Real life crime and murder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been fascinated with murder for as long as I can remember and I read and watch a huge amount of material on the subject.

Since I medically retired five years ago, my interest has only grown, especially with local newspapers reporting live from court on bigger cases and the ability to look at victims and defendants on social media, it's probably at obsessive levels now. In the UK, we don't actually find out the full details of the case until the first day of trial (which is absolutely how it should be) when the prosecution lay out their case but I do like to try and piece things together before then if I can. Social media is an absolutely goldmine for this. That's what interests me to be honest - people's relationships, interactions and motives.

The way I work is that I will read about a new murder on the BBC news website or maybe I'll see something on one of the local newspapers if I'm following a trial. I then have a look at Facebook and see if I can work out if it's likely to interest me. You can usually work out what kind of case it it - I'd say 85% of the time it will turn out to be drug related in some way. I'm particularly interested in cases involving the homeless community and vulnerable victims as I tend to feel these are the people that have been maybe forgotten in some way by society. I'm pretty hardened but those are the cases that really get to me and obviously child murders. I also really enjoy (if that's the right word) purely circumstantial cases and no body trials.

If it piques my interest, then it goes on my "trial calendar" (like I said, no judgement 😂) and I'll follow it through until conclusion. I had to start this as I was losing track! Certain local newspapers - Liverpool Echo, Essex Live, Teeside Live and Coventry Live are very good - usually do live reporting on bigger cases where one of their journalists sits in court and reports what's going on every day. I love this! It really gives you a feel for the case and the whole court process. I like to think I have a good understanding now of the legal system and sentencing guidelines (all self taught)

I check court listings to keep track of my trials and read judge's full sentencing remarks once the case is over (they are usually published in high profile cases and are very illuminating) I also have a list of unsolved cases, missing people, cases waiting for charges to be brought and inquest outcomes which I check on periodically.

I only have one active trial I'm following at the moment, which is due to restart again tomorrow after the Christmas break, and I have one new one starting tomorrow which I suspect will turn out to be drugs related. The week after, I have six new trials scheduled to start! Happy to share details and discuss if anyone is interested.

As for TV, I love 24 Hours in Police Custody. There's a two part special on tomorrow and Tuesday about a trial I actually followed so I'm looking forward that. Also, I don't usually follow cases in Scotland (or Wales) - I'm busy enough with England - but I did follow a no body trial there involving a vulnerable victim with learning difficulites. There is a programme on BBC2 this week about it on Wednesday - Murder Trial: The Disappearance of Margaret Fleming.

ITV did a couple of really good real life crime dramas last year - Manhunt and A Confession - and have a new one starting on Wednesday called White House Farm about Jeremy Bamber. I think it will be interesting to see what slant they take on it given Bamber still proclaims his innocence. I'm not sure he is but I do believe his conviction is unsafe.

My favourite USA real life crime shows are:

Cold Justice
The First 48
Disappeared
On The Case with Paula Zahn
Shattered
Reasonable Doubt
48 Hours
Dateline

So, there you go. My obsession laid bare.

Let's get chatting 😂

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 72
I love listening to murder/crime podcasts when running but it does mean that I'm too scared to run the forest tracks at the back of my house in the winter 👀😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
I love listening to murder/crime podcasts when running but it does mean that I'm too scared to run the forest tracks at the back of my house in the winter 👀😂
I need to get into podcasts more
- it's just that the trial calendar and real life crime TV is like a full time job sometimes 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I'm a little obsessive with this and wish it was at your levels, @Be More Pacific ! I think you'd like Criminal on Netflix, and Evil Genius, The Staircase and Making a Murderer but the last 3 are American cases. There's a book called The Jigsaw Man by Paul Brittain (I think...!!) which is an incredible read too.

I watch any sort of TV show I can - 24 Hours in Police Custody, Britain's Most Evil Killers, Inside Evil etc, but ways on the hunt for more!

I just find the MO and psychology behind why people kill fascinating. I could never do anything like that and a genuine fear of mine is killing someone by accident - in my car,.for instance - so to do it deliberately is just so alien to me.

