Running Instagrammers

What’s your normal running (racing) distance?

• Under 5k

Votes: 24 14.0%

Votes: 51 29.7%

Votes: 46 26.7%
  • Under 1/2 marathon

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • 1/2 marathon

Votes: 52 30.2%
  • Under full marathon

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Full marathon

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Ultras

Votes: 12 7.0%

• Total voters
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
(Mods hope this is the correct process and the right place!)

A thread for discussing runners on Instagram to avoid derailing the PMG thread too much.

One thing that’s come up in the PMG thread is that some instarunners just seem to be addicted to marathon training block after marathon training block… does anyone know anybody who actually respects their body?!

I’ve added a poll because I thought it might be interesting to see what distance “normal” people run. Vote for what you’d consider entering as a race or do as your longest run I guess.

Reactions: 1
I don't run at all at the minute because I'm too fat 🤣🤣 but back in the day before I had kids I was a regular runner all distance up to half marathons.

I hate the rise of instarunners, most of them are absolute cockwombles.

I keep trying to find relatable plus size runners but there are few out there in the UK

Reactions: 5
I voted marathon because that was my usual distance until I went up to the ultra distance f***** my Achilles and developed an eating disorder and my cluster headaches basically ruined my life🙃. But you learn, right?

Now I don’t race, my longest run is 8 miles but after 22 years running I too hate the insta craze…. False poses, gifted crap, everything is great when really most runs are just bimbles not “sessions”. Sometimes I run up a hill, sometimes I run fast, sometimes I run slow. It isn’t a fecking session.

Bring on the chat!

Reactions: 2
I got into running after losing a lot of weight and I love it. But then I found running instagrammers and thought I was doing it all wrong lol. I got sucked into the hyped up products with the earphones that were tit and the gels that everyone else had gifted. Then I found tattle and never spent a penny on shite I didn’t need again 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I got into running after losing a lot of weight and I love it. But then I found running instagrammers and thought I was doing it all wrong lol. I got sucked into the hyped up products with the earphones that were tit and the gels that everyone else had gifted. Then I found tattle and never spent a penny on shite I didn’t need again 😂
The Aftershokz? I absolutely love mine 😂 I wear them most days just walking to the shops!

I haven't really found a insta run influencer or whatever swanky term they like to refer to themselves as. They seem to think running is their entire identify, waste an awful lot of money on it and make it seem so unrealistic and unattainable. And the coaching side and online plans etc, massively annoys me, talk about been stressed at work and on calls all day! These people wouldn't cope in the real corporate world/NHS where running is not the priority.
Also i cant stand the obsession over times with some of them. Its all relative i know, but some people will never be capable of running an certain time no matter how much training or money they throw at it, others are naturally/genetically gifted and it comes easy to them, they shouldn't be so smug about it. An example is fitness influencer former high level swimmer Lucy Davis she recently started running and is so smug about her times like 44ish minutes for 10k and 1.40 for half, its just not helpful to give impression thats the norm.

And trainers/equipment/tech etc, the need for carbon plated shoes or whatever they are, Matt from the Welshrunner shared a paper reviewing the difference in time and it came out at around 2% but do they recognise how many other variables have impact on time, like body weight, diet, nutrition, strategies, hydration etc. If you have the money to spare on £200 plus pair of shoes go ahead but if they only last 400ish mile and some of these guys are doing 80 mile week its must be so expensive. Yes you need properly fitted shoes but what's wrong with last reasons reduced style for £50

• Heart
My preferred race distance is half marathon, I like the challenge but the training doesn't massively disrupt my life.
Otherwise I like to run 10ks. And parkruns, they're my favourites 😊
Currently tapering for Manchester marathon though, let the maranoia begin!

Reactions: 3
And trainers/equipment/tech etc, the need for carbon plated shoes or whatever they are, Matt from the Welshrunner shared a paper reviewing the difference in time and it came out at around 2% but do they recognise how many other variables have impact on time, like body weight, diet, nutrition, strategies, hydration etc. If you have the money to spare on £200 plus pair of shoes go ahead but if they only last 400ish mile and some of these guys are doing 80 mile week its must be so expensive. Yes you need properly fitted shoes but what's wrong with last reasons reduced style for £50
That paper had a tiny sample size and hasn’t been peer reviewed yet. Not sure Matt really understands “science”.

However, he does like to “roll the dice” and “go all in” on every single session and every single race (with a new pair of vaporfly 2% to help of course 😉).

I’ll just keep wearing my brooks ghosts until every single pair of trainers has one of those carbon plates in and then I will run in my Adidas campus.

I haven't really found a insta run influencer or whatever swanky term they like to refer to themselves as. They seem to think running is their entire identify, waste an awful lot of money on it and make it seem so unrealistic and unattainable. And the coaching side and online plans etc, massively annoys me, talk about been stressed at work and on calls all day! These people wouldn't cope in the real corporate world/NHS where running is not the priority.
Also i cant stand the obsession over times with some of them. Its all relative i know, but some people will never be capable of running an certain time no matter how much training or money they throw at it, others are naturally/genetically gifted and it comes easy to them, they shouldn't be so smug about it. An example is fitness influencer former high level swimmer Lucy Davis she recently started running and is so smug about her times like 44ish minutes for 10k and 1.40 for half, its just not helpful to give impression thats the norm.

