Running #2 PF is a pain in the calf

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How was everyone's weekend of running?

I raced a half yesterday, and got a pb by 4 minutes! So very chuffed with that 😁

But two strange body things I wanted to see if anyone else has had...

First off, I've raced 4 halves before & I've never had this before despite wearing the same shorts each time - my belly button is so chafed, absolutely red raw and bloody. 😂 I think I must've accidentally had a bit of the shorts drawstring, er, inside my belly button the whole time and just not realised?! So that's a new thing to check before the marathon

And otherwise, in the last 5k of a fast half I always get a whole body tingly sensation. It's not a bad sensation, but it's very distinct and quite strong. I was looking it up last night and seems it be related to having relatively low blood pressure / not being able to get as much oxygen as you'd ideally have? So that's interesting, because I have always had really low blood pressure. Maybe I need to be careful I don't push myself to fainting point - but then again, I've never fainted in my life, even after giving blood and the like.

Anyway, essay over 😅
When I started running - I don't get it so much any more, but very occasionally - I'd get itchy all over especially if I was pushing hard which sounds like the same thing. Really irritating. Could be a low blood sugar issue as well, maybe look at your fuelling?

Reactions: 1
When I started running - I don't get it so much any more, but very occasionally - I'd get itchy all over especially if I was pushing hard which sounds like the same thing. Really irritating. Could be a low blood sugar issue as well, maybe look at your fuelling?
I get that too, the itchiness! Especially on my face. I think maybe that for me is related to the salt crust that's forming irritating my skin 😅 Hmm could be blood sugar, I have a gel every 30 mins though so not sure how much I could up it from there

Can someone talk to me about shin splints please? Is the pain in your actual shin bone? I have a pain on the inside of my leg, but feels more muscular than the actual bone - worse when walking / running downhill. It near enough goes once warmed up and I then only feel it on the downhills.

Can someone talk to me about shin splints please? Is the pain in your actual shin bone? I have a pain on the inside of my leg, but feels more muscular than the actual bone - worse when walking / running downhill. It near enough goes once warmed up and I then only feel it on the downhills.
I am just getting over shin splints. I didn’t know if it was bone or muscle at first but honestly all you can do is stretches and strengthening! Plus something that works for both - in the shower let cold water on your shin, then hot, then cold. My physio told me and honestly it workeddd. Do it for 3-4 mins and half a min per temp at once! I have so many tips lol xD I have had almost all possible running injuries hahaha

I am just getting over shin splints. I didn’t know if it was bone or muscle at first but honestly all you can do is stretches and strengthening! Plus something that works for both - in the shower let cold water on your shin, then hot, then cold. My physio told me and honestly it workeddd. Do it for 3-4 mins and half a min per temp at once! I have so many tips lol xD I have had almost all possible running injuries hahaha
Thank you! I think this is overuse from RED Jan. :rolleyes: I thought it was something that just new runners got,but obviously not.

I've tweaked my bloody ITB again. A few years (4 or 5) ago I had a recurring ITB problem, which was eventually solved with a lot of rest and acupuncture. It was fine for a long time - I ran several halfs and a full marathon with no issues. It's been groaning recently but I put it down to doing too much at the gym and thought it was easing off... until I did some sprints last night and it's started pulling really badly again. With some rest it feels a bit better but I'm worried this will be the start of yet another long time off with an injury.

I don't know what else I can do about this - I've been strength training more than I've been running, I don't run more than two days in a row any more, been slowly increasing my mileage and I only run one 10k since May 2021, which I've built up to slowly over the last 7 months of returning to running post baby. Feels like every time I get on a good streak with fitness I end up injured somewhere. First it was the ITB, then it was my (opposite side) ankle tendonitis, then knee pain, then plantar fasciitis. Fed up!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I've tweaked my bloody ITB again. A few years (4 or 5) ago I had a recurring ITB problem, which was eventually solved with a lot of rest and acupuncture. It was fine for a long time - I ran several halfs and a full marathon with no issues. It's been groaning recently but I put it down to doing too much at the gym and thought it was easing off... until I did some sprints last night and it's started pulling really badly again. With some rest it feels a bit better but I'm worried this will be the start of yet another long time off with an injury.

I don't know what else I can do about this - I've been strength training more than I've been running, I don't run more than two days in a row any more, been slowly increasing my mileage and I only run one 10k since May 2021, which I've built up to slowly over the last 7 months of returning to running post baby. Feels like every time I get on a good streak with fitness I end up injured somewhere. First it was the ITB, then it was my (opposite side) ankle tendonitis, then knee pain, then plantar fasciitis. Fed up!
That is so frustrating. The only time I’ve felt genuinely injury free post baby is when I stretch properly almost every day. If I don’t, something random flares up every few months. It is honestly the only thing that has helped me. Might be worth a try

I actually found that one of the straps meant for that problem with a little block on it actually did wonders for my ITB, it really relieved it while it was at it's worst and then it went away by itself over time. I'm just coming back after 6 weeks off with shin splints, which I've never had in 8 years of running. I missed it so much!

Running friends 👋 my 5k PB was 2019, I was a bit thinner, obviously I'm a bit older now, I'm late 40s. What do you think the chances of getting back there are? Should I write that off and set a new target?

I've been a bit inconsistent with training so it's not as though I have been training well for 5 years but I'm getting much better lately.

I got a 5k PB just before Christmas despite being in my 50s. I’ve got faster with menopause! I had really heavy periods throughout my younger life.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Running friends 👋 my 5k PB was 2019, I was a bit thinner, obviously I'm a bit older now, I'm late 40s. What do you think the chances of getting back there are? Should I write that off and set a new target?

I've been a bit inconsistent with training so it's not as though I have been training well for 5 years but I'm getting much better lately.
Maybe set some lower interim targets but now reason you cannot get there and even beat your old target! Go girl!