I need to get into podcasts more
- it's just that the trial calendar and real life crime TV is like a full time job sometimes 🤣
All Killa No Filla is alright, I haven't listened to many as I'm behind on all my podcasts

• Heart
I was watching a Peter Sutcliffe documentary and heard noises from upstairs. I was convinced someone was in the house and my husband was 300 miles away. Long story short (and after my heart rate reached 127!) I'd locked the cat in a bedroom and we have a camera in the back garden now 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
I really like Forensic Files on Netflix UK - there’s about nine seasons and 400 episodes, quick 20 minute true life ‘whodunnit?’ style show. And more are being filmed in February! It’s my guilty pleasure, I also really enjoy Britain’s Darkest Taboos but I think that was removed from Netflix a little while back ☹
I find it fascinating and harrowing in a sick sort of way, especially from a psychological sort of viewpoint. There is one episode of forensic files which sticks with me, a man murdered his neighbour (IIRC) and took over his life, sending birthday cards to family under the dead man’s name, paying his bills so went totally undetected for ages! only found out through a forensic linguist analysing the handwriting on the birthday cards he had sent the daughter!

and I just sit and think well, I could never, my guilty conscience would have me Rumbled in seconds 😂

(I also really want to become a forensic linguist!)

• Wow
Reactions: 12
I'm a little obsessive with this and wish it was at your levels, @Be More Pacific ! I think you'd like Criminal on Netflix, and Evil Genius, The Staircase and Making a Murderer but the last 3 are American cases. There's a book called The Jigsaw Man by Paul Brittain (I think...!!) which is an incredible read too.

I watch any sort of TV show I can - 24 Hours in Police Custody, Britain's Most Evil Killers, Inside Evil etc, but ways on the hunt for more!

I just find the MO and psychology behind why people kill fascinating. I could never do anything like that and a genuine fear of mine is killing someone by accident - in my car,.for instance - so to do it deliberately is just so alien to me.

All Killa No Filla is alright, I haven't listened to many as I'm behind on all my podcasts
YAAS girl 🙌🏼

I loved The Jigsaw Man and the follow up, Picking Up The Pieces, by Paul Britton. I know he gets a lot of stick over the Colin Stagg honeytrap but there were plenty of reasons to suspect him and it was the police's idea! He was something of a fall guy in my opinion.

We have Netflix so I will check out those shows. I have watched The Staircase but ashamed to say I haven't seen Making A Murderer 😳

• Heart
YAAS girl 🙌🏼

I loved The Jigsaw Man and the follow up, Picking Up The Pieces, by Paul Britton. I know he gets a lot of stick over the Colin Stagg honeytrap but there were plenty of reasons to suspect him and it was the police's idea! He was something of a fall guy in my opinion.

We have Netflix so I will check out those shows. I have watched The Staircase but ashamed to say I haven't seen Making A Murderer 😳
I didn't know there was a follow up - what's wrong with me...! Am off to Amazon now.

Regarding Making a Murderer, season 1 is better than 2.

Have you seen/read Mindhunter?

Reactions: 2
I have loved true crime for many years. Love true crime podcasts and shows. Fave pods;

True crime enthusiast
They walk among us
Case file
Vanished
My favourite murder
True crime island
True crime all the time
True crime all the time unsolved
Criminology
The minds of madness

Plenty good docs on you tube, theres something wrong with aunt diane is fascinating and the US doc about paris Bennett. Cant remember the name but it's not the piers Morgan one. Forensic files is always a good watch.

Reactions: 6
I've just finished listening to Happy Face podcast which was great. It's interviews with a woman who found out her dad is a serial killer.

Reactions: 3
I've been fascinated with murder for as long as I can remember and I read and watch a huge amount of material on the subject.

Since I medically retired five years ago, my interest has only grown, especially with local newspapers reporting live from court on bigger cases and the ability to look at victims and defendants on social media, it's probably at obsessive levels now. In the UK, we don't actually find out the full details of the case until the first day of trial (which is absolutely how it should be) when the prosecution lay out their case but I do like to try and piece things together before then if I can. Social media is an absolutely goldmine for this. That's what interests me to be honest - people's relationships, interactions and motives.

