Rosacea / Acne Rosacea

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi All

I was wondering if there are any fellow rosacea sufferers on here. I am getting at my wits end.

I have always suffered quite severely with facial flushing brought on by things like alcohol, heat etc. As I have got older it has gradually got worse and I have real deep set redness now on my cheeks and reddening of my nose alongside broken capillaries. I have noticed of late it now appears to be turning into acne rosacea and I am convinced it is from sun exposure as I do a lot of running and walking. I’m honestly at a loss as to what to do. I never used to get spots but my cheeks are covered.

I have a few questions! What products do you use and what do you absolutely avoid? Can you suggest an spf which won’t aggravate my skin? Would you recommend going to a dermatologist, can medications be prescribed? Are there any foods I need to avoid?

Just a break down of what I use, if there is anything I need to remove, add in please let me know.

Morning
Paulas choice calming cleanser
BHA 1% (I’m going to change this to evening)
First aid beauty ultra repair cream

Evening
Sunday Riley Juno face oil every other night / first aid beauty ultra repair on the other night
Dr Jarts tiger grass sleepair intensive mask

Really just need some advice as my confidence is super low from this!

Thanks x

Hi All

I was wondering if there are any fellow rosacea sufferers on here. I am getting at my wits end.

I have always suffered quite severely with facial flushing brought on by things like alcohol, heat etc. As I have got older it has gradually got worse and I have real deep set redness now on my cheeks and reddening of my nose alongside broken capillaries. I have noticed of late it now appears to be turning into acne rosacea and I am convinced it is from sun exposure as I do a lot of running and walking. I’m honestly at a loss as to what to do. I never used to get spots but my cheeks are covered.

I have a few questions! What products do you use and what do you absolutely avoid? Can you suggest an spf which won’t aggravate my skin? Would you recommend going to a dermatologist, can medications be prescribed? Are there any foods I need to avoid?

Just a break down of what I use, if there is anything I need to remove, add in please let me know.

Morning
BHA 1% (I’m going to change this to evening)
First aid beauty ultra repair cream

Evening
Sunday Riley Juno face oil every other night / first aid beauty ultra repair on the other night
Dr Jarts tiger grass sleepair intensive mask

Really just need some advice as my confidence is super low from this!

Thanks x
Hi there - I don't suffer from this myself, but my boyfriend does and swears by La Roche Posay Rosaliac range!

Reactions: 1
Hi, I suffer from rosacea and have had great success with a prescription cream called Soolantra. The difference it has made has been amazing. I buy mine online from The Independent Pharmacy - they are totally legit, run by qualified pharmacists and registered with the CQC etc. I pay £35.99 plus a delivery charge and it comes to a out £40 all in (it may be available on prescription from your GP, not sure). Before they prescribe it for you the first time you will have to complete an online questionnaire and provide photos of your skin. I am thrilled with the results.

• Heart
Hi there, I suffer with it too ❤

There’s different treatments available for it - soolantra as mentioned above is the newest one available and apparently very effective. Otherwise there’s azelaic acid in the form of finacea or skinoren - both prescription strength available from The Independent Pharmacy or Boots Online Acne clinic.

I would avoid acids until it is under control and concentrate on soothing and hydrating your skin. La Roche Posay is a fantastic brand for sensitive skin. Also Avene.

SPF wise, try Korean/Japanese SPFs they are a game changer. SPFs over here are sticky, greasy and heavy on the skin. Korean/Japanese are completely different - they’re like watery/gel beautiful textures that just sink into the skin leaving no residue.

Don’t know if you’ve heard of Dr Sam Bunting and Dr Dray but if not, search them on YouTube 👌🏻

Feel free to message me if you have any questions xxx

Hi there, I suffer with it too ❤

There’s different treatments available for it - soolantra as mentioned above is the newest one available and apparently very effective. Otherwise there’s azelaic acid in the form of finacea or skinoren - both prescription strength available from The Independent Pharmacy or Boots Online Acne clinic.

I would avoid acids until it is under control and concentrate on soothing and hydrating your skin. La Roche Posay is a fantastic brand for sensitive skin. Also Avene.

SPF wise, try Korean/Japanese SPFs they are a game changer. SPFs over here are sticky, greasy and heavy on the skin. Korean/Japanese are completely different - they’re like watery/gel beautiful textures that just sink into the skin leaving no residue.

