Ruby Granger #3 Call Me By My Scientific Names And I'll Still Play Children's Games

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That book journal sounds and looks like such a great and inspiring idea! I have crappy handwriting and craft skills so my go-to is Goodreads, but seeing this has inspired me to maybe make some picture moodboards of the books that inspire more visual images in me. I read anywhere from 1 to 10 books a month, really depends on the month, and usually anywhere between 40 to 70 in a year, again depending on the year. I love coming to this thread not only for the gossip but for the fascinating conversations we often have about values and interests like @coffeehead mentioned. Books are my biggest passion so it's even better!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
A book journal??? That sounds amazing. Now I’d watch a video on that 😂 what e a fly do you but in it? Summary or impressions or thoughts as you go along? Genuinely interested!

Also I hate those readathons as she never goes into depth about the book... like do I buy it or not? What’s it even about? And sorry but children’s books at 20, fine for every now and then but why constantly?! I also tried to reread Harry Potter at 18 and I just couldn’t do it as the language and style was just off (not how I remembered it😂
Yeah the Harry Potter books are amazing but unfortunately they're not as good when you're an adult. My boyfriend has never read the books and actually wanted to try and read them but I warned him that the language would be a little too young for him. I mean, I read the first book when I was 6, it can't be that interesting for an adult.
And this is Harry Potter, a fantasy series with pretty interesting worldbuilding and a complex plot and "serious" themes. I can't imagine how boring the books Ruby reads must be for an adult.

Reactions: 5
This is a weird question but is that picture of one of those doll babies? And is that what the book is about? I’m fascinated with women who have those dolls so that would be interesting!
Celestial has a business selling expensive doll babies - it's not the main plotline but it ends up being quite important symbolically. I think you'd like this book! I found it so difficult to put down...

That book journal sounds and looks like such a great and inspiring idea! I have crappy handwriting and craft skills so my go-to is Goodreads, but seeing this has inspired me to maybe make some picture moodboards of the books that inspire more visual images in me. I read anywhere from 1 to 10 books a month, really depends on the month, and usually anywhere between 40 to 70 in a year, again depending on the year. I love coming to this thread not only for the gossip but for the fascinating conversations we often have about values and interests like @coffeehead mentioned. Books are my biggest passion so it's even better!
Ahh maybe we should have a book forum somewhere! Maybe we can take over Ruby's book club 😂 I feel like we are already doing more on that front than she is, just based on this discussion...

Reactions: 12
ruby granger #4: "exceptionally" british, snotty, and colonizing the neighbors garden by three.

• Heart
Ruby Granger #4: Please, sir, may I have some more [priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity]?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
Ruby Granger #4 And Today I Am Going To Be Talking About Quantity Beats Quality.

She is not a bookworm!!! I am so done with her. A real bookworm would read at least alllll kinds of books. But she can’t even get out of her comfort zone and she only reads child books. For me, it’s unacceptable to not be able count a couple Russian authors. Unbelievable. You are a lit student, bro. Get out of your room, go to the fcking library and dive into some classical aisle of other languages. You are so narrow-minded. Open your horizon ffs.

Reactions: 18
Ahh maybe we should have a book forum somewhere! Maybe we can take over Ruby's book club 😂 I feel like we are already doing more on that front than she is, just based on this discussion...
I follow her on GoodReads and it seems like all her recent reviews are 5 stars... not very critical!

I follow her on GoodReads and it seems like all her recent reviews are 5 stars... not very critical!
It's either 5 stars (liked it) or 1 star (didn't like it) lmao

@July9696 Here is an example of one of my reading journal pages! I'm honestly amazed that Ruby hasn't yet released a Pumpkin Productivity 'reading journal'...

The most recent 'true or false' was her saying how much she loved all the sciences at school. No mention of astrophysics though 😂
This is amazing, I'm definitely going to steal this idea haha

Reactions: 4
@July9696 Here is an example of one of my reading journal pages! I'm honestly amazed that Ruby hasn't yet released a Pumpkin Productivity 'reading journal'...

The most recent 'true or false' was her saying how much she loved all the sciences at school. No mention of astrophysics though 😂
Wow, thank you for sharing, I really appreciate that 😍 I’m just finishing my first book of 2021 (slow compared to Ruby 😐) so am going to start one!

On another topic, I was doing some stuff for work and was reading about teaching the importance of time management for children 4years to 10 years and it immediately made me think of Ruby 😂 I can never decide if it’s bad time management with her or if it’s intentional but it’s seriously no way to live 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 3
On another topic, I was doing some stuff for work and was reading about teaching the importance of time management for children 4years to 10 years and it immediately made me think of Ruby 😂 I can never decide if it’s bad time management with her or if it’s intentional but it’s seriously no way to live 🤦🏻‍♀️
I don’t think it’s necessarily poor time management with Ruby, it’s more of an obsession with performative productivity - she spends so much time on the mechanics of being productive (writing a list, writing a sub-list of the list, decorating the list, rewriting the list) that I’m always a bit surprised that she actually has time to work. I think it’s partly that she does seem to have a lot of time as she isn’t really balancing her uni work with anything else, like a part-time job or managing a home - she does have time to fill so she fills it with all this stuff that isn’t really necessary (other than for it making nice content).