I think there's probably a middle ground somewhere but those people don't get exposure or follows because they are just 'average'. Asics, Brookes, Nike don't want 'average' advertising their stuff.

Anecdotally I know a girl who does Crossfit 3 times a week, never does any cardio. She got signed up to our local half marathon which is quite hilly with three weeks notice as a joke by her boyfriend and ended up doing a sub 1:45 1/2. Some people are like you say, naturally built for running!

Regarding the carbon shoes - OH was (not seriously) looking at the carbon plated Hokas for his next shoe. He went on youtube and almost every review said that the tread was wearing to the point of showing the carbon plates within 150 miles :eek:

No I bought jaybirds and they lasted about 3 months. Customer services didn’t give a tit and suddenly the brand ambassadors weren’t interested
Oh that's a shame! There's definitely so many trends in the instarunning community that aren't worth the material they're made of let alone the hefty price tag. Suunto watches and flipbelts also spring to mind.

My preferred race distance is half marathon, I like the challenge but the training doesn't massively disrupt my life.
Otherwise I like to run 10ks. And parkruns, they're my favourites 😊
Currently tapering for Manchester marathon though, let the maranoia begin!
Best of luck! Yes, the 1/2 distance is nice for a decent long run at the weekend but not needing to put in 40+ mile weeks.

Oh that's a shame! There's definitely so many trends in the instarunning community that aren't worth the material they're made of let alone the hefty price tag. Suunto watches and flipbelts also spring to mind.

Best of luck! Yes, the 1/2 distance is nice for a decent long run at the weekend but not needing to put in 40+ mile weeks.
Thanks! The hard bit is done, so I just need not to hurt myself in the next few weeks 😂

Ah I disagree re flipbelts, I love mine. But when I bought it there weren't many cheaper alternatives and I probably wouldn't buy the actual branded one now. Thankfully I have two, because I thought I'd lost mine and then found it in a suitcase whilst packing for another race 🤦🏻‍♀️

Thanks! The hard bit is done, so I just need not to hurt myself in the next few weeks 😂

Ah I disagree re flipbelts, I love mine. But when I bought it there weren't many cheaper alternatives and I probably wouldn't buy the actual branded one now. Thankfully I have two, because I thought I'd lost mine and then found it in a suitcase whilst packing for another race 🤦🏻‍♀️
Trouble I find with my flipbelt is because I have a very sizeable behind, and quite a small waist, it doesn't stay in place or sit properly on me. And the only time I managed to get it to sit right it rubbed two spots on my back :( I'm thinking of selling mine tbh, I prefer a back pack.

I think everyone likes their own stuff. I had an “argument” with a guy in the charity shop the other day because he basically said my coros was tit.

I told him that to get the same battery life as my coros I would have to spend £££ on a garmin. Turns out he was an Ironman (with leg tattoo) who had the top of the range garmin and he had swum 2 miles and run 10 that morning.

I had attempted to run 4 with the dog but felt like tit. I should have posted…. “4 easy in the bank”

Yawn.

Reactions: 3
Trouble I find with my flipbelt is because I have a very sizeable behind, and quite a small waist, it doesn't stay in place or sit properly on me. And the only time I managed to get it to sit right it rubbed two spots on my back :( I'm thinking of selling mine tbh, I prefer a back pack.
Ah yeah I can understand that. I absolutely hate anything moving around, it's such a distraction.

There are some balanced running IGs who live full and normal lives and fit training around their life. But there are way too many who do too many races, too much hypocrisy and are just irritating beyond belief.

I must be an advertisers worst nightmare as the moment someone gets gifted something and posts become ads, I skip past the posts, frequently unfollow and it puts me off buying their product! Running should not be expensive and therefore exclusive. It does my head in!

Reactions: 9
I think there's probably a middle ground somewhere but those people don't get exposure or follows because they are just 'average'. Asics, Brookes, Nike don't want 'average' advertising their stuff.

Anecdotally I know a girl who does Crossfit 3 times a week, never does any cardio. She got signed up to our local half marathon which is quite hilly with three weeks notice as a joke by her boyfriend and ended up doing a sub 1:45 1/2. Some people are like you say, naturally built for running!

Regarding the carbon shoes - OH was (not seriously) looking at the carbon plated Hokas for his next shoe. He went on youtube and almost every review said that the tread was wearing to the point of showing the carbon plates within 150 miles :eek:

Brooks/Asics seem to throw the token overweight and average runner into their campaigns to tick an inclusivity box but it's just tokenism for sure.

Reactions: 7
Not up for watching Flora Beverley casually crack out first female at a 10k race that she started at the back of, filmed herself chatting most of the way round and didn't know what pace she was running for the first 5k... :rolleyes:

I like merrell barefoot shoes as I run on my tip toes and hate trainers with heavy/bulky heals, don't hear many people use them and they are far from flattering especially on short legs, I'm tempted to try Altra next as they are zero drop and seem more popular/decent reviews

Does anyone else find the YouTube channels that various running influencers have really cringy and self indulgent?

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Loved my back pack, though summer training means it has rubbed and i have a few scars on my back and sides now. Tried my boyfriend's pack last weekend and it worked a treat. Typical me trying to buy a cheap one from decathlon...!!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.