Sali Hughes #11 A red lip, a pink tight, a leopard boot - how very singular!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Daughter working in beauty retail (Boots). Came home smelling lovely. I asked what perfume she was wearing and she said ‘all of them!’ Hard work but fun ish.

Reactions: 4
I took the "dark" comment to refer to having to go to work hunger over/suffering from excess. I don't if you know because she doesn't like to mention it but she used work at the Gap in the 90s.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I took it as her absolute inability to separate ‘display empathy‘ with ‘making it all about me’, whilst making sure to ‘separate myself from the working class whilst also pretending I was working class... once’.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
I took it as her absolute inability to separate ‘display empathy‘ with ‘making it all about me’, whilst making sure to ‘separate myself from the working class whilst also pretending I was working class... once’.
Oh, that as well.

I worked in retail over Xmas (and then indeed the bar/restaurant sector) and I wouldn't have described it as dark. Only one episode struck me as a little "dark" when the well known supermarket I worked for sold out very early of turkeys. A miscalculation on the part of ops. I remember it getting fraught in the aisles but most of all one of the store managers being really upset because she was so worried she'd ruined someone's Christmas. I remember telling one customer to roast two chickens in one pan and who would even complain...she looked a little shocked for a second then said "you're right and it'll save me having to drive up to......(wherever other possible backup store was). All seemed to be fine in the end.

Reactions: 6
Working in a supermarket when you are young and studying and have your whole future ahead of you feels very different I am sure to working in a store beyond retirement age because you have no choice. The number of seniors on checkouts here makes me sad ...

Reactions: 14
Hello Tattlers, sorry for interrupting and huge apologies for veering off topic- I came to the party late after Freaky Friday, but since watching the compelling narcissistic rage video have been lurking ever since. I just wanted to say hello, and thank you for all your insightful and entertaining posts since then and all the fantastic beauty tips and suggs.

I’ve been mulling over what has happened as a result of this thread and upon the currency of trust. SH capitalised on the Guardian brand to secure the trust and following of her many fans. She was adamant that she alone could be trusted in the industry as a uniquely ‘honest’ voice in beauty. Most of those who post here were readers of her column and many of us shelled out for products she recommended. Now as an influencer she sells that trust to the highest bidder for ££. Her undeclared many free haircuts and treatments, botox and filler use and duplicitous soft selling of favoured brands is so glaringly obvious now, but was hidden in plain sight for years. Commenting on this doesn’t make you a ‘tragic duck’. People like this deliberately cultivate an intimacy with their readers and profit from it, but when they betray the trust that has been bestowed upon them they can’t understand why people are annoyed - ‘disgruntled’ even - and perhaps want to discuss and query it somewhere.

I wonder if ‘situational narcissism’ might possibly be relevant here? Being deluged with so many freebies for so many years, and being perpetually courted by PRs and luxury brand publicists no doubt enhances any latent narcissistic leanings. Twitter hasn’t helped matters either. This absurd fetish for blue ticker friends and acquaintances was weirdly manifested at her wedding - which seemed to function as some kind of real life Twitter coronation. By the way, I am not at all saying she has any kind of PD here at all - just that the behaviour we're looking at seems to be pretty narcissistic, as does the behaviour of so many other online 'gurus' and influencers.. Why we give our trust away so freely to these people I do not know..

Now the Guardian below-the-line has been closed, this thread provides such a lovely necessary adjunct to the beauty column and I've learnt so much from you all - even bought otc tretinoin from the continent and about to invest in a nu-face mini. Paradoxically, I have also massively reined in my general spending on beauty products after spending time on this thread - a very pleasing and unexpected consequence indeed - thank you all so much!

• Heart
Reactions: 54
For sure. Though I also know two teachers who retired and work at checkouts now and much prefer their life. Obviously, if you have no choice that's rough.

I’ve just bought Pretty Iconic for the kindle as it was 99p. (I’m sorry, I can’t, don’t hate me).
I’m trying to work out if I would have found it so laughable if I hadn’t been on Tattle. It’s absolutely ludicrous, like a parody of someone trying to gain kudos by way of a romanticised working class upbringing. All her “nan’s backstreet salon” and “running away at 15”. 😂 I’m not sure I can bear to finish it.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I’ve just bought Pretty Iconic for the kindle as it was 99p. (I’m sorry, I can’t, don’t hate me).
I’m trying to work out if I would have found it so laughable if I hadn’t been on Tattle. It’s absolutely ludicrous, like a parody of someone trying to gain kudos by way of a romanticised working class upbringing. All her “nan’s backstreet salon” and “running away at 15”. 😂 I’m not sure I can bear to finish it.
Please do and report back with any Sali gems.

Reactions: 2
@Gentle Reader spot on I think. That stuff is The Stuff (for me The big one was the Botox I felt so stupid). The “dark” comment is flip, off the cuff solidarity and doesn’t warrant a thought never mind analysis.

Seems to me where her former fans feel jibbed is on the things described really well above and no it doesn’t make for a bunch of sad fucks.

Happy NYE skiddies!

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays and for those who aren't holidaying - hope all is well and you're not working too hard.

Would love to read that EW piece, looks interesting.

• Heart
That Esther article is interesting. Especially the bit about not mentioning competitors when you have a contract to shill with a brand. I have always wondered why Hirons never mentions Olay - ever. It’s a massive heritage brand, pretty affordable and usually used through the generations. I haven’t really wondered tbh I knew there must be a conflict... it confirms for me that it’s selling that’s going on, not just educating which was my first and quite lasting impression.

Reactions: 17
The Esther Coren piece - fascinating:
  • A regular IG campaign (a few posts, stories) pays 3x a feature article
  • Contracts are ridiculously specific, kills all spontaneity
  • You get forensic level of detail on your performance and must upload evidence of your engagement rates etc
  • Breeds obsession with IG, particularly with comparisons to your peers/others doing the same campaigns
(All specific to Esther and the example campaign she used - Goop - but sounds more or less typical.)

Btw if you love reading and learning about perfume, this twitter thread is heaven:

Attachments

I wonder if SH’s piss is on full boil that Esther has blown the lid on it (and that she didn’t think of doing it). The £ in her eyes must be blinding her, she has big blue ticker salaries to try and keep up with.

it’s all basically what we thought, just nice to see we weren’t overestimating the grubby practices SH has adopted.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.