Oxford Circus where I met my fellow bitchy twitterers and dressed up in leopard print before it was cool" post in 3...2...1...

• Haha
Reactions: 10
If she's re-purposing old Pool articles I can see her trying to write some kind of Guide to Life nonsense, with a chapter dedicated to all the milestones and cornerstones: leaving home, choosing a career, heartbreak, friendship, motherhood, marriage etc, and a recommended recipe, film, and song to go with all of them.

No doubt lots of Madonna, Pet Shop Boys, and Bowie. Some films that she saw WAY before you did. And various uninspiring one pot meals.

Maybe it will be reminiscent of that snooty book India Knight wrote a few years back on how to be middle aged. (like anyone's taking her advice these days...)
Maybe a lifestyle theme, yes. I’m thinking a chapter on purchasing clothes online from places like eBay (her jeans) and other ‘cool’ places. I was interested in this until I realised that I cba to ‘watch’ stuff. She used to say she got a lot of her clothes second hand before she kitted herself out head to foot in Hush. 🙄

Reactions: 6
She's shilling Hush on twitter too

The book is probably also a way to avoid the cognitive dissonance involved in full-time influencing

Reactions: 7
100 % agree

Totally off topic, but I’ve been wondering how everyone is finding the start to the New Year with all the lockdown stuff etc? I don’t want to turn into a covid thread, but just checking if everyone is ok.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
She used to say she got a lot of her clothes second hand before she kitted herself out head to foot in Hush. 🙄
I'd forgotten that (but so has she apparently) - it wasn't so long ago was it she made a big thing about buying second hand clothes (and had done for ages obvs).

@Badabing101 - hanging in there. Can't complain really compared to so many others. Hope all OK with you.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.