Retail Problems

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Only starting a thread for those of us Tattlers working in retail (especially this week after reopening:sleep::sleep:)

Please complain about your crappy customers, demanding bosses & rubbish hours 😂

Reactions: 6
Customers forgetting that they should still be social distancing whilst queuing at the till points and are trying to huddle like sardines thinking it will get them served quicker. All staff social distancing/covid hygiene totally forgotten about once off the shop floor and in the staff room on day 2 after reopening. 🙄

I do supermarket deliveries in an area that has a small city surrounded by a lot of rural countryside. Love the job, in spite of the pay being only just over minimum wage.

My overwhelming conclusion is that
- people with not much money are in general really nice and friendly (luckily it's an area without many proper crims and drug dealers etc so I can't speak for those). Always grateful for the delivery. Often have cute young kids that want to help carry the shopping in or get excited if they see a bag of crisps or ice cream etc. Not bothered about substitutions, happy to take what they're given.
- people with proper shed loads of money, who live in absolute stately homes with glorious private tree lined avenues through their large grounds etc, or James Bond style lairs, are in general really nice and friendly as well. Also always grateful for the delivery, and happy to take a few seconds for a chat. Happy to let us drive up their drive and so on, recognising it makes it much easier for us. Also not bothered about substitutions (except when it's something important to get right for allergies etc), in fact these folks will usually say about their subs, "sounds interesting, let's give that a try".
- it's the relatively small group of people in the middle who are the absolute cuntstomers. The ones that think they've made it, and think their house is amazing, and that I should be grateful they're letting me walk on their drive. Often will be a newish or self-built "grand designs" house, which they're probably mortgaged to the hilt to pay for. But don't dare bring the van on to their drive in case it drips a millilitre of oil or something. These are the ones who'll bark orders to "bring it round the back" etc without a polite please or thank you, and who'll invariably kick off big time over a substitution, who will go through and check the date on everything, or go nuts because they didn't get the paper receipt, or because we weren't taking the bags back for recycling (we are again now), or because they didn't get a text message warning of our impending arrival. The slightest thing tips them off into an absolute rage! The rude ones in that category are the ones we laugh about back at the yard. Always be nice to your delivery driver! There's actually quite a bit of nice stuff and customer care refunds that we are able to give out from time to time, guess who DOESN'T ever get that from us :ROFLMAO:

Being a home delivery driver gives you a whole different take on people and how they live. I see quite a few really sad cases that you think are unique to various Channel 4 and 5 TV shows, but they really aren't. People who can't leave their houses (not necessarily because of covid). Couples that will shout at each other in front of me. People that get 35 lasagna ready meals delivered because that's all they eat. Daughters ordering food for their elderly parents. I've got a hoarder with a kitchen absolutely piled high with crap, not a work surface to put the shopping on anywhere.

Customers forgetting that they should still be social distancing whilst queuing at the till points and are trying to huddle like sardines thinking it will get them served quicker. All staff social distancing/covid hygiene totally forgotten about once off the shop floor and in the staff room on day 2 after reopening. 🙄
Meh like I say above I've worked for a large supermarket (and in fact a different one before that) for most of this pandemic. Very little social distancing out back of either shop, there can't be, there's no space. Plenty of sharing of vans, and various electronic handheld equipment, and warehouse trolleys etc. With a very few exceptions, shops are not where this thing is spreading, and never have been.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20
I do supermarket deliveries in an area that has a small city surrounded by a lot of rural countryside. Love the job, in spite of the pay being only just over minimum wage.

