Ruby Granger #18 Still no deal with Waterstones but half her food was mailed from home

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The “this was fun” in brackets in the title and the dead-pan no smile thumbs up in the thumbnail are soooo convincing that she’s actually enjoying herself though 😂🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I hate being judgmental of other people's uni work and whether it's "too easy" or whatever because what the hell do I know. But this Dickens project she was doing does sound a bit juvenile for a Bachelor's degree in English Literature?
Also as someone else previously commented on here, their idea of a Dickens-themed escape room/murder mystery doesn't sound like it's super relevant to his novels.

I'm sorry but she just said the most idiotic thing I've ever heard in my life.
She said: "This quote could just as readily be applied to our workaholism culture today where the first question we ask anyone is not 'how are you' or 'what's your name', it's usually 'what do you do'."

Lmao yeah sure whenever I meet someone new I wanna know what they do before I even know their name. I don't know maybe this is normal in the Tory environment she grew up in but I definitely cannot relate to this. Maybe if she socialized more she'd realize this too

Last edited:
Reactions: 31
I hate being judgmental of other people's uni work and whether it's "too easy" or whatever because what the hell do I know. But this Dickens project she was doing does sound a bit juvenile for a Bachelor's degree in English Literature?
Also as someone else previously commented on here, their idea of a Dickens-themed escape room/murder mystery doesn't sound like it's super relevant to his novels.
I'm surprised that it's a third year module (or a module at all really). I wonder how many of her modules were like this. For example I remember her dressing up for a presentation....(can't remember if that was compulsory though lol) Lack of academic rigour would explain why she's breezing through the degree. There are probably more difficult modules that she's avoiding. I also think it's pretty grim that they'd let her turn Dickens's anger at the grinding poverty and exploitation in London into a stupid escape room game. To me this suggests that she fundamentally doesn't understand Dickens or what he was writing about.

Reactions: 20
Thank God October is over and she'll stop talking about how much she loves it now

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Thank God October is over and she'll stop talking about how much she loves it now
Yeah but she’s going to be dialing up the Nutcracker/instrumental xmas music to 11, so we’re really not winning here bestie

• Haha
Reactions: 37
"The Child Poverty Action Group estimates that 4.3 million children in the UK are living in poverty today, which is shocking. Anyway thank you Merchant Gourmet for your gifted food package"

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 37
she criticizes workaholism culture when she's made her money from it

Reactions: 31

She said: "This quote could just as readily be applied to our workaholism culture today where the first question we ask anyone is not 'how are you' or 'what's your name', it's usually 'what do you do'."

Lmao yeah sure whenever I meet someone new I wanna know what they do before I even know their name. I don't know maybe this is normal in the Tory environment she grew up in but I definitely cannot relate to this. Maybe if she socialized more she'd realize this too
Everything that Ruby is coming out with at the moment sounds like some sort of well-being waffle that she’s either read or been told. However, as is typical with Ruby, she hasn’t really understood it but she thinks she has, and she’s now trying to sound profound by sharing her nuggets of wisdom that don’t actually make much sense. She never seems to give herself time to really understand or process anything before assuming that she’s totally got it, and it just makes her sound a bit silly.

Reactions: 16
I remember someone else mentioning that this type of work - making literature accessible to a modern audience - was something they did during an MA, and I can see that. Something more in depth than this group project, eg the type of thing that would get used in a museum exhibition on Dickens or something, seems to have academic value to me. This though, when combined with the dressing up presentation she did last year, does feel like bullshit lol. During my undergrad I had one non essay based assessment, because the module was on performance theory, so we had to create a performance based around what we were studying, which made sense. For my MA all my assessments are writing based. I absolutely believe that Exeter is a great uni, I know some seriously smart people who went there, but it does feel like she’s deliberately choosing easy classes. I find it impossible to believe that the ways she’s being assessed on her particular modules are actually helping her develop the academic skills she’d need for further study. I just think she’s an awful advert for the uni, because her success really does make it look like Exeter doesn’t have the highest academic standards - which I don’t think is true, judging by the people I know who went there, but Christ this group project looks like something I’d have been made to do in Year 9 lmao

• Heart
Reactions: 18
BTW I remember a few pages ago some people saying she left Pipers Corner and went to college aged 16, but an article on website describes her as the Head Girl and in the Upper Sixth. So she stayed there, no doubt to be coddled and primed for top unis in a way that wouldn't happen at a state school.

Reactions: 2
BTW I remember a few pages ago some people saying she left Pipers Corner and went to college aged 16, but an article on website describes her as the Head Girl and in the Upper Sixth. So she stayed there, no doubt to be coddled and primed for top unis in a way that wouldn't happen at a state school.
They were on about Martha

Reactions: 11

I agree, "What do you do?" isn't a question asked in the UK when you first meet someone, at least not in my experience. Maybe it's something that's more prevalent in the USA and would be a valid criticism there, but I don't think it is here, it feels a bit intrusive, it's pretty much asking how much money you earn.

Reactions: 13
I agree, "What do you do?" isn't a question asked in the UK when you first meet someone, at least not in my experience. Maybe it's something that's more prevalent in the USA and would be a valid criticism there, but I don't think it is here, it feels a bit intrusive, it's pretty much asking how much money you earn.
Exactly, can't say I've ever heard of that being asked before being asked what your name is? For 99% of people that would be considered weird and a bit rude, maybe in the upper echelons of society populated by Rubys it's more common.

I would see it as a bit of a red flag if someone asked me that before even asking my name - shows their priorities.

Reactions: 8
I think that the project in its essence is actually a valuable and worthwhile task - applying knowledge in a more practical setting forces deeper analysis and understanding than just parroting critics' views about Dickens in an essay (I'm an English student too so not hating on the arts, just Ruby's failsafe method!) and these are the kind of skills that will transfer to jobs - teamworking, coming up with a brief, creative interpretation and an understanding of contemporary issues etc. Although when Ruby mentioned the brief I did think more along the lines of community work helping the homeless or those on the poverty line moreso than an escape room.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.