Roadside Mum #5 oppressed to the point of starvation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How and why would Mason Grace be able to comment on a zine they're not supporting? I see one can "sign in to join the conversation", but I didn't sign in using google or whatever to test that I could comment wherever I like.

Mason, if you're there, come join us!

Reactions: 7
So weird that she can write long, rambling posts about why there’s no zine yet, along with her epic tweet threads about duck all, but actually writing the actual zine is too much for her to bear. Maybe if she put some of that effort into actually doing the book, it would be out now. I mean, it’s basically being written for her by other people, all she has to do is put it together.

Also lolling at her slagging off someone trying to stay anonymous when RM on Twitter under a pseudonym and no one knows who she really is. Anyone who’s followed her for any length of time wouldn’t want to question her under their real name because they’ll know what a vitriolic, vicious cow she is.

Reactions: 15
How and why would Mason Grace be able to comment on a zine they're not supporting? I see one can "sign in to join the conversation", but I didn't sign in using google or whatever to test that I could comment wherever I like.

Mason, if you're there, come join us!
You can add comments to books you're not funding, this is a screenshot from the updates page of a book I'm not funding (I contributed to "One in Five" and sent the publisher some feedback just before Christmas suggesting the book was handed over to the professionals for editing so it iactually gets published and the contributors get paid).

1674906057821.png

• Wow
I’m not 100% sure how these crowdfunding type books work. So am I right in thinking she’s already had the money or is it payable to her on publication? I know about JM’s Kickstarter. Is this a similar situation? How do people even find out how to do this? It just seems like some online racket that people are mindlessly signing up for. I just don’t get it. Not to say everyone doing this is a scam artist but I’d wager a bet that more often than not, they are!

I’m not 100% sure how these crowdfunding type books work. So am I right in thinking she’s already had the money or is it payable to her on publication? I know about JM’s Kickstarter. Is this a similar situation? How do people even find out how to do this? It just seems like some online racket that people are mindlessly signing up for. I just don’t get it. Not to say everyone doing this is a scam artist but I’d wager a bet that more often than not, they are!
The money is paid to Unbound. I think the author gets a small advance, but the majority of the costs go on the costs of making the book happen (editing, typesetting, printing, marketing, etc). I would imagine any advance is paid contingent on hitting certain targets, such as reaching the crowdfunding target, submitting the manuscript, etc.

If the book isn't published, the crowdfunders get their money back so I can't see Unbound being too generous with the advances.

Reactions: 3
The money is paid to Unbound. I think the author gets a small advance, but the majority of the costs go on the costs of making the book happen (editing, typesetting, printing, marketing, etc). I would imagine any advance is paid contingent on hitting certain targets, such as reaching the crowdfunding target, submitting the manuscript, etc.

If the book isn't published, the crowdfunders get their money back so I can't see Unbound being too generous with the advances.
But simultaneously, people must apply for a refund within a specific pretty short time after an announcement of "no book will be published". After that, it's a credit to the giver. So long delays on book production mean givers may take their eye off the timeline, and lose their cash. Unbound and Louisa win. All the good faith is on the givers

Reactions: 6
Did Unbound publish Russ in Cheshire's book? If so he was whingeing about how little he made from it. And he sold tonnes more than I would expect RSM's zine to sell.

• Haha
That's the other option - she really was going to do it (at least in her head) then realised that the overheads were going to make any payout not worth it.

Reactions: 5
Well she called that one wrong and isn’t happy with the replies. I’ve seen people doing this. It’s horrifying
F347B142-F412-45A7-8992-0D465CC4B96B.jpeg

• Angry
Well she called that one wrong and isn’t happy with the replies. I’ve seen people doing this. It’s horrifying View attachment 1918900
Those scooters are not designed to carry two people, and the small wheels mean that if they hit a pothole there's more likely to be an accident. Dropping your toddler in the road is not going to end well for anyone. The extra weight also means they're slower and less manoeuvrable, and the toddler isn't secured properly like they would be in a child seat on a bike.

Reactions: 11
Those scooters are not designed to carry two people, and the small wheels mean that if they hit a pothole there's more likely to be an accident. Dropping your toddler in the road is not going to end well for anyone. The extra weight also means they're slower and less manoeuvrable, and the toddler isn't secured properly like they would be in a child seat on a bike.
There’s no joy in this country….Louisa that’s coz you sucked it all out with your awful personality.
1 person per scooter, must be an adult. That’s it. It’s a vehicle.

Reactions: 11
There’s no joy in this country….Louisa that’s coz you sucked it all out with your awful personality.
1 person per scooter, must be an adult. That’s it. It’s a vehicle.
It also looks to be a privately owned one, which are illegal on the public highway. The only ones which are currently legal for use on the roads (and it's the roads, not the pavements) are the ones you can hire as part of a public hire scheme.

They are also illegal, and you can be banned from driving for riding one illegally.

• Haha
Fancy the police trying to prevent the serious injury/death of a child then tweeting about it to inform and educate others. Evil.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Fancy the police trying to prevent the serious injury/death of a child then tweeting about it to inform and educate others. Evil.
Yes, there's a conversation to be had about whether this is an appropriate use of police time, and how we encourage active travel, and how we can improve road safety for people, and the place of e-scooters as part of active travel, but at the moment the scooters are illegal, she was using it outside of the manufacturer's recommendations, and the police had received a report of a crime being committed. Imagine if they'd done nothing and the next thing is "toddler dies after fall from e-scooter," and whoever reported the mother went to the press and said "I reported that to the police and they did nothing and now a child has died."

Reactions: 13
Yes, there's a conversation to be had about whether this is an appropriate use of police time, and how we encourage active travel, and how we can improve road safety for people, and the place of e-scooters as part of active travel, but at the moment the scooters are illegal, she was using it outside of the manufacturer's recommendations, and the police had received a report of a crime being committed. Imagine if they'd done nothing and the next thing is "toddler dies after fall from e-scooter," and whoever reported the mother went to the press and said "I reported that to the police and they did nothing and now a child has died."

It's better use of their time than in arranging for a toddler to be scraped off the A30 (other main roads are available) because a van driver didn't see the woman, never mind the infant in an even more precarious position, IMO.

(sometimes I think that bluntness is the only way to get across how bleeping stupid people can be - in this case, RM and the idiot woman going for a Darwin by Proxy).

Reactions: 14
RSM would be the first to complain, including many mentions of the legality I bet, if RN or LO got so much as a grazed knee from being knocked into by an e-scooter rider yet she’s living it large in her replies claiming they’re fine at walking speed. Weird, weird woman.

Reactions: 13
Spends 18 hours (on and off) arguing about an e scooter.

Announces RD is bringing chicken for dinner.

realises deflection from e scooter nonsense is needed

Suddenly blames headache on thing that happened 2 days ago. (Thing that netted at least 2 offers of payment for £99 test)

9F246E15-B662-4E78-BB20-987636DE2CE2.jpeg

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.