OK I don't want to be too harsh because these were written a few years ago, but it's published material designed to 'help' others so....I was reading some of her literary analysis on grangerlifestyle, and it wasn't particularly great. She wrote a blog post on 'The Emigree' (https://mygrangerlifestyle.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/the-emigree-brief-response/) and concluded with: "Rumen’s message is simple: all immigrants and refugees have lives, pasts, families and memories: we must treat refugees/immigrants with respect" when it's actually a really messy poem about the gap between perception & reality, past & present, trauma, loss.....and she talks a lot about the third stanza, but she only has one interpretation (that the 'they' is people in the speaker's new country), even though it's ambiguous and could also refer to her home country. She also picked up on the speaker's 'innocence' and suggests that she is 'feeling lost' and 'confused' by other people's hostility, which I don't think is evident in the poem at all. She made some good points but it was a very B grade sort of response.

Her 'GCSE and A Level thesis statement exemplars' (https://mygrangerlifestyle.wordpress.com/2017/05/30/gcse-and-a-level-thesis-statement-exemplars/) were worse in that she is explicitly positioning them as something to copy/emulate. "When Shakespeare directs Leontes [Aside] in Act I, Scene 2, every audience sees a visceral, sexually explicit blizzard of jealousy as he announces his suspicions of Hermione’s infidelity." Aside from the weird extended snow metaphor that she continues in this paragraph, how does she know what 'every audience' would see? How can Shakespeare be directing Leontes? Leontes isn't an actor, he's a character. A playwright doesn't 'direct' a character, and audience responses will vary massively depending on the context in which the play is performed and received. And does she mean a reader or a stage audience?

It's very formulaic and repetitive - these are lines lifted from two different Winter's Tale thesis statements: "To assess how important a role jealousy plays in The Winter’s Tale, one must consider...", " To assess whether blood really is thicker than water, one must consider...". It's clear that this is something she was taught to stick to rigidly. Ironically, I can't see any actual argument in her thesis statements at all - she provides a general introduction, but she hasn't actually outlined her stance on the question. This is from her introduction to an essay on A Doll's House: " One must consider “cheerfulness”, Nora’s role as a mother and her conversation with Mrs Linde if they are to begin to answer the question: is happiness ever presented?" Again, the formulaic, 'one must consider', and she hasn't actually outlined her argument, i.e. the extent to which happiness is presented in the play.

If I found out that my students were using Ruby's blog to help improve their writing, I'd not be thrilled - there are far better examples provided by exam boards for public view. It's hard to tell from a snippet of writing, but I would not be giving very high marks to any of the stuff above.

Reactions: 13
the way she goes about time management is bad. time management as a whole can be good and helpful for some, but it isnt for everyone. personally i never get on with time management, i dont have important things to do in my day so i dont really time when to play animal crossing or read a book. i just do it whenever i feel like it. however, if you like having you day schedule, or have 'important' stuff like meetings, working from home and finds it easier to plan your day based around that, its fine.

its just ruby uses her time management to the core. she basically times her whole day down to the minutes which the only person ive seen doing this was my cousin who has OCD (they think that if they do not follow it perfectly something horrible will happen to them).

i think its interesting how Ruby plans her day like an 'adult' would, but acts child-like. i think shes stuck in between.

In her latest video she's huddled by the fire and saying she feels the cold so easily... girl, put some socks on! And you're wearing short sleeves!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
c.f her new video: she looks like she is freezing all the time... I can't help but think it's wrong
2 min in, she has 1) sat by the oven, 2) read in her room wrapped in a blanket, 3) sat by the fire
wear a sweater? her small portions of food can't be helping either, I'm concerned that porridge was like three big spoons that she chewed 40 times each.... I can't be the only one to see it

Reactions: 8
Her new video seemed to talk about everything that's been covered recently on this thread ... also she's reading outside again 😭

• Haha
Reactions: 9
HIGH PRODUCTIVE, oh give over, at the weekend I have a slob about because do you know what ruby, you need that to rest and recharge from the week, even if it’s not on a weekend you need that to give your brain a break

• Haha
Reactions: 13
This isn't really a serious point, it just bugs me, but I feel absolutely zero love for her dog(s?) in her videos. Maybe mine is just super needy, but whenever I go outside, especially for a walk, as much as possible he comes with me. I'm always petting him when he's in the room. I think, before I even came to this thread, this was always one of the weird minor pet peeves of mine regarding her content. I guess she just isn't really a dog person.

EDIT: Just saw she played with the dog a tiny bit in the vlog, maybe I'm wrong ... it still bugs me.

She mentions went to bed at 21:30 but couldn't sleep until 5? I have trouble falling asleep too but that is very extreme....

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I didn't really notice Ruby's usage of words until today's video when she said "google computer." Do people not use the term "chromebook" in the UK?

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.