Don’t know if you’ve heard of Dr Sam Bunting and Dr Dray but if not, search them on YouTube 👌🏻

Feel free to message me if you have any questions xxx
Thank you so so much to you and @PoleStar

I am definitely going to order that soolantra and see how I get on with it. If it doesn’t improve my skin then i think I will go to the doctors. I have PCOS which I’m not using supplements to help with so hopefully that will go some way to reducing it.
It honestly is awful at times and makes me so self conscious!!!x

Thank you so so much to you and @PoleStar

I am definitely going to order that soolantra and see how I get on with it. If it doesn’t improve my skin then i think I will go to the doctors. I have PCOS which I’m not using supplements to help with so hopefully that will go some way to reducing it.
It honestly is awful at times and makes me so self conscious!!!x
I also have PCOS! I think we could be twins 🤣

Just looking at the soolantra and it says to use it once a day. So I think I’ll look at using my PC cleanser and FAB moisturiser and AM and then using the soolantra at night as I would a night cream. Does this seem right?x

I also have PCOS! I think we could be twins 🤣
Yes!!!!! It’s a bloody nightmare isn’t it. I’ve starting taking inafolic alpha!!! But why other suggestions you have please throw my way hahaHa!!xx

Just looking at the soolantra and it says to use it once a day. So I think I’ll look at using my PC cleanser and FAB moisturiser and AM and then using the soolantra at night as I would a night cream. Does this seem right?x

Yes!!!!! It’s a bloody nightmare isn’t it. I’ve starting taking inafolic alpha!!! But why other suggestions you have please throw my way hahaHa!!xx
Do you cleanse day and night? I would cleanse AM then moisturise, then PM cleanse, soolantra, wait at least 5 minutes for it to absorb then you can moisturise 😊

I’ve not heard of inafolic alpha until about half hour ago on the PCOS thread haha. I’m gonna have to google it! Tbf I’m so bad with my PCOS I don’t take anything for it. I have inositol so I think I’m gonna start taking that regularly now.
I used to have 1 or 2 periods a year but weirdly in the last 8 months I’ve become regular, no idea why! The longest time between a period now is 5 weeks

I got acne rosacea a month before I hit 30, that’s when it usually sets in.
tried chemical peels and burnt myself in desperation of putting loads of product on and had huge scabs on my face.
Acnecide cream cleaned it up in two weeks and it’s never returned.

I still have rosacea of course.
When I don’t want a full face of foundation I use green stuff from L’Oréal which evens it out!

Attachments

Yep I cleanse with Paulas choice calming cleanser - I really really love it. Ah so you can put cream on top of the soolantra rather than using it as a moisturiser? I have just placed an order - can’t wait to start using it!!!

My period are regular really but since ive lost 1.5 stone my symptoms have worsened when it should deffo be the other way around. I’m wondering if that’s partly why my skin has gone absolutely mental. But I do definitely think it’s the sun. I am NOT a sun worshiper at all but I do a lot of out foor exercise which I think has caused jt. When I exercise I go puce!!!!x

I got acne rosacea a month before I hit 30, that’s when it usually sets in.
tried chemical peels and burnt myself in desperation of putting loads of product on and had huge scabs on my face.
Acnecide cream cleaned it up in two weeks and it’s never returned.

I still have rosacea of course.
When I don’t want a full face of foundation I use green stuff from L’Oréal which evens it out!
Ooooooooo that’s a good idea. My foundation is so thick luckily my redness doesn’t come through. I’ve been using IT cosmetics cc cream which is amazing.
Funny you say it came through in your 30th, mine became a lot more prominent since then, it’s got the worst it’s been and I’m now 32.

Yeah I would happily moisturise over soolantra as that’s your treatment so you can defo moisturise over it, just make sure it’s fully absorbed first 😊

I think my rosacea is mild, I’m always slightly pink but when I’m in the sun, after a hot shower or using a product with actives my skin will go really red. When I exercise it’s a different ball game - puce is defo the right word and it’s so embarrassing!

La Roche Posay cicaplast baume is fantastic for soothing and redness, but it’s very thick and greasy so you couldn’t use it as an everyday moisturiser if you want to wear make up over it, but it’s my go to when my skin is really red and angry looking, it just calms my skin and takes away the redness. Fantastic product!

Yeah I would happily moisturise over soolantra as that’s your treatment so you can defo moisturise over it, just make sure it’s fully absorbed first 😊

I think my rosacea is mild, I’m always slightly pink but when I’m in the sun, after a hot shower or using a product with actives my skin will go really red. When I exercise it’s a different ball game - puce is defo the right word and it’s so embarrassing!