The way I work is that I will read about a new murder on the BBC news website or maybe I'll see something on one of the local newspapers if I'm following a trial. I then have a look at Facebook and see if I can work out if it's likely to interest me. You can usually work out what kind of case it it - I'd say 85% of the time it will turn out to be drug related in some way. I'm particularly interested in cases involving the homeless community and vulnerable victims as I tend to feel these are the people that have been maybe forgotten in some way by society. I'm pretty hardened but those are the cases that really get to me and obviously child murders. I also really enjoy (if that's the right word) purely circumstantial cases and no body trials.

If it piques my interest, then it goes on my "trial calendar" (like I said, no judgement 😂) and I'll follow it through until conclusion. I had to start this as I was losing track! Certain local newspapers - Liverpool Echo, Essex Live, Teeside Live and Coventry Live are very good - usually do live reporting on bigger cases where one of their journalists sits in court and reports what's going on every day. I love this! It really gives you a feel for the case and the whole court process. I like to think I have a good understanding now of the legal system and sentencing guidelines (all self taught)

I check court listings to keep track of my trials and read judge's full sentencing remarks once the case is over (they are usually published in high profile cases and are very illuminating) I also have a list of unsolved cases, missing people, cases waiting for charges to be brought and inquest outcomes which I check on periodically.

I only have one active trial I'm following at the moment, which is due to restart again tomorrow after the Christmas break, and I have one new one starting tomorrow which I suspect will turn out to be drugs related. The week after, I have six new trials scheduled to start! Happy to share details and discuss if anyone is interested.

As for TV, I love 24 Hours in Police Custody. There's a two part special on tomorrow and Tuesday about a trial I actually followed so I'm looking forward that. Also, I don't usually follow cases in Scotland (or Wales) - I'm busy enough with England - but I did follow a no body trial there involving a vulnerable victim with learning difficulites. There is a programme on BBC2 this week about it on Wednesday - Murder Trial: The Disappearance of Margaret Fleming.

ITV did a couple of really good real life crime dramas last year - Manhunt and A Confession - and have a new one starting on Wednesday called White House Farm about Jeremy Bamber. I think it will be interesting to see what slant they take on it given Bamber still proclaims his innocence. I'm not sure he is but I do believe his conviction is unsafe.

My favourite USA real life crime shows are:

Cold Justice
The First 48
Disappeared
On The Case with Paula Zahn
Shattered
Reasonable Doubt
48 Hours
Dateline

So, there you go. My obsession laid bare.

Let's get chatting 😂
I completely felt the same until I began working at a law firm. I’m friendly with my colleagues in the criminal department and one of the girls showed me various photographs of a murder scene. I can honestly say the photos still haunt me to this day and will be forever etched in my brain. The victim was a girl I went to school with, her infant daughter witnessed the murder and her ex-boyfriend was the killer.

I really don’t know how my colleagues or even those on jury duty are able to cope with such imagery!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
I really like Forensic Files on Netflix UK - there’s about nine seasons and 400 episodes, quick 20 minute true life ‘whodunnit?’ style show. And more are being filmed in February! It’s my guilty pleasure, I also really enjoy Britain’s Darkest Taboos but I think that was removed from Netflix a little while back ☹
I find it fascinating and harrowing in a sick sort of way, especially from a psychological sort of viewpoint. There is one episode of forensic files which sticks with me, a man murdered his neighbour (IIRC) and took over his life, sending birthday cards to family under the dead man’s name, paying his bills so went totally undetected for ages! only found out through a forensic linguist analysing the handwriting on the birthday cards he had sent the daughter!

and I just sit and think well, I could never, my guilty conscience would have me Rumbled in seconds 😂

(I also really want to become a forensic linguist!)
Oh yes, Forensic Files. And I think I know the case you're taking about - it's been featured on other shows (you get that a lot when you watch as much as me - there are clearly not enough murders in the USA 😂)

Let me try and find it. Hang on. IIRC, the victim owed this house in the middle of nowhere in, I want to say, rural Ohio or Idaho, and the guy was his handyman who hid his body in the crawl space under the house.

Reactions: 2
ITV - Thursday at 9pk - Inside Belmarsh Prison with Ross Kemp. Not murder specific but still crime focused for those interested.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.