Sali Hughes #23 Swipe up Sali!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry if anyone has microblading.
I think it’s because it’s a special type of tattoo ink designed to break down (so you’re not stuck with it forever I guess) the ladies I have seen who have had it done (in black) it’s faded over time to a kind of purple. Possibly a lighter shade fades to an orange, perhaps brown.
It’s not for me. Yes I am blooming freezing despite having a lovely epsom bath!
The orangey-brown pigment I saw was on very blonde / slightly red-haired women who had a much lighter brow colour tattooed on to start with. That might explain it. One of them has no eyebrows to speak of, I guess microblading can be really helpful for some people.

If the Epsom salt talk continues I might get influenced and reactivate my bath after 10 years. 🛁😆

Reactions: 1
They have no smell, I use 2 handfuls per bath.

Can someone recommend good lip balm for dry lips please?
You can't beat Lanolips Lemonaid if you've got flakey lips, but if they're just dry, my favourite is honestly Burt's Bees. It's massively underrated, cheap as chips, and better than any fancy one I've tried.
I have just ordered the Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask that people rave about though; I'll report back if it's a winner.

Thanks for the reply re magnesium!

Katie Jane Hughes has the microblading ink shadow thing, and has to cover it with concealer if she's doing her brows in a way that shows the pigment. Doesn't seem worth the hassle!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I live in Canada (hence the name...not the coldest part of Canada, but we do get -20 and lower fairly regularly, so I'm very used to chapped, cracking bleeding paws). I swear by O'Keeffe's. I use the hand cream, foot cream and lip balm #notanad #notaprsample

I also love The Body Shop body butter in shea. Use it on my hands at night. Sometimes if it's especially bad I'll put that on followed by a layer of petroleum jelly to seal it in and put cotton gloves on.

Sorry, pop a cotton glove atop. Anyway, you get the picture.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I know the fugly sandal talk was ages ago in the summer and everyone's moved onto baths but does anyone have any Birkenstock Eva sliders? My beloved wooden Scholls that I wear round the house are starting to split so need replacing. I wear Birkenstock Arizona sandals and find them comfortable. TIA
Bit late to reply, but yes. Love them and especially for writhe the house - less clumpy than the usual ones. But - have you tried the shearling Birkenstock’s? So good!

• Heart
Bit late to reply, but yes. Love them and especially for writhe the house - less clumpy than the usual ones. But - have you tried the shearling Birkenstock’s? So good!
Oh, thank you fir replying. Think I'll get some. I haven't seen the others but I have a thing about my feet getting hot - it makes me really uncomfortable, it's why I normally wear my Scholls year round.

Oh, thank you fir replying. Think I'll get some. I haven't seen the others but I have a thing about my feet getting hot - it makes me really uncomfortable, it's why I normally wear my Scholls year round.
I hear you re hot feet. I have a cracking pair of birkenstocks, they are the double strap Arizonas, wool felt straps and a shearling liner. Bloody lovely. They are my slippers (I always crack when it gets chilly and order another pair of fluffy bootie things, then my feet get hot, sweaty and rank).

Re lip balm - I use Aquaphor, not the specific lip one, the balm in a 45ml tube. I use it every night (don't like anything on my lips in the day, a hangover fron when I smoked) and don't need anything else.

Reactions: 3
Re lip balm - I use Aquaphor, not the specific lip one, the balm in a 45ml tube. I use it every night (don't like anything on my lips in the day, a hangover fron when I smoked) and don't need anything else.
I’ll second aquafor, and the Cerave ointment is also really good (very similar also contains ceramides). I’m all for a multi purpose product! I use it on my hands, elbows and feet before bed, works wonders.

Is that Eucerin Aquaphor? I've been meaning to try that for eczema on my face but I've just bought LRP Cicaplast Baume so giving that a spin first.

