Recipe Boxes Reviewed - Gusto, Hello Fresh, Simply Cook etc

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

interesting article - gousto are yet to make a profit…
I don't think it matters how much a company is worth. (Theranos and Wework come to mind).

Making losses over all is still a loss.

"The business does, however, remain loss-making, "

This is the problem here:

"Currently a box of two recipes to feed two people costs £24.99, which works out at £6.25 per portion. "

"Unable to pay himself a wage for the first three years, he says he survived on "insane levels of optimism". His wife was practically a saint to stay.

MP did a AD recently with them though. Think the OD's are scrapped off that list now.

Reactions: 3

Yel

I don't think it matters how much a company is worth. (Theranos and Wework come to mind).

Making losses over all is still a loss.

"The business does, however, remain loss-making, "

This is the problem here:

"Currently a box of two recipes to feed two people costs £24.99, which works out at £6.25 per portion. "

"Unable to pay himself a wage for the first three years, he says he survived on "insane levels of optimism". His wife was practically a saint to stay.

MP did a AD recently with them though. Think the OD's are scrapped off that list now.
Gusto sure aren't an Amazon, it's fools that keep pumping money into it to keep it running. Even a child could see that wework wasn't a tech company and had huge risk with no chance of a huge profit.

We're still in a period of high spending - new cars everywhere, people buying luxury brands, interest rates near zero and ppi money still sploshing around. Come a recession people aren't going to keep paying 5-10 times the cost of buying ingredients yourself for those £6.25 small portions. If you're actually time poor supermarkets sell fresh meals that are all the same ingredients for less than half the price. I wonder if we should have a gusto thread

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Gusto sure aren't an Amazon, it's fools that keep pumping money into it to keep it running. Even a child could see that wework wasn't a tech company and had huge risk with no chance of a huge profit.

We're still in a period of high spending - new cars everywhere, people buying luxury brands, interest rates near zero and ppi money still sploshing around. Come a recession people aren't going to keep paying 5-10 times the cost of buying ingredients yourself for those £6.25 small portions. If you're actually time poor supermarkets sell fresh meals that are all the same ingredients for less than half the price. I wonder if we should have a gusto thread
was quite interesting to hear on Dragons Den the week before last how little kick back some of the business on their are actually getting from giving stuff away to influencers.

The kids’ ski brand on their had given away over a 10th of their total sales to influencers.

interesting to note however, the big names who had put their kids in the cute, mega expensive all in ones were bona fide celebs who DO NOT share their children’s faces on social media. Perhaps talks a lot to the power and position of the likes of the ODs who’s entire business is based on the prostitution of their children for brands.

Reactions: 4

I was prompted by MP to give gousto a go, the first box was 50% off and the family boxes are much cheaper per portion. The meals we had were really tasty and well thought out, we ordered vegetarian meals. I imagine they are running at a loss because of all the promotions and how hard they are trying to get out there. The biggest issue is, as he said, the plastic, lots of small portions of cheeses, herbs etc. The meals were easy to adapt to a larger family and my older kids really enjoyed our meals. I also weirdly spent less money on food those weeks, as I was organised. Really I should meal plan. But if I had the money I would definitely have it sometimes.
I tried hello fresh though and we hated that 😂

Yel

I was prompted by MP to give gousto a go, the first box was 50% off and the family boxes are much cheaper per portion. The meals we had were really tasty and well thought out, we ordered vegetarian meals. I imagine they are running at a loss because of all the promotions and how hard they are trying to get out there. The biggest issue is, as he said, the plastic, lots of small portions of cheeses, herbs etc. The meals were easy to adapt to a larger family and my older kids really enjoyed our meals. I also weirdly spent less money on food those weeks, as I was organised. Really I should meal plan. But if I had the money I would definitely have it sometimes.
I tried hello fresh though and we hated that 😂
Interestingly enough I had the same conversation with a family member the other day. They were saying they spent less but I just don't see how unless they were chucking away 2/3rds of food and eating way too big portions. I know in the UK the average family chucks 1/3rd which is shocking, but I don't see gusto as the answer.

I think it's unlikely they'll ever make a significant profit, there's not an original idea and new companies can spring up overnight. Without spending millions a month on marketing they probably wouldn't get the sales.

Said family members that was also singing their praise said she got it half price and like you would only actually become a customer if she had more money

Reactions: 2
Interestingly enough I had the same conversation with a family member the other day. They were saying they spent less but I just don't see how unless they were chucking away 2/3rds of food and eating way too big portions. I know in the UK the average family chucks 1/3rd which is shocking, but I don't see gusto as the answer.

I think it's unlikely they'll ever make a significant profit, there's not an original idea and new companies can spring up overnight. Without spending millions a month on marketing they probably wouldn't get the sales.

