Sali Hughes #23 Swipe up Sali!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

I followed the advice in this column for years - always went for yellow undertones, and could never work out why my (very cool, slightly pink) skin always looked like tit.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I only got into make up in the last year and before that I had always got confused about not being able to colour match, getting overwhelmed and thus not bothering with make up. Lock down has given me time to learn more and I now look for beauty gurus with similar colouring as well as undertones and I take their advice and recommendations rather than just anyone's.

I followed the advice in this column for years - always went for yellow undertones, and could never work out why my (very cool, slightly pink) skin always looked like tit.
Just saw this. What a load of crap. Why do people take her seriously!

Reactions: 4
I honestly think the way she talks about colours/red lipsticks to suit all is her ridiculous way of being iNcLuSiVe. But she basically doesn't explain her reasoning. Then there are really great you tubers out there who explain colour theory, shading, etc. I learn from those people.
This is exactly it. She can say she went to great pains to get something that "suits everybody", and if you point out that it definitely doesn't, well, you clearly don't have an artist's eye.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
@Mazerati, I do the same. As it happens LE has my skin tone and very similar skin type (mine is more sensitive thought) so I tend to trust her recommendations. I’m not sure there is such a thing as universally flattering anything makeup-wise. It’s often said to drum up sales in my view.

Reactions: 5
Not invested enough to read the column, although I made more effort on my skincare from reading here and labmuffin. I now want to read this colour me book. I’d always wanted to get my colours done. Influenced!

Reactions: 3
There really is no such thing as a colour that suits everyone. Your personality has to be taken into account too. I really wish Sali would stop saying it

Not invested enough to read the column, although I made more effort on my skincare from reading here and labmuffin. I now want to read this colour me book. I’d always wanted to get my colours done. Influenced!
I really like it. It's very 80s (which I love for the retro feel) but the advice still stands. The section on makeup advises to have a small collection of things that actually work. I wish I'd known this before spending hundreds on makeup that didn't suit me

It's what I do now and it works for me. A small collection, not loads of unused palettes and lipsticks

Reactions: 8
Column about mac but its useless online without pictures. (Or is this so people are forced to open the affiliate links to understand the colours she talks about? :unsure:)

The bobbi brown advert made me wince, she is so rough with the skin around her eyes compared to LE who has encouraged me to be more gentle to my own skin

There really is no such thing as a colour that suits everyone. Your personality has to be taken into account too.
I have a snarky personality. Really would love for some recommendations for appropriate colours. Am around an nc30 thank you so much. Xx;)

• Haha
Reactions: 8

It's a bit horrible to Michelle Heaton and Tilda Swinton isn't it? I thought we were the horrible ones.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I have a snarky personality. Really would love for some recommendations for appropriate colours. Am around an nc30 thank you so much. Xx;)
I think peachy colours will pop for you and tone down the blue aura the snark emits. As Sali said in her latest advert, use something humectant (😂) first so that it sits nicely on the skin x

• Haha
  • Heart
I think peachy colours will pop for you and tone down the blue aura the snark emits. As Sali said in her latest advert, use something humectant (😂) first so that it sits nicely on the skin x
humectant....like glycerine...that I posted about the other day. I’m sure it’s just a coincidence.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Saw the title of this morning's Guardian column and I knew, I just KNEW even before I read it that 'Taupe' was going to be mentioned.

Does anyone remember the row that developed either on GTL or SHB, I can't remember which, over the pronunciation of 'taupe'. Was it taupe as in rope or taupe with a long drawn out u? I can't even think of anything to rhyme with that!
It led onto a big argument about pronunciation in general and naturally triggered Sali and the pronunciation of her surname :rolleyes:

Yellow undertones make me look seriously unwell.
But then, the advice came from someone who insists she's incredibly pale ("deathly pallor") but uses Bobbi Brown stick foundation in Beige...looking at the colours it's really not THAT pale...so🤷‍♀️

Saw the title of this morning's Guardian column and I knew, I just KNEW even before I read it that 'Taupe' was going to be mentioned.

Does anyone remember the row that developed either on GTL or SHB, I can't remember which, over the pronunciation of 'taupe'. Was it taupe as in rope or taupe with a long drawn out u? I can't even think of anything to rhyme with that!
It led onto a big argument about pronunciation in general and naturally triggered Sali and the pronunciation of her surname :rolleyes:
In theory at least it should be pronounced TOPE as it's French (meaning mole ...I am a mole and I live in a hole).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
“The formulation is unimpeachable.” Unimpeachable? It’s an eyeshadow, not a material witness. Did she mean unsurpassed? Unrivalled? Exemplary?

She’s putting more effort in to her Instagram shilling than her column, and it shows.
Her writing style reminds me of the letter Joey writes to the adoption agency in Friends.

• Haha
Reactions: 17

Wonderful language, English.... taupe as in rope, but taut is like tort. I'm more amused than I should admit at the thought of Sali being upset at people mispronouncing her surname, and will now think of her as Sali Hue-gez ;)

• Haha
The bobbi brown advert made me wince, she is so rough with the skin
She often looks like she's assaulting her face with a brush, not applying makeup.

Had a look at the latest video, boy, she's really going for it

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
It's a bit horrible to Michelle Heaton and Tilda Swinton isn't it? I thought we were the horrible ones.
Posting this again cos it's such a gross thing to say.
(Also did the Guardian really link to her IG? FFS. Her column being used to boost her influencer clout is a low.)
20201031_152545.jpg

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.