Sali Hughes #23 Swipe up Sali!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The column is pointless as it's just an endless pushing of product. There's never any beauty theory or critical thinking, just sell sell sell. I'm sure it won't ever change as the Guardian rely on the affiliates and the so called "Delia effect" Sali has on sales. But yeah, it feels so horribly dated and out of touch with everything now.

Reactions: 10
Well I’ve been reading labmuffin and she recommended humectant (glycerine) and I had a bottle in the baking box. It has made a difference to the dry cuticles. I dabbed it on with a makeup brush then put the oil over it.
Ther’s just so much access to information and content now, there’s no excuse for stale stagnant “part of the furniture” columns

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I see in her latest picture she's gone to pains to ensure that the Missoma tat is all showing. Not tagged though. Clever. Laying the groundwork for a partnership.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
She looks so done in her stories. I honestly believe that nearly all serial botox/ filler users look great for a while and then it all goes a bit death becomes her

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
The BBC guidelines are interesting. Presumably if you go against them then you could get a warning at work or possibly be fired. I think a large number of staff who work on news/factual are careful and it’s the presenters who this is aimed at.
It’s not for light entertainment staff though, plus many LE are not staff, for example Graham Norton’s company makes his show and sells the show to the beeb.

Some good deals on the nuface:

Reactions: 2
The BBC guidelines are interesting. Presumably if you go against them then you could get a warning at work or possibly be fired. I think a large number of staff who work on news/factual are careful and it’s the presenters who this is aimed at.
It’s not for light entertainment staff though, plus many LE are not staff, for example Graham Norton’s company makes his show and sells the show to the beeb.
It will depend on what is written into their contracts. No doubt the new guidelines will be incorporated.

I'm confused by the Bobbi Brown IGTV advert. The ringlight is so bright that I can't see any difference when the foundation, corrector and concealer is applied... her skin looks the same to me :unsure:

Reactions: 4
Notice how there is no mention of the Caroline Hirons launch at all today.
Maybe she is sensible? Who, unless you have a load of spare cash, would endorse 300£ on some face products? You don’t need to spend that amount of money to have effective skin care. 😡
About 3 years ago I bought some knee high boots that were about 250£. Very expensive for me at the time but I have legs that most boots don’t fit. I still really love my boots and they will last at least another 10 years - face mists and serums would have gone months and months ago. CH stuff for me is bonkers and hyping people up - I would rather spend the money on a new winter woolish coat. Not that I’m going anywhere mind.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
@Simplemind I am in the same position as you with boots...my legs are long and regular length knee highs finish about 3 inches below my knee and look ridiculous. Every autumn I am looking for the ones - I’m pretty excited and think I have found them in Russell and Bromley but they are best part of 400 quid... that being said I will be wearing them forever.
Would much prefer to spend my money on something like this. I feel like I’ve got secondary stress from reading the posts on CH’s thread about people’s fomo of the kits 😂 it’s too much. Also a new thread needs starting and that’s stressing me out too 😂😂 as were the iG lives. Sali also has posted about her usual BB tour today so maybe another reason as to why there’s no mention... or she doesn’t want to send traffic CH’s way - because there’s currency in that.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I am in agreement with others above. You really don’t need to spend £££ on skincare to get great results. The Ordinary, as one example, has some fantastic actives from the incredibly good value Glycolic 7% to all the way up to AHA 30% peel. And both are less than a tenner. Excellent Korean and Japanese sunscreens can be bought for around a tenner or slightly more, etc, etc.

I would ALWAYS prioritise investment items like a good quality coat or shoes over 💄 and skincare.

What is Caroline thinking in promoting an offer in the midst of a global pandemic and financial crisis???? Out of touch much??????

• Heart
Reactions: 16
In other news: single eyeshadows. Immensely satisfying, apparently. Oh, and the entire column is about MAC.

• Wow
  • Angry
In other news: single eyeshadows. Immensely satisfying, apparently. Oh, and the entire column is about MAC.
Another rubbish column. Besides offering about as much professional insight as Tommy Fury narrating the next series of Blue Planet, the quality of her copy is suffering because she’s trying to sound fancy.

“Add one eyeliner”. Why not write “Add eyeliner”?

“The formulation is unimpeachable.” Unimpeachable? It’s an eyeshadow, not a material witness. Did she mean unsurpassed? Unrivalled? Exemplary?

She’s putting more effort in to her Instagram shilling than her column, and it shows.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
It’s like when you’re writing an essay when you were at school / college / university and you got the thesaurus out to sound fancy and intelligent.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I came here specifically to write "Brown eyeshadows for autumn. Groundbreaking."

Yes I know that's overused now, but it applies to her lazy, phoned-in column so often.

I have neutral-coolish muted pale skin and amything brown makes me look like I've just been dug up.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Okay I am absolutely fed up with Sali constantly insisting there are colours to suit all skin tones:

"Similar in finish but a whole lot warmer, is Mulch, a deep, reddy brown like that very expensive hot chocolate you get in Christmas markets, only with a light thread of tinsel. I love it on all skin tones, but if you’re a shimmer-free zone....."

Stop peddling this lie Sali, it simply isn't true. Warm colours like the one just mentioned make me look ill. My copy of Colour Me Beautiful arrived during the week and it makes so much sense. I'm a winter and warm colours just don't suit me. It even says in the book that no one looks good in all colours.

A few days before the book arrived I was wearing a red jumper and I couldn't figure out why it looked so crap as red usually suits me. I then realised it's because it's an orange toned red

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I am not convinced about SH’s understanding of colour and colour matching. I often think that her own make up looks are a bit off colour-wise and similar with the clothes she chooses to wear. Part of it is the lighting she uses which IMO is not well execute. I agree with the person who commented on her insta BB video- I watched it and could barely see the difference the product she applied made on her skin. SH also seems to have one eye make up look that has remained the same over the years. A swipe of single eyeshadow and eyeliner around the rims if the eyes. Nothing wrong with it of course, but not exactly groundbreaking.

There is a definite trend for wearing one eyeshadow on the lids recently and if you fancy being inspired Rosie H-W’s beauty website www.roseinc.com features a variety of make up artists and women showcasing a truly modern take on colour. I find RHW’s aesthetics and take on minimalism really cool. Her insta is immense.

Okay I am absolutely fed up with Sali constantly insisting there are colours to suit all skin tones:

"Similar in finish but a whole lot warmer, is Mulch, a deep, reddy brown like that very expensive hot chocolate you get in Christmas markets, only with a light thread of tinsel. I love it on all skin tones, but if you’re a shimmer-free zone....."

Stop peddling this lie Sali, it simply isn't true. Warm colours like the one just mentioned make me look ill. My copy of Colour Me Beautiful arrived during the week and it makes so much sense. I'm a winter and warm colours just don't suit me. It even says in the book that no one looks good in all colours.

A few days before the book arrived I was wearing a red jumper and I couldn't figure out why it looked so crap as red usually suits me. I then realised it's because it's an orange toned red
I honestly think the way she talks about colours/red lipsticks to suit all is her ridiculous way of being iNcLuSiVe. But she basically doesn't explain her reasoning. Then there are really great you tubers out there who explain colour theory, shading, etc. I learn from those people.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.