Said family members that was also singing their praise said she got it half price and like you would only actually become a customer if she had more money
I think it’s more that I ended up going into the supermarket most days and spending more throughout the week, snacks, reduced food for kids etc, and so I spent far more not being organised. So the addition of gousto, family box was £25 I think which was 4 meals. And fed 7/8 instead of 4 by bulking it up. So for me it made my food shopping those weeks cheaper. But full price at £54 it probably wouldn’t and there’s no way I could justify that expense. It did however give us a menu pack of meals which we knew we could make cheaply and tasty. It was interesting.

Agreed, seems so impractical when you think about how one meal often equals two if you cook from scratch in that leftovers become at least once persons lunch the next day?!

Reactions: 2

Yel

Just had a look at their website, they've got 5 vegan recipes and the all photos are way too oversaturated. 3 of which are just basically beans and tomatoes, 1 is freeka and veggies and the last is this:
PSX_20200101_150427.jpg

Where's the protein to make it a full meal? It's just sugar fired aubergine, rice and vinegar cucumbers. This isn't a proper main!

Reactions: 1
I ordered a box with the Joe Wicks 60% off code. It was good for a bit of inspiration however you can just get all of the recipes online and use your own ingredients. The meat/fish they send isn’t great quality, the chicken was especially unappealing obviously cheap and pumped full of water as went to nothing when cooked and was stringy and tasteless. At the offer price it was ok but at full price no way, especially as would have ordered the veggie recipes.

I am really baffled as to why anyone feels the need to buy these over priced meal kits. My hubbie and I plan a menu for the week and then buy what we need in order to make it. We keep the menus for a while so that we can look back at them later if we need any inspiration. I have a couple of great recipe books I go back to regularly (Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook being my all time favourite) and I also collect the Waitrose recipe cards, which have given me some favourite recipes over the years. Cooking from scratch with fresh ingredients is really easy, it just takes a bit of planning ahead.

To be fair we plan every week, use recipe
books cards etc but when the offer is under £20 for 4 meals for two it’s a bargain, then money off a couple of subsequent boxes, plus was nice to have something different instead of going for the same recipes. And being lazy it all being prepped made getting dinner ready easy. However at full price it’s definitely not worth it, especially given the quality. The delivery driver also left the box at the entrance to our flat, in full view of the road and never bothered to buzz so it was a surprise we actually got it....plus....so much packaging!

Reactions: 5
I would never use either this or hello fresh because I don’t believe they’re good value for money and also because of influencers....

xameliax is forever pushing her frigging code down our necks.
Nope, take your code and get to duck.

• Haha
I am really baffled as to why anyone feels the need to buy these over priced meal kits. My hubbie and I plan a menu for the week and then buy what we need in order to make it. We keep the menus for a while so that we can look back at them later if we need any inspiration. I have a couple of great recipe books I go back to regularly (Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook being my all time favourite) and I also collect the Waitrose recipe cards, which have given me some favourite recipes over the years. Cooking from scratch with fresh ingredients is really easy, it just takes a bit of planning ahead.
My teens really enjoyed cooking the recipes too. As I said I wouldn’t buy it full price but we did enjoy the meals and it was good to get the kids involved. We do cook from scratch every meal and involve the kids but you can get stuck in a rut. It was loads better than I imagined, but not cost effective full price.

I just need to learn to meal plan 🤣

I ordered a box with the Joe Wicks 60% off code. It was good for a bit of inspiration however you can just get all of the recipes online and use your own ingredients. The meat/fish they send isn’t great quality, the chicken was especially unappealing obviously cheap and pumped full of water as went to nothing when cooked and was stringy and tasteless. At the offer price it was ok but at full price no way, especially as would have ordered the veggie recipes.

That's what I found.

I like cooking in general but it had 50% off and I thought for a bit of fun I'd try. It was a lot of hassle and I was glad when we got through it all. It was too carb heavy for us, I had to supplement with extra vegetables and the meat was poor quality and the shelf life was very short.

I thought some of the recipes looked exciting, but some of the basic ones, like shepherds pie and lasagne, looked really bland. Stir fry is just a stir fry, not sure I need it to come in a meal kit. I ordered a family box for 4 for 4 meals and received a paper bag full of tiny packets of seasonings and spices that took ages to sort, for me it would have been quicker to get my measuring spoons out and go into the cupboard and pull out my own ingredients.I get I'm probably not their target audience, maybe if you're a busy couple who want fresh food it could work but definitely won't be something I do again.

We are currently subscribed to the Hello Fresh boxes. Our first two boxes of the year cost £15.00 for 3 meals which is a bargain I feel. I always meal plan but there is always a bit of waste for us whereas this you know there will be no waste. Plus we love it for the inspiration and convenience of not having to prepare on evenings where we get back from work late.

Yel

So when you buy 4 meals it's all jumbled up together? That's ridiculous, I thought the whole point is it was in a separate (paper)bag.

I guess they're aimed at people that would go out and eat and not cook at home. None of the dragons invested 10 years ago and I bet they don't regret that.

Went to go look at hello fresh and you have to go through payment before they even show you the recipes 🤨

I tried it and was really good but
A) I would never pay the ridiculous full price
B) I tried 4 meals, when I went to order again all the other meals were crap. So I’d be eating the same thing every weej
This guys insane