Rental property repairs advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hellooo

So at the moment I live in a rented flat. Been here 5 years which I suppose is longer than the average for a rental property, and no plan to leave soon. My landlord is an angel and has been so accommodating over the years whenever I've needed to alter things or what have you, however I did want advice before approaching this subject.

Over this year the bath tub has started to
rust and peel in one area. I tried to fix it by cleaning, sealing it and painting it with the appropriate products but it has come back and got worse. The bath pretty much needs to be replaced now as I can't see how it could be fixed and it's starting to look very unsightly so I would like it fixed and I'm sure she would too. I have no idea what's really caused the rust (it's at the top of the tub around the edges). The bathroom is always clean and dry etc.

Do I contact my landlord and show photos and ask if a replacement would be possible or would it be my responsibility to replace it? At the very least I think I need to make her aware of the issue and maybe we can go from there but I wondered where I stood in terms of who would need to pay to resolve this etc. I'm sure she'd be understanding as this is the only real issue I've encountered after 5 years here but I am a bit anxious about it as it looks so bad and she's probably wondering what the hell I've done for that to happen

Thank you

If I was being honest - it sounds like there’s nothing wrong with the bath, it’s just unsightly. If it still functions your landlord is under no obligation to replace it because it’s rusty and doesn’t look nice. The same with radiators, they may be slightly rusty and look crap but if they are still heating the room then I’d say they still function well and your landlord has met their obligations.

As you’ve got a good relationship with your landlord I’d probably ask for a repair firstly.

Reactions: 1
It's gone past just rust now, the side of the bath is totally cracked and peeling off
I’d send some photos in a ‘just letting you know, I’ve done xyz to resolve it’ kind of way and take it from there.

I’d send some photos in a ‘just letting you know, I’ve done xyz to resolve it’ kind of way and take it from there.
I think that's a good idea. I'm going to take before and after photos after scrubbing it with the Pink Stuff just so she's aware and see what she says

Hellooo

So at the moment I live in a rented flat. Been here 5 years which I suppose is longer than the average for a rental property, and no plan to leave soon. My landlord is an angel and has been so accommodating over the years whenever I've needed to alter things or what have you, however I did want advice before approaching this subject.

Over this year the bath tub has started to
rust and peel in one area. I tried to fix it by cleaning, sealing it and painting it with the appropriate products but it has come back and got worse. The bath pretty much needs to be replaced now as I can't see how it could be fixed and it's starting to look very unsightly so I would like it fixed and I'm sure she would too. I have no idea what's really caused the rust (it's at the top of the tub around the edges). The bathroom is always clean and dry etc.

Do I contact my landlord and show photos and ask if a replacement would be possible or would it be my responsibility to replace it? At the very least I think I need to make her aware of the issue and maybe we can go from there but I wondered where I stood in terms of who would need to pay to resolve this etc. I'm sure she'd be understanding as this is the only real issue I've encountered after 5 years here but I am a bit anxious about it as it looks so bad and she's probably wondering what the hell I've done for that to happen

Thank you
The bathtub is a part of the fixtures & fittings and yes, it’s up to the landlord to repair/replace. Just take a few photos, drop her a message just saying that you’ve been living with it for a while/you’ve tried to clean it etc but it’s only getting worse and ask if she could come to have a look herself or whatever and take it from there, but it’s not your responsibility to fix it nor get a replacement so don’t let her try to turn it round on you!!

Reactions: 2
I presume as it’s rust it’s a cast iron bath, these are a nightmare to replace due to the weight of them. My bright had to smash his to get it out of his house, we decided to leave ours and it has bits of rust around the plug. The best thing is to get them re-enammeled. They are much better than modern plastic baths.

Either way, depending on the issue it would be for your landlord to fix. I would send the photos, explain your are concerned it getting worse and ask their advice. They may offer straight up or send someone out. It’s best to deal with it as early as possible so it can be rectified.

Hi there. I am a landlord and if this was happening in one of my rentals I’d want to know. I’d send a wee text explaining what is happening, and what you’ve done to try and resolve it. I’m sure your LL will appreciate that you’ve tried to fix it first yourself. Offer to send photos, or for them to come and have a look to discuss what is going to happen. If it were me, I would be replacing the bath, at LL cost, not at the tenant’s cost.

We are happy to pick the appliances and sort out the installation, but equally one of our long term tenants often just checks with us the price range, picks one which we order, and installs it himself as he’s quite handy. Sounds like your LL is accommodating so I’d imagine you may be given similar options.