Responsible Child

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Did anyone watch last night? I thought it was brilliant, esp the boy in the lead role. Made me cry and made me think - all those kids out there in chaotic families.

Reactions: 6
The acting was amazing. I can't believe how many times those poor children where failed. I think he will strive now. He really enjoyed school and without the bullying and lack of dreadful parenting he will come on leaps and bounds. And for once in a place people have his best interests at heart. Sadly I can't imagine his brother doing very well in prison.

Reactions: 6
Yes I thought it was brilliant but I was confused near the end when they showed the step dad fishing. He came across as trying to be nice to Ray offering him drink and a seat.

Reactions: 4
I watched this earlier & it broke me 😢 The actors were outstanding, the story utterly heartbreaking. There are too many children being born into situations where they’re unable to be nurtured by adults who can’t even look after themselves. I don’t know what the answer is but these boys & no doubt millions of others are being failed by family, society & the system. Such a powerful piece of TV, I don’t often say it, but we’ll done BBC 👏🏼

• Heart
Reactions: 4
The main actor - Ray - was astonishing. Child actors so often can be seen, well, acting but he was utterly believable.
Yes I thought it was brilliant but I was confused near the end when they showed the step dad fishing. He came across as trying to be nice to Ray offering him drink and a seat.
Yes that was strange. I presume it is to show that nothing is black and white and that no one is 100% evil. The father also seemed a good(ish) father to his own children. I didn't see it from the very beginning but I don't think the step father had a particular problem with Ray did he? The problems were with Nathan - though of course Ray was completely a victim in that toxic household too. I thought that was what they did so well in the programme - showing it wasn't incredibly clear cut. The horror of their living conditions but the attack was just awful - when he was asleep and incredibly vicious and prolonged. Plus his mother and brother then just left him to carry the can as it were.
Awfully sad to think there are probably things going on like that right now.

Reactions: 7
Exactly what @Jelly Bean said. His mother completely failing him broke me. It was based on a true story from back in 2014. So sad.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Exactly what @Jelly Bean said. His mother completely failing him broke me. It was based on a true story from back in 2014. So sad.
Same here, also at the end when he was having flash backs were horrible ☹
The main actor - Ray - was astonishing. Child actors so often can be seen, well, acting but he was utterly believable.

Yes that was strange. I presume it is to show that nothing is black and white and that no one is 100% evil. The father also seemed a good(ish) father to his own children. I didn't see it from the very beginning but I don't think the step father had a particular problem with Ray did he? The problems were with Nathan - though of course Ray was completely a victim in that toxic household too. I thought that was what they did so well in the programme - showing it wasn't incredibly clear cut. The horror of their living conditions but the attack was just awful - when he was asleep and incredibly vicious and prolonged. Plus his mother and brother then just left him to carry the can as it were.
Awfully sad to think there are probably things going on like that right now.
At the beginning ray doesn't live in that household but turns up and says he doesn't want to live with his real dad anymore. Step dad says theres not enough room but he can stay the night. Then nathan states it's their mum's house and not his so ray can stay forever if he wants which is when a fight breaks out between nathan and step dad.

I believe 'Ray' has a new identity now in real life.

Reactions: 3
Just caught up with it. It just goes to show how children are failed in this country. Although it did show the step-dads niceish side at the end I can imagine both boys went through alot of abuse to get to the point of wanting to kill him.

Reactions: 1
I can remember when it broke national headlines back in 2013/2014. The trauma those two boys went through is unimaginable. Jerome should have been released this year. I just hope he has had the help he needs and this program doesn't set him back.

I loved the program because it was so raw and unfiltered. It reflectes real life and what is really going on behind closed doors. It also humanises the people involved and hopefully will give the public a insight into how/why children commit these horrific crimes.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
Saw this on iPlayer earlier this week and thought it was excellent.

It has stayed with me the past few days. I really hope those boys are doing well now.

Thanks for this thread - I don’t think the programme would have caught my eye otherwise.

Glad you enjoyed it. Have to say, it really stayed with me too - very powerful stuff and the final few scenes were incredible.

The acting from the main young actor was extremely good. I also thought the mother was excellent. Very understated and totally believable. I thought the only bit of dodgy acting was from the prosecution barrister who was playing it like a panto villain.

Other than that, very thought provoking.