My overwhelming conclusion is that
- people with not much money are in general really nice and friendly (luckily it's an area without many proper crims and drug dealers etc so I can't speak for those). Always grateful for the delivery. Often have cute young kids that want to help carry the shopping in or get excited if they see a bag of crisps or ice cream etc. Not bothered about substitutions, happy to take what they're given.
- people with proper shed loads of money, who live in absolute stately homes with glorious private tree lined avenues through their large grounds etc, or James Bond style lairs, are in general really nice and friendly as well. Also always grateful for the delivery, and happy to take a few seconds for a chat. Happy to let us drive up their drive and so on, recognising it makes it much easier for us. Also not bothered about substitutions (except when it's something important to get right for allergies etc), in fact these folks will usually say about their subs, "sounds interesting, let's give that a try".
- it's the relatively small group of people in the middle who are the absolute cuntstomers. The ones that think they've made it, and think their house is amazing, and that I should be grateful they're letting me walk on their drive. Often will be a newish or self-built "grand designs" house, which they're probably mortgaged to the hilt to pay for. But don't dare bring the van on to their drive in case it drips a millilitre of oil or something. These are the ones who'll bark orders to "bring it round the back" etc without a polite please or thank you, and who'll invariably kick off big time over a substitution, who will go through and check the date on everything, or go nuts because they didn't get the paper receipt, or because we weren't taking the bags back for recycling (we are again now), or because they didn't get a text message warning of our impending arrival. The slightest thing tips them off into an absolute rage! The rude ones in that category are the ones we laugh about back at the yard. Always be nice to your delivery driver! There's actually quite a bit of nice stuff and customer care refunds that we are able to give out from time to time, guess who DOESN'T ever get that from us :ROFLMAO:

Being a home delivery driver gives you a whole different take on people and how they live. I see quite a few really sad cases that you think are unique to various Channel 4 and 5 TV shows, but they really aren't. People who can't leave their houses (not necessarily because of covid). Couples that will shout at each other in front of me. People that get 35 lasagna ready meals delivered because that's all they eat. Daughters ordering food for their elderly parents. I've got a hoarder with a kitchen absolutely piled high with crap, not a work surface to put the shopping on anywhere.

Meh like I say above I've worked for a large supermarket (and in fact a different one before that) for most of this pandemic. Very little social distancing out back of either shop, there can't be, there's no space. Plenty of sharing of vans, and various electronic handheld equipment, and warehouse trolleys etc. With a very few exceptions, shops are not where this thing is spreading, and never have been.
I have my shopping delivered and I must say the delivery drivers are always lovely. They always get a big thank you from me and it’s always nice to have a chat. Retail is very much a thankless job in my opinion and many are so quick to complain but never quick to compliment. I always thank people for their lovely service and if their service isn’t lovely then who knows how much crap they’ve put up with on that day. I’ve been spat at (Pre covid) and threatened in my job because I followed the store policy.
the business I work for isn’t a supermarket but they made a huge deal of sanitising on the floor when they reopened, but behind the scenes there is nothing in place really. It’s like it’s all just for show in my opinion.

Reactions: 9
All staff social distancing/covid hygiene totally forgotten about once off the shop floor and in the staff room on day 2 after reopening. 🙄
Honestly I think it's impossible to do it when you're working in such a busy environment... we're on three tills (due to social distancing) but have to cut across each other to grab carriers or a hanger etc, there's just no way we can serve & social distance properly.

But as another poster has said, it doesn't seem like shops are places it spreads so who knows

Reactions: 4
Honestly I think it's impossible to do it when you're working in such a busy environment... we're on three tills (due to social distancing) but have to cut across each other to grab carriers or a hanger etc, there's just no way we can serve & social distance properly.

But as another poster has said, it doesn't seem like shops are places it spreads so who knows
I don’t think it’s shops either. I was more grumbling about the show my particular store puts on and then behind the scenes there is nothing.

Reactions: 1
I don’t think it’s shops either. I was more grumbling about the show my particular store puts on and then behind the scenes there is nothing.
Oh same - favourite bit of mine is when they have the tanoy say the obligatory "keep 2m apart or ask the staff what measures we've put in place" and I am stood neck on neck with a colleague because Dawn from down the road ordered 17 parcels worth £100 each during lockdown and wants to return them all 😩 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
May I take this opportunity as a regular customer at various supermarkets, to say thank you to all the staff that have worked throughout the lockdown. I am really grateful for the service you have provided, in extremely difficult circumstances.