Apparently the Cicaplast is also a good multi-purpose one that can be used as a lip balm, and I like Skin Food for that as well (original, not the lip balm).
I’ll second aquafor, and the Cerave ointment is also really good (very similar also contains ceramides). I’m all for a multi purpose product! I use it on my hands, elbows and feet before bed, works wonders.
I don't think the CeraVe ointment is available in the UK. Wish I'd bought it when I was in the US - I got a whole CeraVe haul but somehow missed that one. Really hoping they expand the range that's available here.

I love Aquaphor! I have super sensitive skin that can’t cope with fragrance etc. If anyone has any go-to recommendations for skin like mine I’d love to hear them...

I love Aquaphor! I have super sensitive skin that can’t cope with fragrance etc. If anyone has any go-to recommendations for skin like mine I’d love to hear them...
My skin has been much calmer since I started using Dermol 500 as a facewash, in desperation. I was really surprised as I always thought I 'needed' a foaming wash. I've had no recurrence of eczema and T2 rosacea lesions are finally healing with no new ones. I could cry with relief.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I don't think the CeraVe ointment is available in the UK. Wish I'd bought it when I was in the US - I got a whole CeraVe haul but somehow missed that one. Really hoping they expand the range that's available here.
iherb uk website says its back in stock 4th Nov x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Is CeraVe really good then? They have it in my local pharmacy, not a great range just a few bits. I never paid it much attention as the packaging is so dull, I assumed it was something like Cetaphil.

Moral: Never judge a book by its cover.

Is CeraVe really good then? They have it in my local pharmacy, not a great range just a few bits. I never paid it much attention as the packaging is so dull, I assumed it was something like Cetaphil.

Moral: Never judge a book by its cover.
The packaging is bland, but I dont mind the utilitarian vibe. Its really good value, and dr dray rates it, and dr sam does as a more affordable option. Large boots and often pharmacies will have minis available if you ask. (Unlike most samples these are refillable, and i like being able to easily refil the mini pots for going away / gym)

Lisa Eldridge just did a going to bed with me video and included magnesium salts. #influencedbytattle

Can anyone recommend a home bleach hair kit? I want to just do the ends of my hair to make more of an ombre, and the ends are already beyond repair

Everyone on reddit raves about Cerave. I like the lotion but not the cream in the tub

I got my husband to bring me back a massive tube of the Cerave ointment from the US last time he was there. I wish they would sell more of their range here too, they really do have some great products.

Everyone on reddit raves about Cerave. I like the lotion but not the cream in the tub
I have the tub and I use it as hand cream and it’s good when the skin on the back of my hands gets sore and flaky. I find it a dry cream, if that makes sense, not greasy like hand creams.

Last edited:
The packaging is bland, but I dont mind the utilitarian vibe. Its really good value, and dr dray rates it, and dr sam does as a more affordable option. Large boots and often pharmacies will have minis available if you ask. (Unlike most samples these are refillable, and i like being able to easily refil the mini pots for going away / gym)

Lisa Eldridge just did a going to bed with me video and included magnesium salts. #influencedbytattle

Can anyone recommend a home bleach hair kit? I want to just do the ends of my hair to make more of an ombre, and the ends are already beyond repair
I did this over the summer! I used the L'oreal Colourista Ombre kit for dark hair, worked fine.

Ok, so I’ve just read the razors article. What strikes me is that years ago, the service of SH’s column was that you really felt she’d spent time testing different products. A piece on single eyeshadows for example, would be informative and you got the sense hours of trying out and thinking about colour, formulation, uses for different occasions - including giving products to friends with different skin types. There was the sense that A LOT of work went into that 700 or so words. Now it just feels as if she shoves anything she’s sent that’s half decent into the column without that rigour and testing. It feels much more advertorial than a reader service - where was the comparison between different types of razor, different price points, different times you might need a razor and so on? I really do think there was a point where the guardian beauty column was great, but it has lost its way now. Is it that she can’t be arsed with the effort of all that work anymore? Or just that it’s more lucrative to enter into deals and sponsorships on Instagram and devote her time to that? Not sure why the column annoyed me so much, it was just lazy.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.