La Roche Posay cicaplast baume is fantastic for soothing and redness, but it’s very thick and greasy so you couldn’t use it as an everyday moisturiser if you want to wear make up over it, but it’s my go to when my skin is really red and angry looking, it just calms my skin and takes away the redness. Fantastic product!
A lot of people really rate La Roche posay. I think when I’ve run out of my cleanser and moisturiser I will go to it. God my skin is just constantly hot and flushed as the moment. My rosacea has definitely got worse for me. The kicker is I’m not wearing anywhere near as much make up as I normally do. When I’m at work I usually have a full beat with double wear foundation - I almost feel the make up as a calming affect as I never can feel the flushing when it’s on.
I get SO embarrassed when I’m out running as I think people think I’m on the verge of collapse. I was really worried at one point it was all down to high blood pressure but it’s not, im absolutely fine in that respect. I honestly envy people who can just put a lipgloss, bronzer and slick of mascara on and be good to go!!!x

Oh and the Lush face mask Rosy Cheeks. Calmed it right down.
I’ve used that before!! I like it but I always bloody forget about it and leave it in my fridge for months haha

Yes, that's how I apply mine. I figured that applying it before going to bed gives it a good length of time overnight to do its stuff. My skin feels really soft in the morning too. Good luck! 😀

• Heart
Hi there - I don't suffer from this myself, but my boyfriend does and swears by La Roche Posay Rosaliac range!
so sorry I missed this! I honestly see so much good stuff about this brand. Once I’ve used my current cleanser and moisturiser I think I’m going to switch all my skin care over. Helps you can buy it in boots too!!x

Yes, that's how I apply mine. I figured that applying it before going to bed gives it a good length of time overnight to do its stuff. My skin feels really soft in the morning too. Good luck! 😀
will keep you up to date with how I get on! Really excited to try it!x

Reactions: 2
UPDATE!!

@PoleStar @squarebutton I started using my Soolantra on a Thursday and i am genuinely shocked by how much of a difference it has made already. It said online it takes about 14 days to see results but I have definitely already seen a VAST improvement. It is genuinely the only product I have ever used where I have seen an improvement in my symptoms. Thanks so so sooooo much for recommending this.

Out of interest how long do you use yours for? Is it safe to use long term or only as and when bad flare ups occur? I feel like my face is one long flare up hahaHa!!!

UPDATE!!

@PoleStar @squarebutton I started using my Soolantra on a Thursday and i am genuinely shocked by how much of a difference it has made already. It said online it takes about 14 days to see results but I have definitely already seen a VAST improvement. It is genuinely the only product I have ever used where I have seen an improvement in my symptoms. Thanks so so sooooo much for recommending this.

Out of interest how long do you use yours for? Is it safe to use long term or only as and when bad flare ups occur? I feel like my face is one long flare up hahaHa!!!
That's really good to hear, so pleased it's working for you. The pamphlet that comes with it states not to use it all the time so I use it until my skin is good and then stop until I get a flare up. My skin took about 6 weeks to totally calm down, but I also noticed a huge improvement within 4 or 5 days.

UPDATE!!

Ahhh fantastic that’s so good to hear!!! I personally haven’t used soolantra, I was going to try it but instead I’ve gone down the tretinoin route but I may consider adding soolantra to it.
I don’t know if you can use it long term, maybe upto 6 months max? Then you could gradually reduce the usage and see how your skin reacts. I suppose it depends on how quickly your skin looks “normal” 😊

That's really good to hear, so pleased it's working for you. The pamphlet that comes with it states not to use it all the time so I use it until my skin is good and then stop until I get a flare up. My skin took about 6 weeks to totally calm down, but I also noticed a huge improvement within 4 or 5 days.
It’s clearing from the outside in by the looks of it - I have really deep redness on my cheeks but my spots were mainly on the outside and that’s where the redness was graduating to. It’s definitely starting to improve that area drastically but I can see much difference on cheeks but I definitely think that will come with time. Really wish I took a before picture to show you guys. Honestly feeling so positive about it! I’ve cut my BHA / Acid step out my regime too. I may introduce it when my flare up has calmed as it really helps the overall look of my skin!

Ahhh fantastic that’s so good to hear!!! I personally haven’t used soolantra, I was going to try it but instead I’ve gone down the tretinoin route but I may consider adding soolantra to it.
I don’t know if you can use it long term, maybe upto 6 months max? Then you could gradually reduce the usage and see how your skin reacts. I suppose it depends on how quickly your skin looks “normal” 😊
oh yes!!!!!! I remember you mention azaelic acid. Going to look into tretinoin now! Not heard of it before x