Reactions: 15
Oh same - favourite bit of mine is when they have the tanoy say the obligatory "keep 2m apart or ask the staff what measures we've put in place" and I am stood neck on neck with a colleague because Dawn from down the road ordered 17 parcels worth £100 each during lockdown and wants to return them all 😩 😂
I’m sure you work for the same company as I do 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2
- it's the relatively small group of people in the middle who are the absolute cuntstomers.
Absolutely love the word 'cuntstomers' 😂

I worked part time in retail when I was at uni (large supermarket chain) and the amount of CUNTSTOMERS I encountered was something else!

I think retail should be like conscription. Everybody should be forced to work in it for a year after they leave school, then they might stop looking down their nose at people who work in retail and treating them like tit! :mad:

Reactions: 14
When I retired at 50 I was soon bored so asked my friend who worked in ASDA if she could get me a part time job on the checkout. She said no you would not last the first morning before you got the sack, you would loose your rag and tell the customer to f.off. I was quite surprised she said that until she explained how bad some people were to staff and not everyone is nice to them then went on to tell me some of the things she had to put up with and bite her tongue. I was actually shocked and go more out of my way to be pleasant to staff now.

Reactions: 7
I don't work in retail, but I placed an online shopping order (with delivery) for my (very difficult) mother a couple of days ago, which she got yesterday.

She called me to say that she'd phoned the supermarket to complain because one of the apples was slightly greener than the others, the bananas weren't the right shade of yellow and were a bit small ("I think they must have come from one of those funny countries"), and she didn't like that they'd wrapped her meat together (same meat) in the newspaper. What's more, they gave a window of 10am-12pm for delivery and apparently left it close to midday to deliver! For goodness sake! I told her firmly that she should not have done anything of the sort and they'll likely make a note of her somewhere to say she's a difficult customer (I doubt they will, but the fact that I paid for the groceries using my card with my name on it might make them side-eye me if I do buy from them again).

She's a very difficult woman who never fails to look a gift horse in the mouth, but that's a whole other issue.

Anyhoo, I feel very sorry for the people who carefully choose, pack and deliver online orders only to deal with bloody ungrateful people. I think they do an incredible job and I always put a note with my order to say how much I appreciate what they do.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I don't work in retail, but I placed an online shopping order (with delivery) for my (very difficult) mother a couple of days ago, which she got yesterday.

She called me to say that she'd phoned the supermarket to complain because one of the apples was slightly greener than the others, the bananas weren't the right shade of yellow and were a bit small ("I think they must have come from one of those funny countries"), and she didn't like that they'd wrapped her meat together (same meat) in the newspaper. What's more, they gave a window of 10am-12pm for delivery and apparently left it close to midday to deliver! For goodness sake! I told her firmly that she should not have done anything of the sort and they'll likely make a note of her somewhere to say she's a difficult customer (I doubt they will, but the fact that I paid for the groceries using my card with my name on it might make them side-eye me if I do buy from them again).

She's a very difficult woman who never fails to look a gift horse in the mouth, but that's a whole other issue.

Anyhoo, I feel very sorry for the people who carefully choose, pack and deliver online orders only to deal with bloody ungrateful people. I think they do an incredible job and I always put a note with my order to say how much I appreciate what they do.
The notes on one of my deliveries the other day, was this your mother :ROFLMAO:

Shame the notes the customers put in here are shown to the driver at delivery time (it's meant for people to put in things like "opposite the community centre"), no chance of the people that pick the shopping ever seeing it!

1618831872813.png

Reactions: 2
The notes on one of my deliveries the other day, was this your mother :ROFLMAO:

Shame the notes the customers put in here are shown to the driver at delivery time (it's meant for people to put in things like "opposite the community centre"), no chance of the people that pick the shopping ever seeing it!

View attachment 536314
"Filled rim pizza" is a new one. Lucky pizza?

• Haha
Reactions: 1