Requesting Apple refund - child made purchases

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello. I’m after anyone experiences with this please and if they got their money back. So last night I got a text from my bank saying they’ve blocked purchases being made from Apple and to reply N if it was not me. I thought that’s strange, I haven’t got any. Wondered if this is a scam text but it legitimately seemed to come from my bank as it showed me previous legit messages from them in the text history. Logged on to my bank app and EVERYTHING was gone. Approx £400 😢😢 Tons of apple payments made.
I’ve bought my kids stuff through my card on their phones before and genuinely thought I’d deleted my card afterwards. It’s been a few months since I last bought something for them through Apple store. So I went and asked them have they been buying stuff off Apple. They said no there is a ‘glitch’ on this game they play. I went mental saying no it’s taken all my money! I respond to the bank and their fraud team immediately called me. I explained what happened. Basically he said I need to contact Apple to try and sort it out. Apple were closed! I went on their phones and found a way to request a refund for all the things they’d bought using the ‘child made unauthorised purchases’ option. But it takes 2 days for them to make a decision on if they will refund me. I’m going to call Apple today so I can speak to someone but from what I’ve read online it seems very mixed if people get a refund or not when this happens 😢😢

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Sorry to hear, I've heard it can be a 50/50 if they will refund you or not, my aunt had the same thing happen, kid spent like £200 on a game an kids tried to say it wasn't them but it clearly was, apple couldn't care less an just told her maybe put a password on it next time, however I have heard of people getting money back if the kid has paid for somthing from games

I hope you get your money back but unfortunately it's going be entirely down to them if they want to, if the game genuinely is glitched an they refuse then you might be able to take it further but you would need proof that it was actually bugged to do that, I'd say maybe record it happening, but if the kids have just said it's glitched then unfortunately nothing you can do if they say no as they will just say the same as they told my aunt an that was to put a password on it

Games now a days are getting ridiculous, as a gamer myself an I do have some mobile games it's insane how many will have these pops ups like starter kits an "this pack was £1000 but you can get it for £50" an they have timers on them, it's so easy for kids now to click on it an then as soon as they do another one pops up with a countdown on it, an the kids see what they get an want to buy all these in game things an as soon as they run out there's more pop ups advertising more "great deals" I can see how it would all rack up in price an before you know it the kid has spent hundreds, most mobile games are basically pay to play now, if there's a option on your apple device to click don't allow in game purchases I'd click that, it's android I have so not sure what apple has

Last edited:
tit thing to happen but that’s kids for you. You have to make sure it’s all locked down and passwords are needed.

I worked for the bank I think you’re with judging by the Y/N text, I worked with their fraud team and unfortunately yeah the bank won’t cover you as it’s not fraud and it’s not a scam. However I do know from my own experience and from working within Fraud of others experience that Apple are usually pretty helpful. See if you can get some child controls in place too!

Thanks for your replies. So Apple declined my request for refund 😢😢 I spoke to someone yesterday and she told me there would be no reason why I can’t get a refund but this morning I woke up and checked and they’ve declined it. Phoned Apple again first thing and they just put a dispute through so I have to wait another 48 hours for them to decide. Basically he said it may be because the purchases are consumable so they can’t refund. I feel sick! I’m not holding out much hope. 😢😢 They said if it’s rejected again I’ll have to speak to my bank and see if they will give me my money back! @noseybirdxo I am with RBS. In your experience (if that’s who you worked for) do they give people their money back?

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Thanks for your replies. So Apple declined my request for refund 😢😢 I spoke to someone yesterday and she told me there would be no reason why I can’t get a refund but this morning I woke up and checked and they’ve declined it. Phoned Apple again first thing and they just put a dispute through so I have to wait another 48 hours for them to decide. Basically he said it may be because the purchases are consumable so they can’t refund. I feel sick! I’m not holding out much hope. 😢😢 They said if it’s rejected again I’ll have to speak to my bank and see if they will give me my money back! @noseybirdxo I am with RBS. In your experience (if that’s who you worked for) do they give people their money back?
That's the same as what happened with my aunt, the kids had paid for the packs and then used them so she was declined, I think so long as they don't use anything they buy then you may get refunds but as soon as the kids spend it all then apple doesnt know if its actually been a kid not knowing what they have done or you are at it an are taking advantage of saying its been the kid for your money back, she's rbs as well an they wouldn't take anything to do with it since like a above poster said it isn't scam or fraid, it's been the kids

That's the same as what happened with my aunt, the kids had paid for the packs and then used them so she was declined, I think so long as they don't use anything they buy then you may get refunds but as soon as the kids spend it all then apple doesnt know if its actually been a kid not knowing what they have done or you are at it an are taking advantage of saying its been the kid for your money back, she's rbs as well an they wouldn't take anything to do with it since like a above poster said it isn't scam or fraid, it's been the kids
Yeah I spoke to bank earlier and they basically said they won’t help me get reimbursed! So annoying! 🤬🤬 I understand it’s not apples or the banks fault though but it is still so frustrating. What an absolute waste of my money 😢😢

• Heart
Yeah I spoke to bank earlier and they basically said they won’t help me get reimbursed! So annoying! 🤬🤬 I understand it’s not apples or the banks fault though but it is still so frustrating. What an absolute waste of my money 😢😢
Banks will hardly do a think tbh, my dad had £60 taken out from someone using his amazon account, it was the police working with amazon that got us the money back and only because amazon was able to say the address used was not one on the account as even explaining to the bank that it wasn't us they still didn't care much

Unfortunately all I can suggest is completly locking down your account an having it password protected since if the kids accidentally buy somthing again then it will need a password from yourself, is there a way you can set their accounts to child? I think on android you can an it disables being able to buy anything

Banks will hardly do a think tbh, my dad had £60 taken out from someone using his amazon account, it was the police working with amazon that got us the money back and only because amazon was able to say the address used was not one on the account as even explaining to the bank that it wasn't us they still didn't care much

Unfortunately all I can suggest is completly locking down your account an having it password protected since if the kids accidentally buy somthing again then it will need a password from yourself, is there a way you can set their accounts to child? I think on android you can an it disables being able to buy anything
Thank you. Yes I have set up some parental controls now where I have to approve anything from the Apple store. Part of me is still hoping they change their minds through my appeal but I’m not holding my breath!!