Restless leg syndrome. Anyone else suffer?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve suffered with this for years now, sometimes it’s fine other times it keeps me up half the night it’s horrendous.

I’m going through a tough time right now and really struggling to sleep however all the sleeping aids (nytol etc) just aggravate the rls. I was on sertraline for depression and that also makes it worse.
its a bloody pain in the butt. Nytol and Sominex work so well, I take them and I feel drowsy, but just as I start to fall asleep in comes the RLS. I could scream with frustration.

does anyone else suffer and found anything that actually helps?

read about weighted blankets but they’re too expensive right now.
Also heard tonic water can help because of the quinine? Anyone had a joy?

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I have had RLS alongside sleep talking in a serious manner since i was a child, even to the point now noone will sleep in the same bed as me! :ROFLMAO: I was diagnosed with bipolar/borderline a few years back and was on 400mg queltiapine and other PRN tablets that should knock a horse out in essence, but nope RLS is always there. It drives me potty because mine is constant moving, sqeezing muscles moving my hips, i have woke up with bruises,

The only thing i have found that has worked really to some extent is taking magnesium and sometimes zopiclone., i wouldn't recommend the tonic water (apart from being disgusting) got up to have a wee and was making my stomach too active to sleep anyway. Not sure the weighted blanket would be worth it, might make your legs ache more if they are still moving underneath the weight, hence why i have just a blanket.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’ve suffered restless legs for years. It drives me absolutely crazy. I’ve just been sat in a really hot bath which I find helps ever so slightly before going to bed. Mine starts in my thighs & goes all the way down my legs. I could feel it getting bad last night but managed to sleep. Tonight I don’t think there’s any chance of getting much sleep. I find it’s always worse when I’m over tired too so it’s a complete battle. Tried quinine Tablets but that’s actually more prescribed for leg cramps & from experience is hopeless for restless legs. I have to move my legs morning to night & my other half says I’m constantly moving my legs when I’m asleep. If I’m getting really worked up in bed & my legs are aching I find getting up & going a wee walk around my house, massaging my legs & then coming back to bed helps a little.

• Heart
I feel you. Had this all my life. Magnesium definitely helps. It absorbs best through the skin so try a bath in Epsom salts.

No idea if it’s psychosomatic but my golden ticket is a bit of white tiger balm rubbed into my legs where the main twitches/aches are felt. Calms everything down and I get to sleep. No idea if it actually does anything or just a bit of mind trickery. I wouldn’t be without it now though.

• Heart
I feel you. Had this all my life. Magnesium definitely helps. It absorbs best through the skin so try a bath in Epsom salts.

No idea if it’s psychosomatic but my golden ticket is a bit of white tiger balm rubbed into my legs where the main twitches/aches are felt. Calms everything down and I get to sleep. No idea if it actually does anything or just a bit of mind trickery. I wouldn’t be without it now though.
I must look into the epsom salts, i worry about using the bathroom for too long though as one bathroom between doesn't spell relaxation in the bath haha. Sounds stupid, is the tiger balm you can get in hair shops/pound shops or a different one, i'm willing to try anything to not feel like Jackie Chan every night.

• Heart
I must look into the epsom salts, i worry about using the bathroom for too long though as one bathroom between doesn't spell relaxation in the bath haha. Sounds stupid, is the tiger balm you can get in hair shops/pound shops or a different one, i'm willing to try anything to not feel like Jackie Chan every night.
Baths are so tricky for lots of people! Nothing relaxing about knowing someone might need to barge in at any time. I have a cat who headbutts the bathroom door repeatedly if I shut it lol

Tiger balm (white) is this one https://www.superdrug.com/Health/Pain-Relief/Pain-Killers/Tiger-Balm-White-30g/p/734358

I can hand on heart say it’s been ace for me, hope it helps you.

• Heart
Have you had your vitamin D levels tested? I had really bad RLS. I got bloods done and was significantly deficient in VitD. Took a strong course of supplements and the restless legs disappeared.

• Heart
I suffered really bad with this when i pregnant, i used to find a fan blowing cold air on my legs helped loads. I still get it every now and then, it drives you bonkers it does

• Heart
I had it when I was pregnant and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!! Camomile tea eased it for me.

• Heart
I suffer with it and it gets worse when I'm really tired. I end up wandering around and laying with my legs raised.
I know it's not always possible (depending on your situation) but I've found having someone (my partner) rub my legs for a while helps.

• Heart
I had this during my teens and a lot during pregnancy too. Very rare I get it now but I remember how frustrating and uncomfortable it is! Sounds odd but when I used to have my bed against the wall, putting my leg against it as it was cold at night gave a little bit of relief

• Heart
I used to really struggle with rls so bad. I couldn’t stand to drink enough tonic water to see if it made a difference. I would elevate my legs and sometimes I would get up have a hot bath and massage my legs after. I had it really bad throughout both pregnancies but was quite low in iron and as soon as my iron levels went back up to a good level it stopped. It might have just been a coincidence but worth checking your blood levels to see if you are deficient in anything?

I hope you get it sorted because I know how horrendous it can be

• Heart
As the previous poster mentioned, it is worth checking your iron levels. I had horrendous restless legs in pregnancy for months and as soon as consultant prescribed iron tablets as iron levels were low, the aches stopped. Hope they get better, it really is the pits x

• Heart
Wow I am surprised at just how many of you suffer the same! Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I think I’ll start with checking out the iron levels xx

• Heart
A weighted blanket really helped mine. They are expensive, especially custom made. I got mine from amazon for £69 and it came with a cover. You also have the returns policy there if it doesn’t help you. I know it’s still expensive but when I first looked the ones I found were £200 odd. I’ll link it for you if you want.

Try a few folded up quilts or blankets on top of your legs. Rls is such a hateful feeling x

Last edited:
  • Heart
I just remembered that I also went to a chiropractor because I had pain in my lumbar, turns out I needed all sorts of adjusting. My RLS stopped for about a year after. Again, it could just be coincidence but when I get a back massage I can feel it shoot down the nerves in my legs. I found the chiropractor on groupon which made it really cheap and luckily he was very good. If iron doesn’t sort it and you’re in a position to see a chiropractor, I highly recommend it.

• Heart
My son has RLS, he's not allowed caffiene 6 hours before bed, takes an iron supplement and has a leg massage before bed

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Suffered with this really badly whilst pregnant. Magnesium moisturiser really helped me! There's a brand called 'better you' which was great. I got it on amazon but I think they sell it in Holland and Barretts too?

• Heart
I always tend to get it roughly once a month for a couple of nights .. hate it! I know it sounds silly but it’s always normally around full moon 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart